Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 12:39   #21
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

AKPIggot speaks the truth, the same is true of Y The Last Man.

Another done in one book is Orbiter by Warren Ellis... nicely topical due to NASA's recent achievement too

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 13:14   #22
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Garth Ennis, the writer of Preacher, to me is like the Tarantino of comics and Preacher is his masterwork. So if you like colourful characters and language, black humour, religious satire and some sharp writing Preacher is your man (also a fair bit of violence).
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 16:44   #23
daboy3000
Gone

I have never understood why adults read comics, I do enjoy superhero films etc but would much rather read a book. I am not trying to undermine anyone or say that comics are for kids etc, what is it about them that makes them so enjoyable? I feel like i'm missing out or missing something.
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 16:58   #24
Roy

Like an storytelling medium it has its strengths and weaknesses.

When done right the art and writing work in such synergy (sorry buzzword!) that it is possible to communciate a huge range of emotion, or drama or action.

Where books rely on exposition to put across motivations or context or scenery and films rely on techniques such as lingering shots or rapid cut scenes to put across energy or emotion, comics seem to be able to do both without breaking the pace of a story.

Comics are like storyboards for films in some ways, although what you can do in a panel is often much wider in scope than film is able to do.

All imho of course The very idea that people dismiss a whole medium because of its format is very narrow minded.

"I don't/won't read comics" is much like saying "I don't like films, or music, or books, or art".

Roy@Flickr
Old 06-08-2012, 17:43   #25
daboy3000
Gone

Thanks, that's a good explanation. I did read one of the Terry Pratchett books in the form of a graphic novel, which to me is similar to a comic book but it just did nothing for me. Also I have always loved the artwork in comics when i've flicked through some of my friends, maybe one day i'll give it another shot.
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 18:12   #26
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

You just need the right comic to click and then it'll be OK. Most of the titles here are good places to start but if you tried, say, Preacher, and decided you still didnt like comics, I'd be amazed. It does things no film could ever do.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 18:17   #27
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
Thanks, that's a good explanation. I did read one of the Terry Pratchett books in the form of a graphic novel, which to me is similar to a comic book but it just did nothing for me. Also I have always loved the artwork in comics when i've flicked through some of my friends, maybe one day i'll give it another shot.
Bear in mind that what you saw was an adaptation of another medium, in general I don't find adaptations from one medium to another work very well, or at least not compared to examples of where something has been specificlly written to take account of the way it is to be presented.

For example, even though some of its context is a little dated now, Watchmen does things that are impossible to do with a book or a film.

It's not a question of one being better than another, a great film will take advantage of its techniques, a great comic will do the same.

Roy@Flickr
Old 07-08-2012, 09:24   #28
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
I have never understood why adults read comics, I do enjoy superhero films etc but would much rather read a book. I am not trying to undermine anyone or say that comics are for kids etc, what is it about them that makes them so enjoyable? I feel like i'm missing out or missing something.
probably because people read comics as children, then stop reading them and thinking that they stay for children.

For example, people say the same about animation - that it's just for kids. Try showing them some hentai (as an extreme example) and then see what they say

Same with comics. Some of the best stories of recent times have been those in comic books. Some comics have even won literary awards.

If you ask Neil Gaimen - somebody who works in a lot of mediums (film, comic, book etc) then he has said that there are things and ideas that he can only convey in comics due to the scope of the format. Sometimes the visual impact of a still comic frame can reveal and convey a lot more than a description in a book.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:26   #29
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

forgot to add Hellblazer and Books of Magic to the list if they haven't been added before
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05   #30
cliff homewood
Trusted User

For me comics is the best of both worlds, films are great but are no good at portraying inner monologues, the internal of what makes someone tick, whereas books are good at doing that but are no good at visuals, comics can combine the best of both worlds.

Whether you like comics or not what will probably depend a lot on what comic you picked up and whether it was for your liking, which is why I tried to lay out what Preacher entails in my previous post. The pure range of comcis is probably missed on most people who just see the superhero mainstream, Maus for instance is a great book, another classic, but this time its the biography of the writers dad surviving Auschwitz. It all depends on your type of thing, Joe Sacco does great war journalism (Palestine, Safe Area Gorschadz). I generally find out what people like and then recommend a suitable comic if I can.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:42   #31
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I've recently started on The Walking Dead and finding that to be MASSIVELY over hyped, every character is a pretty feeble caricature and the dialogue is truly awful at times, but storyline and setting has potential so I'll stick with it to see if it improves.
Well, I stuck with it and after about 15 chapters the series finally starts to find it's feet and improves immeasurably by the time you get closer to 50chapters in, so I'll just be the latest in a long line to recommend this series to anyone serious about getting into comics. I only make this post to say Gantz is definitely an easy recommendation to anyone getting into The Walking Dead who would like to try something similarly survival-themed but with a little dark humour and more science-fiction themes/action.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:38   #32
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Seen the Gantz movie, wasnt impressed, dont know how well it compares. Had a great start though.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34   #33
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah the Gantz movies are crap & only minutely faithful to the source at best. The comics don't have the depth of The Walking Dead & in typically-Japanese fashion there's a puerile obsession with sex & nudity, but it's a pretty well written comic with some great action.

Last edited by Shingster; 12-08-2012 at 11:35.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53   #34
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Personally i'd go for Y: The last man has the best apocalyptic survival comic.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 19:06   #35
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

As the OP I'd just like to jump in and say thanks everyone for all the great suggestions, I'm currently reading some Hell Boy and really enjoying it, and I'll be looking at lots of the other titles too.
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 16:49   #36
HYPOBOXER
Trusted User

Yeah agreed Y is probably the most entertaining comic series available. Im 41 in a month and still collect comic books but I also read alot of novels and watch a ton of movies. But to me personally its usually the Comic that amazes me the most. Its not often that a TV series will shock me but the Walking Dead has done this many times over the past few years. Its probably because writers and artists can truely express themselves visually that I love the most. And look at cinema now. Most of the biggest grossing movies would not exist without Comic book inspiration.
What fills me with dread though are the adaptations to TV series or Movies. The Walking Dead series is not half as good as the comic. I hope they dont make Y because its good as it is, and the Preacher movie. Please you could not fit the first book into a 2 hour film.

But I agree with the suggestions above.

Planetary - Superb
League of Gentlemen - Bat**** insane but good for multiple reads
The Boys - Superb twisted fun (and you can get the Black Dossier in trade now)
Savior - If you can track it down its great
Walking Dead - essential

If you are not sure go to the library, most have great Graphic Novel sections and they are dead good for testing the waters before you start buying.

Last edited by HYPOBOXER; 23-08-2012 at 16:53.
HYPOBOXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:15   #37
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Brian Wood's DMZ is one of my favourite series of recent years. Highly recommended.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote