Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 13:56   #21
avid fan
Trusted User

I recently got through Neil Gaimen's American Gods, and the first of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Both were excellent (in no small part due to George Guidall's narration).

However, probably the most enjoyable thing I've listened to recently is BBC Radio 4's History of America by David reynolds - called 'Empire of Liberty'.

It's a set of three volumes (volume 1's called 'Liberty and Slavery') and I can't get enough of them. Each volume is over 6 hours, but split into 15 minute episodes, so it's not information overload. Also, it's done with lots of talking head quotes etc which breaks it up and gives it a well produced feel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/America-Empi...0673784&sr=1-1

I've been trying to find similar historical audiobooks for my journeys to work. The other main (recent) BBC radio ones (The Wild East - Russian history - but may be a bit heavy going), whilst English history is covered by the mammoth 'This Sceptred isle' collection (but this doesn't draw me in as the American one has).
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:58   #22
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The audiobook of Alan Partridge: Lets talk about Alan is genius well worth a purchase.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 14:20   #23
CS
Jedi Master

Jack Reacher books by Lee Child are very good audio books. Read by Dick Hill (except 1, the 3rd book IIRC), and read very well.

Spacecorps Directive 34124 - No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 14:28   #24
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
The audiobook of Alan Partridge: Lets talk about Alan is genius well worth a purchase.
Agreed - as read by Alan, it's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 17:44   #25
arma_uk
Trusted User

I'll second that - it's "lovely stuff!"
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 06:31   #26
Mike Mither
Trusted User

I'm currently listening to Richard Matheson's I am Legend, as read by Dean Robertson - his solemn reading is perfect for the world-weary tone of the novel. It's one I've been meaning to read for ages and I'm enjoying the audiobook a lot. I'm a fan of the old Vincent Price film The Last Man on Earth, which seems a lot more faithful to the book than does the frankly awful Will Smith vehicle.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:27   #27
Dno
StolenBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
Absolutely..

I've just finished this with a one month (one free book) trial of audible. On trying to cancel my subscription, they then went on to offer 3 further months at half price, so I'll stick with them for a bit longer and try a few more things out.

I listened to it a while back, but I also really enjoyed Richard Matheson's I Am Legend.

I've not read World War Z, so might give that a try next.
Dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 15:22   #28
daboy3000
Gone

Where's the best place to buy and download these from? I did look a audible.co.uk but I want to play them in the car and I think you need to use their player. My Alpine supports WMA, AAC and MP3.
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 17:13   #29
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
Where's the best place to buy and download these from? I did look a audible.co.uk but I want to play them in the car and I think you need to use their player. My Alpine supports WMA, AAC and MP3.
Audible works, but you have to do it in conjunction with iTunes.

Perhaps this link explains the process better - certainly worked for me.

Last edited by Alan b; 22-12-2011 at 18:38.
Mike Mither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:30   #30
Guest 20043
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
Another fantastically read series are the Jim Butcher Dresdon Files . Lots of them and the narrator get's the tone of the books absolutely perfectly.
I know James MArters (spike from buffy) did a few of them ...

Anyways im currently listening to Jim Butchers Codex Alera series and the voice actress in this is very good i would recomend a listen !

Anyone tried the game of thrones audio books ?
Guest 20043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 11:03   #31
CS
Jedi Master

Got Codex Alera to listen to next after finishing Dresden Files for the 5th time (up to the 10th book again now) and also Game Of Thrones and the 2nd one too. Audio books piling up with no time to listen :S

Spacecorps Directive 34124 - No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 13:37   #32
amkhan
Insert witty comment here

been listening to James Axler's Deathlands.. on book 43 at right now, and the series is a belter!.

One or two turkeys in the series so far but these are REALLY good, after this i'm moving over to Outlanders..

Thing about these audio books is that the production quality is stunning . The characters are voiced by trained actors and so much better than audio books with just a narrator doing all the voices. Also, they have sound effects too which really adds to the experience.

here

Last edited by amkhan; 18-05-2012 at 13:40.
amkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:19   #33
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Thirteen Days To Midnight
Great audio book. Hard to get though. I had to go through Audible.com
Clip contains spoilers! but the 1st 30 seconds gives you an idea.Dont listen past that or spoil it he will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYHQbbxxOg

The Steve Jobs bio is also a good listen.

Last edited by Spooksta; 21-05-2012 at 17:29.
Spooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 13:56   #34
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
I know James MArters (spike from buffy) did a few of them ...

Anyways im currently listening to Jim Butchers Codex Alera series and the voice actress in this is very good i would recomend a listen !

Yeah James Marsters does the 1st 12, 13 was done by some other awful guy so I actually had to read Ghost Story, oh the horror

Codex Alera is a simply stunning set of books. I haven't done the audio books, I read them but I loved every minute of the.

I started listening to GOT on audio but couldn't get on with the narrator.

Brandon Sandersons books, all of them, are fantastically read. The mistborn series, the way of kings, Elantris (which is an awesome standalone) and finally warbreaker, which is a free ebook. Warbreaker is probably the hardest of his books to get into but as with his other,s it's brilliant once you do. I think the same guy reads all of them which helps.
Old 25-06-2012, 14:33   #35
Guest 83037

Yes, audio books are a great method to 'do' literature as you can listen even while driving. Strangely enough I NEVER read fiction, preferring biographies, sports and travel but I do like to listen to the occasional short story - Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea is my favourite.
Guest 83037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 09:16   #36
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,040 Times in 862 Posts
Open Culture - 450 free public domain audio books

Quote:
The best free cultural & educational media on the web

What is Open Culture’s Mission?

Open Culture brings together high-quality cultural & educational media for the worldwide lifelong learning community. Web 2.0 has given us great amounts of intelligent audio and video. It’s all free. It’s all enriching. But it’s also scattered across the web, and not easy to find. Our whole mission is to centralize this content, curate it, and give you access to this high quality content whenever and wherever you want it. Free audio books, free online courses, free movies, free language lessons, free ebooks and other enriching content — it’s all here. Open Culture was founded in 2006.

Who is Behind Open Culture?

Dan Colman, the lead editor, is the Director & Associate Dean of Stanford’s Continuing Studies Program. Before that, he served as the Managing Director of AllLearn, an e-learning consortium owned by Stanford, Oxford and Yale, and as the Director of Business Development and Editorial Manager at About.com. He received his PhD and MA from Stanford, and his BA from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The common thread running through his career is his interest in bringing relevant, perspective-changing information to large audiences, often with the help of the internet.

Open Culture receives about 1.7 million visits per month and has over 150,000 subscribers.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 10:10   #37
James45
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
I got Storm of Swords pt 1 (that I'm listening to as I finish reading Clash of Kings oddly enough, but I'm up to date with the TV series so no spoiler worries) as part of audible's 30 day free trial and it's very good.

Roy Dotrice (Wesley's Dad from Angel and Mozart's dad from Amadeus) reads and for the most is excellent, some of his characterizations can be a little off putting if you've already got a firm idea of the character in your head, Tyrion for instance sounds like a country bumpkin (not a grumpkin) compared to Peter Dinklage's portrayal in the TV series. I struggle to place some of the accents he uses, I can't think anyone in the UK speaks like that now, which is great for the fantasy aspect.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote