Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 14:05   #1381
General Zod
Kryptonian

Want to see Pixies at Ally Pally in September...but they're playing on a Thursday...at 10am....
Old 03-04-2019, 14:08   #1382
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Want to see Pixies at Ally Pally in September...but they're playing on a Thursday...at 10am....
🤣 They really aren't.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:42   #1383
ascender
Trusted User

Grumpy middle aged man alert....

I think I'm now all in favour of the militant banning of phones from gigs, particularly those at smaller venues. The last couple I've been to have been a sea of phones and last night's in a smaller seated venue was a bit of a 'mare. Some people obviously recording the odd song or getting some pics, but then you have ********* using their phone a lot to check mails, facebook etc. Some guys spent most of the gig taking videos of them, the stage, them singing, all of which was obviously done with the flash on.

And as for those who spend the majority of the gig just talking to their mates or shouting for the band to play their Biggest Song Ever™ at every break in the music.

Honestly, I know its hard at my age not to be a bit Larry David about every little thing, but who pays Ł70+ for a ticket, gets ****** up and carries on like they're in the terraces in the 80s. Baffling.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:53   #1384
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I've never understood anyone going to a gig, cinema, theatre etc. and spending their time doing anything but watching what they paid to see. I think it is because many people are ******* idiots.
I'm fairly lucky in that I only tend to go and watch pretty heavy bands in smaller venues so people don't to spend much time on their phones for fear of having them knocked out of their hands and any talking is drowned out by the distortion.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:04   #1385
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Obviously Ryan Adams not Bryan Adams. BTW Summer of ‘69 is about the sexual position not the year - Bryan Adams was born in 1959...
Jim Vallance, who co-wrote the song and was born in 1952, has always said it is about the year. Hence the apostrophe before the 69.
Bryan Adams was just trying to look cool.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 14:20   #1386
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
I've never understood anyone going to a gig, cinema, theatre etc. and spending their time doing anything but watching what they paid to see. I think it is because many people are ******* idiots.
I'm fairly lucky in that I only tend to go and watch pretty heavy bands in smaller venues so people don't to spend much time on their phones for fear of having them knocked out of their hands and any talking is drowned out by the distortion.
Sadly too many people don;t give a **** about others these days.

I once wnt to an Alabama 3 acoustic gig and the people in front of me got really arsey when I asked them to stop their long and loud conversation. Gits.

The most extreme was when a fight broke out at a gig I was at because someone wouldn't shut up. There was a police wagon outside as we left. The gig inm question was by Low. I mean who the **** goes to a Low gig and chats all the way through it.
Thanked 2 times by:
ascender (10-06-2019), DeadYankee (17-05-2019)
Old 17-05-2019, 09:19   #1387
GregB
Stagger Lee

Just added The National to my list
Old 04-06-2019, 14:15   #1388
Blokie13
Trusted User

We have tickets for Bon Jovi (with Manics as support) on Friday 21st June at Wembley Stadium and Sunday 23rd at Ricoh Arena (Coventry).

Can't wait!!!
Blokie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 14:38   #1389
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,262 Times in 1,087 Posts
Abbath: Islington, January 2020.

2020? God.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 13:53   #1390
ascender
Trusted User

Its been a busy wee while (relatively speaking).

James - touring their latest album with themselves as support doing an acoustic set was an incredible experience. I've said a few times that they're on a real creative streak at the moment and it showed in their arrangements of the songs, the setlist and how they played.

Noel Gallagher - Thanks to a work thing I ended up seeing them twice in a week in Edinburgh and London at the Playhouse and Palladium. I'm a big fan of his solo stuff and its clear he's having an absolute ball with his new band and lack of "baggage" from the end-days of Oasis. Band were on top form and my only criticism would be that he played a few too many Oasis songs.

Stereophonics - They did what they always do which is a rocking gig from start to finish, with hit after hit. Spot on performance, great atmosphere, again in a much smaller venue than you'd normally see them.

Kelly Jones - Stripped down, acoustic show, again in a small-is venue. Along with a few other musicians he did some solo stuff, couple of covers, reworked a lot of Stereophonics songs to just be with guitar, piano & violin. Was a really special experience and felt privileged to have seen it. Great to see him doing something different although you do the impression from him that he never stops working. He also seemed to be revelling in the chance to do something totally contrasting to normal gigs. Had the same feel to the James gig that it was a one-off type thing which I wish they'd record/film and release.

Muse - 20 years since I got their debut album and this was the first time my son saw them live. I remember him dancing away in his child seat to The Resistance album and he loves their stuff so it was great to see how much he enjoyed the show. First stadium gig for aw while - the sound was brilliant and their staging was incredible.

They really put on a proper show and experience, all around the themes of their current album. Reminds me of the U2 gig from last year - it was one of the most amazing live shows I've seen. Neither seem to change the setlist night to night, so they've put together a proper spectacle using the latest and greatest technology they can to frame the songs they're playing.

Tom Morello was supporting Muse and boy can he play guitar. Which isn't news, but I'd never seen him live before. They also had support from a local band Pale Waves - I'll check them out later as what I heard was really catchy stuff.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote