Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 16-01-2013, 13:03   #21
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

I was a fast reader as a kid but oddly after uni found my reading has slowed. Sometimes I read two books in parallel - one fiction and one non-fiction, but normally it's just one. Depending on the length I usually take a month or two to read a book - but if I'm reading something big and heavy I don't take it if I go on travel, so find a paperback of something else instead. That's why it took me about 18 months to read my Folio Peloponnesian War!

Mainly I read last thing in bed, but I'd really like to read for an hour in the evening if I could. We're trying to persuade our younger one to read for an hour some evenings instread of being glued to Facebook/Dragonvale so maybe I'll join in!
Old 17-01-2013, 13:26   #22
Guest 22025
Steppin' Razor

Usually a book a week, maybe a little bit more if they're really good books or short.
Getting a kindle a couple of years ago has probably helped a bit as now when I finish something I'll usually have something else lined up to read (or can read an old favorite).
Guest 22025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 16:04   #23
tizza
cranial deficient

Not nearly as much as I used to due to no time. Took A clockwork Orange to work to read (have started on the classics, bought it in poundland recently!lol) in the spare time and Im struggling halfway thru it.

Used to read a lot when I was younger, too many modern distractions now.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:37   #24
drush9999
Trusted User

I go through phases where I'm only reading, gaming or watching movies and TV. Can read a medium sized 400 page novel in one nightly session. So have read 5 or so books in a week plenty of times. But then I'm not doing that week in week out depends how I feel.
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:57   #25
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

I used to read quite a lot, especially when I was between jobs. I kinda stopped reading "proper" books about four or five years ago and took to mostly graphic novels and comics for a couple of years. I slowly started reading again though (only about 2-3 books per year) and then it picked up more when I bought a Kindle at the start of last year (although I still only read about 9 or 10 books in the whole year). I've found myself in recent years more interested in non-fictional books.

Just joined Goodreads and rated all the books I can remember reading over the years. I can't seem to get the recommendations page working though, it just hangs.... Anyone else experiencing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I'm frankly amazed that people can read 400+ books in year, and the thought of finishing a book in one sitting is genuinely astounding to me.
The second time I read Fight Club, I did it in one sitting, in the garden on a gorgeous hot day (the book is only about 200 pages though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza View Post
Not nearly as much as I used to due to no time. Took A clockwork Orange to work to read (have started on the classics, bought it in poundland recently!lol) in the spare time and Im struggling halfway thru it.
I read ACO (years ago) in a couple of sittings, which made it much easier to get a grasp on the linguistics of it. Fortunately, it's only a short book (IIRC ~150 pages).

Last edited by ourmatetone; 20-01-2013 at 14:00.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 15:59   #26
Guest 1330
No Wakka for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
Just joined Goodreads and rated all the books I can remember reading over the years. I can't seem to get the recommendations page working though, it just hangs.... Anyone else experiencing this?
I've just tried and my recommendations page seems to be working but they do have quite a few server hiccups; it's not the most reliable site I've seen but a good community on there. Possible it will take a while for the site to generate some recommendations if you've just joined though, if it's still not working just give it a day and if no good you could check the 'goodreads feedback' group on there.
Guest 1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:35   #27
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

OK, nice one. Cheers Fozzy.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote