Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 30-04-2020, 19:53   #81
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,172 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the whole edifice imploded and we had to start again from scratch. Return football to its roots.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 20:17   #82
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Would you be that adamant of playing games if they said Liverpool have the league even with the season abandoned like in France?

If yes can you please explain how they’re going to safely play 400 league games? Or are you one of ‘those’ fans that doesn’t actually see past the PL? Unfortunately all the countries leagues have a say in this. Also again could football survive a player who has played in one of these games catching and getting seriously ill or a member of their family getting seriously ill?
Why wouldn't I be ?

For the foreseeable future ALL football is going to be played behind closed doors. And why are BCD games less safe than normal ones?

From a PL perspective, all players will be tested. If they don't test negative they don't play so there would be no one on the pitch who has the virus so nobody can catch it. And, again from a PL perspective, how is an isolated player ( which again, from what I have read, is part of the plan ) supposed to spread it to their family ?

Let me ask you ... what is the problem with the first 400 games, when football resumes, being the final 400 games of the 19/20 season ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 20:34   #83
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Why wouldn't I be ?

For the foreseeable future ALL football is going to be played behind closed doors. And why are BCD games less safe than normal ones?

From a PL perspective, all players will be tested. If they don't test negative they don't play so there would be no one on the pitch who has the virus so nobody can catch it. And, again from a PL perspective, how is an isolated player ( which again, from what I have read, is part of the plan ) supposed to spread it to their family ?

Let me ask you ... what is the problem with the first 400 games, when football resumes, being the final 400 games of the 19/20 season ?
You know the players really want to play? Reina had it and said it’s the most ill he’s ever been, so did one of Villa’s physios who almost died it scared a lot of the team.

So when the other leagues cannot match the safety of the PL then they should just be ignored, so you are one of ‘those’ fans then?

It’s not happening, or if it will then it won’t last long enough to finish the season.
Old 30-04-2020, 21:32   #84
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
The players do really want to play. They've pretty much refused to take any sort of wage reduction or at best a token amount, they're not being furloughed on £2500 a month are they? They play or they don't get paid. So really they don't have a leg to stand on.

The bottom line though is that there is £750m and that is what the SKY and BT have paid I think, there is also every other deal around the world.

Somewhere there is a huge sum that needs to be worked out, are the government about to step in? Are you all going to chip in yourselves and pay for seats at matches that aren't going to take place? Maybe send SKY a big cheque to cover their loss?

We've built a Premier League into the greatest league in the world off the backs of huge sums of money. Now it's going to come back and haunt them.

Chances are we'll be watching unfit players in masks running around a football pitch at the park whilst Alan Shearer provides analysis from his kitchen.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 21:49   #85
basegreen
neergesab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the whole edifice imploded and we had to start again from scratch. Return football to its roots.
I concur.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:21   #86
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
I haven't missed it half as much as I thought I would. It just seems pretty trivial compared to everything else going on in the world at the moment.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:38   #87
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

My bank account certainly hasn't missed the expenditure

LOL at the Twitter response to Aguero's latest comment ... "Any footballer too afraid to play or refusing to play if the Premier League comes back should be immediately furloughed. Lets see how afraid they are then when they only bring in £2.5k a month."

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 01-05-2020 at 10:56.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:09   #88
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Reading several articles since the PL meeting, it seems Arsenal and Villa are keen to restart. This would suggest if they don't restart the PL will adopt a PPG scenario as that would send Villa down and leave Arsenal out of Europe.

There is also quite a good article from Steve Parrish ( in charge at Palace ) who speaks a lot more sense than their ex-chief Simon Jordan.

The PL need to state the alternative(s) to all clubs. If the PL were to come out and say "the bottom three are getting relegated regardless" then you would instantly see all these so called safety fears disappear with all 20 clubs eager to resume.

Saw quite a valid point yesterday as well along the lines of ... if you don't finish the season or you cancel with no Champion and no relegation then you are basically punishing Liverpool and rewarding Norwich. Completely farcical but many reckon it would maintain the sport's integrity

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 15:40   #89
Jez
Ellis Retire!

How do you socially distance at a corner?
Old 03-05-2020, 15:52   #90
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
The PL need to state the alternative(s) to all clubs. If the PL were to come out and say "the bottom three are getting relegated regardless" then you would instantly see all these so called safety fears disappear with all 20 clubs eager to resume.
Really? I think 17 of the 20 teams would be fine with that.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 15:53   #91
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
How do you socially distance at a corner?
Which part of 'no one on the pitch will have corona virus' are you not understanding ?

Old 03-05-2020, 15:55   #92
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
Really? I think 17 of the 20 teams would be fine with that.
True. But by the same token everyone from 5th down to 10th would also want to carry on

Old 03-05-2020, 17:25   #93
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
Depends about the prize money and so forth I'd have thought. I suppose for the most part where you are now isn't going to make much difference. If three are relegated, who are getting promoted to replace them?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 19:56   #94
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Which part of 'no one on the pitch will have corona virus' are you not understanding ?

So football takes priority over normal people’s jobs. Everyone has to socially distance whether they have it or not, why should football be any different.

It’s not going to happen.
Old 03-05-2020, 21:55   #95
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
So football takes priority over normal people’s jobs. Everyone has to socially distance whether they have it or not, why should football be any different.
FFS now you're just being obtuse. Or maybe you're deliberately not reading well publicised plans for Project Restart. Football doesn't take priority over normal people's jobs and nor does normal people's job take priority over football and nobody has ever said anything different.

Maybe you think all normal people will only return to work when there is a vaccine or when they can all socially distance themselves at work. You keep thinking that if you keeps you happy. But that is the thing that is "not going to happen".

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 03-05-2020 at 21:57.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:06   #96
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
FFS now you're just being obtuse. Or maybe you're deliberately not reading well publicised plans for Project Restart. Football doesn't take priority over normal people's jobs and nor does normal people's job take priority over football and nobody has ever said anything different.

Maybe you think all normal people will only return to work when there is a vaccine or when they can all socially distance themselves at work. You keep thinking that if you keeps you happy. But that is the thing that is "not going to happen".
Err yeah that’s will be what happened next, you can work if socially distant. Why do you think offices are being reorganised, travel times staggered?
Pubs, cinemas, restaurants etc won’t be opening because they cannot socially distance you can add football in to that as well.

Just saying over and over will if they don’t they won’t exist doesn’t mean it will happen.

If you honestly think football will start again soon, even in the next few months you’re in for a disappointment.

Last edited by Jez; 04-05-2020 at 06:07.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59   #97
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

And yet schools will be one of the first ones back with practically no way of socially distancing pupils without building dozens of new class rooms ( at each school ) in about a month.

LOL good luck with that plan

And where have got the idea of "offices being reorganised" and "staggered travel times" from ?

Old 04-05-2020, 07:53   #98
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:

And where have got the idea of "offices being reorganised" and "staggered travel times" from ?
That’s been all over the news for the past few days. Apparently it’s the government’s plan for getting people back to work. It’s the lead story on the BBC today.

Clubs at the bottom of the prem aren’t so happy about restarting the league and using neutral venues.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:04   #99
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
That’s been all over the news for the past few days. Apparently it’s the government’s plan for getting people back to work. It’s the lead story on the BBC today.
Will check that out shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
Clubs at the bottom of the prem aren’t so happy about restarting the league and using neutral venues.
These will be the same clubs who insisted it was totally unsafe to restart for the players, on Friday, but now believe it is perfectly safe if there is no relegation ?? They are just thinking of any excuse they can to avoid being relegated.

You only have to think for a few minutes to realise the "neutral venues is unfair" argument works both ways ( as if Brighton's 28% winning home record was going to make a difference when Liverpool, Arsenal and United would have turned up ); Brighton lose advantage in their remaining games but gain advantage by having already played their relegation rivals at home when their rivals haven't. And if their argument is against neutral venues in general then they may as well get relegated as the current plan may involve playing the whole 20/21 season at neutral venues.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 04-05-2020 at 08:17.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:25   #100
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
And yet schools will be one of the first ones back with practically no way of socially distancing pupils without building dozens of new class rooms ( at each school ) in about a month.

LOL good luck with that plan

LOL yeah its a government idea, along with smaller classrooms rotating morning and afternoons to enable some type of social distancing.

How are football planning on social distancing from a corner, for 400 games?

Good luck with that.