Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 27-04-2020, 10:39   #21
Jez
Ellis Retire!

If they play it currently it'll be just because of the money, its as simple as that.

Never know, Liverpool might not be as good without the mighty KOP.
Old 27-04-2020, 11:05   #22
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
Aye, the richest league in the world built on telly money, literally cannot afford not to play.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 11:39   #23
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I assume you're being sarcastic.

They'll need a pre-season, unless they've all had coaches round giving them organised drills in their garden. They've had longer off than they would in the summer, but just because they've gone on a treadmill a few times they suddenly dont need a pre-season.
Not being sarcastic at all - certainly if the videos LFC have been posting are anything to go by. Any club worth its salt would have given every player their own training regime and will be monitored individually.

Besides, nobody is saying it's going to be "stay at home till the morning of the first game and we'll just hope you're alright". The Italian solution has matches not starting for at least 2 weeks after they return to training. The latest Premier League proposal has games starting again in mid-June ( over 6 weeks away ).

Last season, both Spurs and Liverpool had a month off before the Champions League final. Much was said about it at the time in terms of how this would affect the players. In the end it didn't really affect them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat View Post
Holland just cancelled their league with Belgium about to follow suit. Who knows what will happen in the premier league. You'd have though each league would have to adopt the same approach to allow 'normality' to return. I doubt having each league at different stages would work for European competition
Pedantically, Belgium cancelled first . But they both cancelled in line with UEFA's guidelines. The only reason Holland didn't appoint a champion is because the top 2 were equal on points and GD so even a PPG rule wouldn't have split them. There was also a 3rd Dutch side who could have won the title had the games been played. The last I heard, several clubs were seeking to take legal action against the Dutch FA if only for the reason that clubs were asked to vote on a choice of solution which they did, only for the FA to go with what they majority did NOT vote for !!!

FAs have until July 31st to complete their domestic seasons - quite why some are clamouring for a decision 3 months early is anyone's guess.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 14:13   #24
Bravoman
Trusted User

I wonder what they will do with all the players whose contracts expire in June if the season is extended until August? I would assume there would be some negotiations to extend the contract on a temporary basis but some may already have agreed to sign for other clubs, who might not be willing to let their new signing carry on playing for another club?
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 16:10   #25
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
I wonder what they will do with all the players whose contracts expire in June if the season is extended until August? I would assume there would be some negotiations to extend the contract on a temporary basis but some may already have agreed to sign for other clubs, who might not be willing to let their new signing carry on playing for another club?
The last I read about said that contracts that everyone think end in June actually technically end in July so maybe it won't be a problem.

Also, unless one team is adversely affected by it compared to everyone else then it really isn't a problem. The league isn't built round "every team is able to play their first team every game"

Not sure how New Balance would take to Liverpool winning the title in a Nike kit though

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 27-04-2020 at 16:37.
Old 28-04-2020, 15:34   #26
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
The last I read about said that contracts that everyone think end in June actually technically end in July so maybe it won't be a problem.

Also, unless one team is adversely affected by it compared to everyone else then it really isn't a problem. The league isn't built round "every team is able to play their first team every game"

Not sure how New Balance would take to Liverpool winning the title in a Nike kit though
It’s an interesting point though. I know Chelsea have a few out of contract in June/July Willian, Pedro and Giroud all of whom could be crucial to the final few games. Spurs will have Kane and Son Heung-min back....if he returns from national service in time which will a big effect on final results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52460468

Looks like France have decided to stop their top 2 leagues indefinitely as all sport banned until September.

Last edited by Bravoman; 28-04-2020 at 15:53.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 16:02   #27
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

French Ligue Un now not looking to complete their seasons. However they are intending to award the winners and relegation places from a choice to 3 options, and not void the season:

https://twitter.com/ActuFoot_/status...40317965070344

1. Points per match so far, expanded to full season
2. Points as they stand at last completed game day (round 27)
3. Points at the mid-point of the season
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 16:26   #28
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
So I guess the minor differences between 1 and 2 are because some teams have played more games or something? Option 3 seems daft and will just now have the N team being a bit complainy and demanding that option I'd guess.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 17:18   #29
uk_mez
Groover

Options 1 and 2 don't take account of relative schedule difficulties though, whereas option 3 does ensure (assuming the season is split evenly like PL) that everyone has played everyone else once. (Not that I'm advocating this one!)
uk_mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 17:20   #30
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Last season, both Spurs and Liverpool had a month off before the Champions League final. Much was said about it at the time in terms of how this would affect the players. In the end it didn't really affect them all
That's true i suppose, i mean I'm sure the only training they were doing was on their treadmills at home and playing Fifa.

It ludicrous to try and finish the season and is down purely to money, no home teams will have any advantage. Other countries have seen sense, but not the PL i bet they cannot understand with all their money how its just not sorted overnight.
Old 28-04-2020, 17:27   #31
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
That's true i suppose, i mean I'm sure the only training they were doing was on their treadmills at home and playing Fifa.

It ludicrous to try and finish the season and is down purely to money, no home teams will have any advantage. Other countries have seen sense, but not the PL i bet they cannot understand with all their money how its just not sorted overnight.
It is ludicrous to not finish the current season before starting the next one. And even crazier - most people who want to cancel reckon it will mean next season can start on time with fans as if cancelling the current season will make Covid-19 go away.

Old 28-04-2020, 17:49   #32
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
It is ludicrous to not finish the current season before starting the next one. And even crazier - most people who want to cancel reckon it will mean next season can start on time with fans as if cancelling the current season will make Covid-19 go away.

Football shouldn't be played until there is a vaccine, effective treatment or fast test, its as simple as that.

The Spanish are so desperate they have ludicrous ideas that you're not allowed to hold people from set pieces etc.

It only takes one person to be infected and not showing symptoms yet to effect both teams and beyond.

I cannot help but think its Liverpool's fans the most that seem to think its perfectly fine to finish the season.
Old 28-04-2020, 18:06   #33
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Football shouldn't be played until there is a vaccine, effective treatment or fast test, its as simple as that.
LOL. That is at least 12-18 months away. If that is your criteria football will cease to exist in this country. 95+% of the teams in this country will simply cease to exist with no income for that long.

Quote:
It only takes one person to be infected and not showing symptoms yet to effect both teams and beyond.
An argument that surely exists for EVERY business in the country ? Or are you suggesting football ( and all the billions it brings to the economy ) is somehow less important than the bloke who runs the local corner shop ?

You seem to be suggesting that nobody should be allowed to go to work, or even outside(?), until this at present mythical vaccine arrives.

Quote:

I cannot help but think its Liverpool's fans the most that seem to think its perfectly fine to finish the season.
Well, them ... and UEFA, the FA, the Premier League ( and the majority of its member teams ), the German FA, the Spanish FA and the Government. Maybe they are all Liverpool fans ?

It doesn't take much thinking to realise the only people who don't want it to finish are anti-Liverpool fans and clubs which have a vested interest in it not finishing as it potentially saves them being relegated.

Honestly, it seems like you think everyone in favour of carrying on wants games to start next weekend. Every League, so far, is proposing that teams don't start playing in anger for at least 6 weeks.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 28-04-2020 at 18:09.
Old 28-04-2020, 18:11   #34
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
LOL. That is at least 12-18 months away. If that is your criteria football will cease to exist in this country. 95+% of the teams in this country will simply cease to exist with no income for that long.

An argument that surely exists for EVERY business in the country ? Or are you suggesting football ( and all the billions it brings to the economy ) is somehow less important than the bloke who runs the local corner shop ?

You seem to be suggesting that nobody should be allowed to go to work, or even outside(?), until this at present mythical vaccine arrives.

Well, them ... and UEFA, the FA, the Premier League ( and the majority of its member teams ), the German FA, the Spanish FA and the Government. Maybe they are all Liverpool fans ?

It doesn't take much thinking to realise the only people who don't want it to finish are anti-Liverpool fans and clubs which have a vested interest in it not finishing as it potentially saves them being relegated.
I manage to do my job fine at home and to argue most jobs have a similar level of contact than football does is laughable.

Its about money, thanks for confirming that money and Liverpool winning the league are more important than a lot of peoples lives.

You do realise that you wont be watching Liverpool in a stadium for at least 12/18 months dont you?
Old 28-04-2020, 18:17   #35
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,651 Times in 553 Posts
As opposed to a multitude of Villa fans desperately wanting the season to be voided so they don't get relegated?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 18:18   #36
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
I manage to do my job fine at home and to argue most jobs have a similar level of contact than football does is laughable.

Its about money, thanks for confirming that money and Liverpool winning the league are more important than a lot of peoples lives.

You do realise that you wont be watching Liverpool in a stadium for at least 12/18 months dont you?
LOL. By that logic most people won't be going back to work anytime soon. After all they are all doing it for the money as well unless of course their money IS legitimately more important than "a lot of people's lives". That straw-man argument is simply rediculous.

As the La Ligue President said earlier after the announcement in France: "I do not understand why there would more danger in playing football behind closed doors, with all precautionary measures, than working on an assembly line, being on a fishing boat on the high seas, etc."

of course I realise that. As does everyone else who is in favour of carrying on. If it comes down to 12 months of BCD football and no football ever again WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE PROPOSING then everyone will pick BCD every time.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 28-04-2020 at 18:22.
Old 28-04-2020, 18:20   #37
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
As opposed to a multitude of Villa fans desperately wanting the season to be voided so they don't get relegated?
Exactly. The only teams wanting to void the season are the ones struggling to avoid relegation who are also, not surprisingly, also driven solely by the financial implications.
Old 28-04-2020, 18:47   #38
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Exactly. The only teams wanting to void the season are the ones struggling to avoid relegation who are also, not surprisingly, also driven solely by the financial implications.
Most normal people think voiding the season would be utterly ridiculous. I;m a West Ham fan but scraping this season is just ludicrous.

Finish this one, no matter how long it takes and then worry about future seasons when that is done.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 19:05   #39
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Don't forget this affects teams in all 4 divisions, it's not just about the PL!
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 19:19   #40
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
Most normal people think voiding the season would be utterly ridiculous. I;m a West Ham fan but scraping this season is just ludicrous.

Finish this one, no matter how long it takes and then worry about future seasons when that is done.
Exactly.

Once you have taken the position that football is going to return at some point - then there is not a single reason why you wouldn't finish the current season before starting the next one.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 28-04-2020 at 20:47.