Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 04-05-2020, 08:49   #101
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
You only have to think for a few minutes to realise the "neutral venues is unfair" argument works both ways ( as if Brighton's 28% winning home record was going to make a difference when Liverpool, Arsenal and United would have turned up ); Brighton lose advantage in their remaining games but gain advantage by having already played their relegation rivals at home when their rivals haven't. And if their argument is against neutral venues in general then they may as well get relegated as the current plan may involve playing the whole 20/21 season at neutral venues.
I think you are letting this wind you up far too much! Liverpool are going to get that title eventually even if the season is cancelled.

Everyone knows that the clubs in danger of relegation are going to argue against starting and getting relegated, the financial implications and difficulty of getting promoted again are huge, especially if there are no crowds until next year. There are no easy and straightforward answers to this. As Jez has said social distancing will be impossible (can’t imagine when Rugby is likely to start?) and wearing masks while playing won’t be ideal.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:02   #102
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

It is not winding me up at all. All perfectly calm here
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:42   #103
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
I'm not convinced Liverpool will get the title in a scenario where the league doesn't play out or they decide no relegation. How can you have a champion but nobody get relegated? What would the point of Forest continuing their season if they cannot get promoted?

Also if you're not going to have any relegation, what is the point of restarting at all? It'll just turn into a bunch of meaningless friendlies.

Where has this neutral venue thing come from anyway? some gobby Liverpool Mayor?

As for whether this is essential work, bottom line is that the UK will be going back to work soon anyway, they've already said as much. Everyone will be at work with whatever nod to social distancing that can be accommodated.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45   #104
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Everyone will be at work with whatever nod to social distancing that can be accommodated.
How do you social distance playing football?

As i've said they need to play 400 games to finish this season, just imagine if one player in one of those games is found to have covid after playing?

It would instantly be shut down again.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:38   #105
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post

Where has this neutral venue thing come from anyway? some gobby Liverpool Mayor?
It’s part of the FA’s official plan called project restart.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:48   #106
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
It’s part of the FA’s official plan called project restart.
It wasn't until the police got involved. The original plan was BCD.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:52   #107
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,651 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post

As i've said they need to play 400 games to finish this season, just imagine if one player in one of those games is found to have covid after playing?

It wouldn't get shut down. That player would be isolated, and everyone would be tested again. He'd be treated like an injured player. Unavailable for two weeks.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:52   #108
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:

The plan involves all players being isolated and regularly tested ( and far more regularly than any normal person going back to work is going to be ). Any player testing positive will be quarantined and not allowed to play.

Your straw man arguments are just nonsense unless you are also applying them to every one else. You, or I, are far far far more likely to get Covid-19 as a result of returning to work compared to the footballers.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 04-05-2020 at 12:49.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:29   #109
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
The plan involves all players being isolated and regularly tested ( and far more regularly than any normal person going back to work is going to be ). Any playing testing positive will be quarantined and not allowed to play.

Your straw man arguments are just nonsense unless you are also applying them to every one else. You, or I, are far far far more likely to get Covid-19 as a result of returning to work compared to the footballers.
That all makes sense, its still not going to happen though for lots of reasons I've just stated, you can add public outcry in to that as well. Why do overpaid footballers get to not socially distance because they're tested every 5 days, why can i not be tested every 5 days etc etc etc.

End of summer is my guess when they might consider doing it. As its going to happen Adam, when do you think it will do?

Last edited by Jez; 04-05-2020 at 12:38.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:51   #110
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Quote:

You seem to have misinterpreted the rules, it's fairly easy to do with all the ******** getting spewed.

The guidance is actually along the lines of "socially distance, but if you can't just do your best." It's what is keeping the country going.

Within a couple of weeks you'll all be told to get back to work, they'll throw a few suggestions in to help but there won't be anything concrete. Maybe stagger shifts, let people still work from home if they can, etc.

But there are plenty of jobs where it won't be possible as there always have been.

Giving someone a test three days before a game and keeping them isolated outside of games (potentially), keeping testing and isolating people who test positive and then isolate those who played against them that week as a precaution (give them all another test to clear them) seems a perfectly reasonable way to tackle this. Far more robust than what the rest of us will be getting. On top of this you can limit the squad, first team only and skeleton staff, etc.

It'd be a bit odd that everyone will be back at work but not football.

Football is just planning ahead for what would seem to be inevitable.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:57   #111
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
That all makes sense, its still not going to happen though for lots of reasons I've just stated, you can add public outcry in to that as well. Why do overpaid footballers get to not socially distance because they're tested every 5 days, why can i not be tested every 5 days etc etc etc.
All the testing will be done privately and won't cost the Govt a penny. If Joe Bloggs wants to be tested every 5 days, after they return to work, then they take it up with their employer.

Quote:
End of summer is my guess when they might consider doing it. As its going to happen Adam, when do you think it will do?
Personally, I think a lot of it will come down to what the Govt say on Thursday. For Project Restart to have got this far, IMHO the PL must be fairly confident ( or even been told already ) Govt will give them the green light. Is so, then I would say we are looking at games starting early/mid June. I read one article over the weekend claiming they plan to be finished by the 2nd weekend in August
Old 04-05-2020, 13:10   #112
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Personally, I think a lot of it will come down to what the Govt say on Thursday. For Project Restart to have got this far, IMHO the PL must be fairly confident ( or even been told already ) Govt will give them the green light. Is so, then I would say we are looking at games starting early/mid June. I read one article over the weekend claiming they plan to be finished by the 2nd weekend in August
Righteo, I'll come back end of June and it still wont have started.
Old 04-05-2020, 16:39   #113
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

1700 tests carried out across the top 2 Bundesliga divisions ( covering all players and coaching staff ). 10 positive results
Old 04-05-2020, 17:22   #114
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,172 Posts
If we don’t finish this season then we will never hear the end of it. Just get it done
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:25   #115
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,651 Times in 553 Posts
Broadcasters have told the PL that if they take away relegation then they would be in breach of their contract.

Good. It was a nonsense idea in the first place.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:34   #116
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I saw an interesting Tweet earlier saying ...

If you didn't have relegation you couldn't just promote Leeds/WBA as that wouldn't be fair on 3rd - 6th. But you couldn't promote 3 teams as that would make the leagues uneven so you'd have to promote 4 teams. This would create a 24 team Premier League which you'd want to get back to 20 ASAP so ... how about relegating SEVEN teams in 20/21 ? How many of the current bottom 6 do you think would give themselves a chance of staying up this year rather than risk next year under those conditions ?
Old 04-05-2020, 17:44   #117
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Broadcasters have told the PL that if they take away relegation then they would be in breach of their contract.

Good. It was a nonsense idea in the first place.
Can't see a way round than just playing the games or maybe a series of penalty shootouts or something, then they could distance if they each had their own ball and the keepers changed gloves a lot.

What'd the point be in most of the games if there was no relegation?
Old 05-05-2020, 00:59   #118
rawowl
Honalulu Wednesday !!!!!

I’d be amazed if we saw any competitive football before October. They may get close but one or two positive tests that come out will put a stop to this season being finished. For the crucial tv money for next season they need to make sure they get a full season in next year and imagine all efforts will be put into that.

Hope I’m wrong and they can get it finished.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:17   #119
jpig
Trusted User

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

Quote:
Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has suggested halves of less than 45 minutes could be considered when football resumes.

Discussions about the Premier League's return are ongoing but Taylor says players are "concerned" about safety.

"They are not stupid," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "They would have to be satisfied that it is safe."

The Premier League said the idea is "not on the table".
One of the more ridiculous suggestions. They're clutching at straws here, and it looks crass.

In other news, we've just won the Euro2020 of Covid19, beating those pesky Italians, French and Spanish. Yay Engerland!
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:28   #120
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

One of the more ridiculous suggestions. They're clutching at straws here, and it looks crass.

In other news, we've just won the Euro2020 of Covid19, beating those pesky Italians, French and Spanish. Yay Engerland!
Almost as crazy as "let's just have penalty shootouts".

Gordon Taylor is lucky there is no credible alternative wanting to throw their hat in the ring to replace him.