Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 26-01-2011, 21:53   #1
Soprano
Walking the line

Audio books any good?

I'm on the road at least 3 hrs per day for work and while reading World War Z, noticed there is an audio version available. No point me getting that now, as I'm midway through the book.

But has anyone listened to a good one they would recommend?

open to almost anything..
Old 26-01-2011, 22:27   #2
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano View Post
I'm on the road at least 3 hrs per day for work and while reading World War Z, noticed there is an audio version available. No point me getting that now, as I'm midway through the book.

But has anyone listened to a good one they would recommend?

open to almost anything..
If you like cricket , David Lloyds " Start the Car " is good , read by the great man himself
Old 26-01-2011, 23:57   #3
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Audio books any good?

Any of the Lee child jack reacher novels are great audio books.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks and have found that even if the reading is off, you quickly get into it anyway.

Therefore I suggest just getting the audio version of any book you think you'd like.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 20:26   #4
0r1n0c0
Wombling free....

yes - if you're driving that much, audio books are great! Not sure I could do my 1hr20 commute with out having them!

You should check out your local library service - mine do a download service (they remain active for 7 or 14 days) for free and they work on most players (that are wma compatible). Its not the largest collection ever, but will keep you going for a long while (and obviously cheap)!
Old 28-01-2011, 00:27   #5
cliff homewood
Trusted User

It may depend on your stereo (and air conditioning) but I found whilst it'll be ok this time off year, in the summer found every time I opened a window, and I really wanted to open a window, I couldn't catch everything that was being said.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 21:15   #6
Taq
Evil Scientist

I found the problem of audio books when I'm driving is that I started to pay far more attention to them than usual music and less on the road in front of me, so I stopped after a short while
Old 29-01-2011, 23:20   #7
Vulcan101
More DVD's please

Try the Spellman Files - it's about a dysfunctional family of Private investigators in San Francisco. One of the funniest things I've heard in ages.

Another vote for the Dresden Files series - read by James Marsters, good stories part hard-boiled detective/ part wizard.
“Life is not an easy matter. You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness” Leon Trotsky
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 00:16   #8
seventy3
Fanatic [film & PFC]

Christopher Brookmyre is a sure-fire winner. In print he is excellent and I recently listened to 'The Sacred Art Of Stealing', 10cd unabridged and it's a great listen.
Old 31-01-2011, 21:46   #9
Guest 19918
If you know yer history..

I have hundreds of them and even got the wife into them so much that we recently cancelled our Virgin TV sub and tend to have one running in the back ground during the evening. Listening to one as I type this!

Anyway, recommendations.

Lee Child as have been said. Terry Goodkind, Stephen Kings Dark Tower, Michael Connelly to name but a few.

Best to take a look at http://www.audible.co.uk/
Guest 19918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 22:08   #10
wobbly Jelly
Trusted User

Try Hitchhikers Guide ... as these were radio plays they seem better - also keep an eye (ear) on what's on radio 7.

Some audiobooks unless you have a clue to the story . characters you can struggle especially some american ones - try the library.

While in Sweden someone in office had the da Vinci Code to help their English - it was like a bad version of 'hello hello' "beware Ze germans" etc
Old 26-05-2011, 11:42   #11
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Rather late to the party but I quite liked autobiogs read by the author - quite a nice personal feel to them. Michael J Fox has written 2, the second of which is more about his later life and how he dealt with Parkinson's. Roger Moore's autobiog is very good but not heard the audio version he did. I do tend to go for "actor" based ones I suppose.

Audible is a good source of audiobooks. They also have downloads of radio comedy as well (all the Mitchell and Webb that was on radio before they came to tv, for example).

With decent headphones they can make mowing the lawn far less of a chore!
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:25   #12
Guest 79558
Trusted User

The Audiobook of World War Z is excellent, because I think the book is written in such a way that is sounds like the same voice telling each story. The audio book has different people, each of which are very good voice actors, so it's actually better for it.
Guest 79558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:26   #13
Guest 79558
Trusted User

The audiobook of Michael Caine's 'What's it all about' is really good.

If you're driving a lot, there's some great podcasts out too. I'll not post about it here cos I'm new to these forums, not sure if podcasts are discussed elsewhere.

Last edited by OMG; 26-05-2011 at 12:28.
Guest 79558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 21:02   #14
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

The Nerd Do Well audio book was dire... Simon Pegg is ***** at narrating.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:34   #15
jerryg

If you like World War Z, then try downloading 'We're Alive' its a free podcast on itunes which you can just burn onto a CD for the car. Each episode is about 20 mins long and last time I looked there were about 12 of em.

I really liked it and used to listen on the train. Even though it's amateur it's really well done. And free.

There are loads of these kind of things on i-tunes but not sure what the rest are like, so probably a bit hit and miss.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 20:01   #16
The3rdMan
Trusted User

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver - I cannot recommend it highly enough. A cracking ghost story and the narrator gives a really authentic feel to it. I listened to it in pitch blackness over the winter months and was terrified. Brilliant and I await something like it to come along soon.
The3rdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 14:23   #17
ellispa
Trusted User

If you like it, the Dark Materials trilogy from Phillip Pulman are pretty great audio books - Pulman himself is the narrator, but the speaking parts are all played by actors. Its very well done and an excellent listen.

Book publishers really do need to get with the times, though. They should be embracing new technologies a bit more, and making it easier for people to switch between the different formats. If I buy an audio book (which can be pretty expensive), they should really throw in a ebook version of the book as well in the same way that BluRays seem to come with both a DVD and a Digital Copy these days. Same with a physical book, it should come with a way to download an ebook - I like having books on my shelf, but I can get through a few books while on holiday that I would rather not have to carry around when i have an Ipad that can do the same job!

I get that an audio book is something different from a hardback, as there is a cost to produce it. But ebooks are pretty much cost free to distribute. I might buy more audio books if they came with a free version of the ebook as well.

Sticking to Phillip Pulman, they released an app of his book The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, which included both an ebook, and an audiobook, and the option of listening to the audiobook as it displayed the text. It also had links to various reviews of the book, and other essays on religion and other related topics. And it cost the same Ł10 that the hardback version of the book cost. It seemed to me that this was an excellent product that was value for money - pity no one else seems to have cottoned on to it. The only downside is it is difficult to then lend the book to a friend, although I guess from a publishers point of view that might be a selling point rather that a downside.
ellispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 14:17   #18
simong
I'm taking it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3rdMan View Post
Dark Matter by Michelle Paver - I cannot recommend it highly enough. A cracking ghost story and the narrator gives a really authentic feel to it. I listened to it in pitch blackness over the winter months and was terrified. Brilliant and I await something like it to come along soon.
Another vote for Dark Matter here. Picked up Bram Stoker's Dracula (abridged) from Poundland the other day, read by Richard E. Grant and looking forward to giving it a listen.
Also enjoyed some H. P. Lovecraft short stories. Can be a bit hit and miss, but a great listen for the most part.

Last edited by simong; 13-07-2011 at 14:18.
simong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 23:57   #19
McMikey
Trusted User

enjoyed good omens read by Stephen Briggs. Th ebook itself is a comedy about the end of the world. Pratchett/Gaiman are the authors

had read it before but enjoyed the audiobook
McMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 21:29   #20
sharp_circle
Fantasist

All of Brandon Sanderson are fantastic audio books (I particularly recommend Elantris as an opener, then the mistborn series), as are Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller series

Another fantastically read series are the Jim Butcher Dresdon Files . Lots of them and the narrator get's the tone of the books absolutely perfectly.

I'm currently listening to The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch which after a fairly rubbish opening has turned out to be one of my favourite ever audio books.

Last edited by sharp_circle; 16-08-2011 at 21:29.
sharp_circle is offline   Reply With Quote