Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 10-05-2020, 09:24   #161
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I thought it was really classy how basically the PL have threatened some clubs if they don’t tow the line, screw the concerns about family members and staff you’re playing football.

Slowly inching towards the super league they want.

Hopefully the scumbags go under and start from scratch.
LOL I think you'll find it is a minority of small clubs trying to threaten the rest of the PL by using using the deaths of 10s of thousands of people to cover up abject failure.

Once the govt has announced it is safe to go back to work, every other worker and business will be expected to go back to work; footballers and football clubs included.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:58   #162
malcy

It’s turkeys voting for Christmas. All the teams objecting to a restart and making various reasons why they shouldn’t are those teams at risk of relegation.

Is a problem when they structured the league voting as 1 team 1 vote so you need 2/3 ie 14 agreeing to anything. Should be the case that management of PL making the decisions and if a club doesn’t like it they can be expelled from the PL and see if the FL let them join.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:04   #163
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Just seen on Twitter ... "Ironic that these teams that are so desperate to stay in the PL also don't currently want to play in it".

Oh look, over a month since their last cases and with no other reported cases in the top 2 divisions for over a month ... conveniently a 3rd Brighton player has some how managed to catch Covid-19, on the eve of a PL meeting, despite all the social distancing and self-isolation rules currently in place. Shame for them that they still have 24 other healthy players to choose from.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:27   #164
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
LOL I think you'll find it is a minority of small clubs trying to threaten the rest of the PL by using using the deaths of 10s of thousands of people to cover up abject failure.

Once the govt has announced it is safe to go back to work, every other worker and business will be expected to go back to work; footballers and football clubs included.
So footballers should be forced (by the PL) to play if they're not comfortable, let me just get this straight its what you're saying?

What if some of your beloved Liverpool players were not comfortable playing, what if Trent or van Dijk lived with a vulnerable family member? Elder family members or someone in remission, you'd just expect them to play would you? I assume they should just be forced to be away from their family?

Because a normal job wouldn't expect them because they would be at risk.

I'm sure you'd be piping up if 2 or 3 of you influential players couldn't play for whatever reason, because football is obviously more important than health.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:13   #165
basegreen
neergesab

Liverpool *
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 13:28   #166
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
So footballers should be forced (by the PL) to play if they're not comfortable, let me just get this straight its what you're saying?

What if some of your beloved Liverpool players were not comfortable playing, what if Trent or van Dijk lived with a vulnerable family member? Elder family members or someone in remission, you'd just expect them to play would you? I assume they should just be forced to be away from their family?
Everyone is meant to be living apart from vulnerable family members - or if they can't they shouldn't be going out.

If the odd LFC player got it then they would be quarantined away from the rest of the rest of the squad who would carry on as normal.

Nobody is forcing anyone to doing anything but ... if you don't play you don't get paid and if your club faces a situation where they can't field a team due to that (when the League has decided it is safe to carry on) then your club will start forfeiting games.

The PL, just like all the other league who are about to restart, will have protocols in place to handle such scenarios. One of the early ideas was that players would be kept together for the whole time; presumably the idea being that if you don't come in to contact within anyone who has it then you can't get it.

Quote:
Because a normal job wouldn't expect them because they would be at risk.
Footballers are no different to any other employee. If the govt announce it is safe for you go back to work but you phone up your work saying "sorry, I am not comfortable coming in to work" then you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think you will still have a job the next day.
Old 10-05-2020, 15:51   #167
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Everyone is meant to be living apart from vulnerable family members - or if they can't they shouldn't be going out.

If the odd LFC player got it then they would be quarantined away from the rest of the rest of the squad who would carry on as normal.

Nobody is forcing anyone to doing anything but ... if you don't play you don't get paid and if your club faces a situation where they can't field a team due to that (when the League has decided it is safe to carry on) then your club will start forfeiting games.

The PL, just like all the other league who are about to restart, will have protocols in place to handle such scenarios. One of the early ideas was that players would be kept together for the whole time; presumably the idea being that if you don't come in to contact within anyone who has it then you can't get it.

Footballers are no different to any other employee. If the govt announce it is safe for you go back to work but you phone up your work saying "sorry, I am not comfortable coming in to work" then you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think you will still have a job the next day.
So if you lived with a vulnerable family member and you couldn’t live apart you’d be fine going to work and putting them at risk would you?

Notice you ignored my question about whether you’re have a problem if more than a few Liverpool players were not comfortable. Not if they got it themselves but more if it could effect people close to them.

To try and claim football is like normal job is also laughable, no other job pays you 20k a week for 3 years regardless of whether you actually perform or not.

I’m sure the PL would love forfeited games , which means much to your and their annoyance they unfortunately have to have the ok from than the top 6.

Last edited by Jez; 10-05-2020 at 15:54.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 16:01   #168
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Footballers are no different to any other employee.
But they are really aren’t they? Most people can go into work and manage some form of social distancing but football is all about tackling and cuddling each other at corners and after scoring, although that’s easy to stop.

When the season starts I assume the players will be kept together as a group rather than allowed to go home? Lots have proved they think this stay at home business doesn’t apply to them so no guarantee they will behave and stick to some form of social distancing when not playing.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 17:28   #169
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
So if you lived with a vulnerable family member and you couldn’t live apart you’d be fine going to work and putting them at risk would you?

Notice you ignored my question about whether you’re have a problem if more than a few Liverpool players were not comfortable. Not if they got it themselves but more if it could effect people close to them.

To try and claim football is like normal job is also laughable, no other job pays you 20k a week for 3 years regardless of whether you actually perform or not.

I’m sure the PL would love forfeited games , which means much to your and their annoyance they unfortunately have to have the ok from than the top 6.
If the league really wanted to, they would have more than enough votes to curtail the season now and relegate the bottom three. And would have the added weight of the FA behind them who have veto on such matters.

There are also more than enough to block any move to null and void as all the top 8 teams, currently, would vote against.

Are players different to every other employee ? Quite possibly ... I was forgetting that no other worker will be tested EVERY OTHER DAY when they return to work.
Old 10-05-2020, 18:20   #170
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
If the league really wanted to, they would have more than enough votes to curtail the season now and relegate the bottom three. And would have the added weight of the FA behind them who have veto on such matters.

There are also more than enough to block any move to null and void as all the top 8 teams, currently, would vote against.

Are players different to every other employee ? Quite possibly ... I was forgetting that no other worker will be tested EVERY OTHER DAY when they return to work.
Still ignoring all the points?

Every other day now, seems to change that.
Old 10-05-2020, 18:26   #171
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Well that's BoJo telling the footballers to get back to work tomorrow
Old 10-05-2020, 21:06   #172
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

...but they must still social distance...so they won't be!

...I'm sure some of the big stars...the £100k+ a week ones...will just refuse to play on the advice of their agents and family cos it's not convincingly safe to do so, and there's sweet FA the PL can do about that!

...19/20 season, the pandemic season, winners, Liverpool *, **, ***, ****
Old 10-05-2020, 21:29   #173
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...but they must still social distance...so they won't be!
It's **** easy to return to training and maintain social distance. In fact 3/4 Premier League teams AFAIK have been doing it for nearly a week already

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
I'm sure some of the big stars...the £100k+ a week ones...will just refuse to play on the advice of their agents and family cos it's not convincingly safe to do so, and there's sweet FA the PL can do about that!
Which is totally fine and no one is suggesting they can't do that. Just so long as they don't expect to get paid and there is sweet FA the player or their agent can do about it. But then, with the exception of Aguero - who thinks he speaks for every player in the league ( even though his own team mates disagree with him ) - the only players who seem to have spoken out about returning play ... drum roll please ... for one of the bottom 6 LOL

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 10-05-2020 at 21:30.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:07   #174
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Why is there such a lack of understanding about how much more important the outcome is to bottom PL teams, or indeed teams in the promotion and relegation zones of other leagues. than whether Liverpool get to lift the title?

(Disclosure - I'm a Leeds fan but Brighton are my "local" team, so finishing the league "as is" would suit me - but I might not agree if I was a Villa or Forest fan)
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:26   #175
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:

Now its 8 teams not happy, i assume they're the bottom 8.
How many will it be when its always the bottom 15 or bottom 18?
Old 11-05-2020, 09:57   #176
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Why is there such a lack of understanding about how much more important the outcome is to bottom PL teams, or indeed teams in the promotion and relegation zones of other leagues. than whether Liverpool get to lift the title?

(Disclosure - I'm a Leeds fan but Brighton are my "local" team, so finishing the league "as is" would suit me - but I might not agree if I was a Villa or Forest fan)
The teams in European places ( and Championship promotion places ) have just as much to lose as the likes of Brighton once parachute payments are taken into account.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:59   #177
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Now its 8 teams not happy, i assume they're the bottom 8.

How many will it be when its always the bottom 15 or bottom 18?
If you are going on the Telegraph report, over the weekend, then it is "up to 8" not 8. And, apparently, one of those - Watford - is now happy to play at neutral venues
Old 11-05-2020, 10:05   #178
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
If you are going on the Telegraph report, over the weekend, then it is "up to 8" not 8. And, apparently, one of those - Watford - is now happy to play at neutral venues
You're still thinking its actually going to happen and clubs should be forced to make their players play?

You've also repeatably ignored my question about if you would go to work knowing you'd be coming home to a vulnerable person? You expect footballers to, so i assume you would as well?

Reading some articles there are at least 2 premier league players who are living with someone who is in remission and 1 who lives with an elderly relative. The PL is essentially threatening them to play, i think its proper classy.

Last edited by Jez; 11-05-2020 at 10:14.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35   #179
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
You're still thinking its actually going to happen and clubs should be forced to make their players play?
I have never said that at all. If players don't want to play nobody is forcing them to.

Quote:
You've also repeatably ignored my question about if you would go to work knowing you'd be coming home to a vulnerable person? You expect footballers to, so i assume you would as well?
What makes footballers so special ? AFAIK currently key workers (who earn a tiny fraction of what a footballer earns), who normally live with a vulnerable person, are meant to be working but isolating themselves from the vulnerable person. Not quite sure why you think some of the most protected, and highest paid, people in the country should be exempt from this rule.

If I was told it was safe and had no ulterior motive for not believing it, why wouldn't I?

You did hear BoJo yesterday, right ? Unless you can't SD at work, work from home or get to work without public transport then you are expected/encouraged to return to work.

Quote:
Reading some articles there are at least 2 premier league players who are living with someone who is in remission and 1 who lives with an elderly relative. The PL is essentially threatening them to play, i think its proper classy.
So, you've found 3 people, out of a work force of well in excess of 600, and believe that is enough to force the other 597+ to stop work rather than think the THREE should work out how to live with it ?
Old 11-05-2020, 10:43   #180
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
I have never said that at all. If players don't want to play nobody is forcing them to.

What makes footballers so special ? AFAIK currently key workers (who earn a tiny fraction of what a footballer earns), who normally live with a vulnerable person, are meant to be working but isolating themselves from the vulnerable person. Not quite sure why you think some of the most protected, and highest paid, people in the country should be exempt from this rule.

If I was told it was safe and had no ulterior motive for not believing it, why wouldn't I?

You did hear BoJo yesterday, right ? Unless you can't SD at work, work from home or get to work without public transport then you are expected/encouraged to return to work.
Doesn't include hairdressers as they cannot socially distance, neither can footballers.

So playing football currently is safe, is that what you're saying?
Also key workers are on par with footballers yes, they provide a similar service?

I cannot help wondering that if Liverpool were mid table, you wouldn't give a monkeys. Or if more than a few Liverpool players said they were not comfortable again you wouldn't want it started.