Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 11-05-2020, 11:18   #181
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
So playing football currently is safe, is that what you're saying?
Playing football with 21 other people ( the vast majority of whom I won't actually come into contact with ) who I know don't have Covid-19, and they all know that I don't have it either, is a hell of a lot safer than anything everyone else is expected to get on with. Yes.

EDIT: Oh look ... the supporting document to yesterday's speech says football, BCD, can return from 1st June.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 11-05-2020 at 13:29.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 22:08   #182
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Quote:
I cannot help wondering that if Liverpool were mid table, you wouldn't give a monkeys...
...agree with that . Seems like we might be starting the 20/20 PL* in a few weeks, seems like you may yet win the asterisk season!

* season so delayed and altered by CV-19 that it is ultimately worthless.
Old 11-05-2020, 23:11   #183
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...agree with that .
I'm pretty sympathetic to Liverpool fans, to be honest. They've waited ages for this and they've clearly been the best team this year. It's not really "fair" if they don't end up Champions. If it had happened to United in 1992 I'd feel robbed too.

At the same time as that, we're clearly not playing the same competition and it's the bottom six that cause far more problems than the top 2. Whatever happens, this season is going to end up with somebody moaning, or somebody taking the PL to court.

The * is the best solution. No relegation. A new season starts when it can be played consistently and to the same rules. Continuing this season to honour the "sport" while at the same time changing the rules and conditions seems to do the exact opposite of what they are intending to do.

And it stinks of money over everything else.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 23:28   #184
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
The * is the best solution. No relegation. A new season starts when it can be played consistently and to the same rules.
By all accounts you are going to be disappointed.

All respected journos are reporting that this morning's meeting effectively started with the FA [ who in this scenario have veto over everyone else ] telling all 20 clubs (and I am paraphrasing here) "null and void is not an option and we don't care how you do it but, regardless of what happens, 3 of you are getting relegated".
Old 11-05-2020, 23:59   #185
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Disappointed is the wrong word. I don't really care any more. I think lockdown has given football a real problem: it's stopped mattering for most people.

Football will do what it needs to do. But it can't really pretend that it's the same contest and teams at the bottom will have every right to contest that. In court, if they have to.

Most people outside of Liverpool fans (rightly) and the six at the bottom (most of whom don't really care, I suspect) are more concerned with real life at the moment. And if football doesn't reflect that, and continues to ask for £££ for tickets and £££ for Sky / BT / Amazon, then I think it deserves everything that is coming to it.

The contest is over. Your team won*. Let's put it to bed and think about how we move on.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:00   #186
malcy

I do think this may bring about eventually the long talked about European Super League.

It is many years since I gave up my ridiculously expensive Sky subscription and if we do end up with a deep depression and long term high unemployment I can’t see the level of subscription money Sky and BT get being maintained.

Outside their own fans there are probably only 6 to 10 clubs that the wider public want to watch. So you can see them jumping ship along with the top European clubs whilst money for those left behind plummets. You see that today in the gulf in TV money between PL and Championship.

We also have way to many professional clubs in the UK, many more than other countries and can see even in the football league clubs going semi pro or even amateur. Would be good to actually reduce the number of clubs. With clubs being local teams for their local community and playing locally.

You need to get rid of this idea that all clubs aspire to move up the pyramid to the pile of gold at the top and make vast loses trying to get there. In some respect the US sports model of franchises so you maximum the teams on TV in the big towns and cities, so no minnows with rich sugar daddy owners and a rigorously enforces salary cap so the teams actually make money.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:37   #187
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:

All respected journos are reporting that this morning's meeting effectively started with the FA [ who in this scenario have veto over everyone else ] telling all 20 clubs (and I am paraphrasing here) "null and void is not an option and we don't care how you do it but, regardless of what happens, 3 of you are getting relegated".
It now seems like all bottom 20 clubs don’t want neutral grounds

Those pesky rebels.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:58   #188
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I have never really fully understood the neutral venues plan - but can understand why the government/police suggested it. Though the comparison with the Bundesliga was irrelevant when you compare Bundesliga venues to PL ones.

But it is blindingly obvious certain teams were using it as an excuse to try and save their bacon; and it seems new 'rebels' were only complaining due to loss of sponsorship money. And if the FA hadn't issued their ultimatum, yesterday, once the neutral venues had been sorted the likes of Brighton, West Ham and Villa would have just found another excuse to delay
Old 12-05-2020, 07:27   #189
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:

I cannot help wondering that if Villa were mid table, you wouldn't give a monkeys.
Fixed that for you

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2020, 07:32   #190
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I don't understand the neutral venues idea. 90 of matches need to be staged, similar number of staff for each one, what difference of they're at the correct grounds for neutral? A similar number of staff will be involved and no fans will be going to either so just let each match continue at the correct venues.

I also don't really see much of an advantage of playing home in an empty stadium either though. It's the atmosphere and energy that a home crowd can add that gives the home advantage, I can't really see how familiarity of the facilities and slightly different sized pitch gives much advantage or disadvantage

Old 12-05-2020, 07:55   #191
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Some of the pros/cons of neutral venues balance themselves out e.g lack of fans at home is countered by not having to quiet down the 'home' fans when playing away. I can also see the argument about pitch familiarity ( knowing where it might slope away, knowing your position based on sight lines in the stand, being able to resize the pitch and/or change the grass length, etc ).

But the 'rebels' weren't really using those points but, rather, claiming they would disadvantaged because they would lose out due to their home playing record as if it was something that would keep them up.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 12-05-2020 at 08:03.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:09   #192
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I thought the point of neutral grounds was to lessen gatherings of fans outside?

In the end though, what difference does it make to Liverpool whether or not they win the title, compared to promotion or relegations in the rest of the leagues?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:24   #193
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Fixed that for you

Eh? I don't give a monkeys about Villa getting relegated or not, in fact I'd rather not be in the PL if they threaten their own members. I'd still have the same opinion if they were top, middle or bottom.

So relegate away for all i care, the longer this goes on the longer the PL will falter and the ridiculous money involved might level off a bit.

Quote:
But the 'rebels' weren't really using those points but, rather, claiming they would disadvantaged because they would lose out due to their home playing record as if it was something that would keep them up.
And you know that how? Especially as Chelsea, Spurs and i think it was Arsenal were also not happy.

Last edited by Jez; 12-05-2020 at 08:25.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:31   #194
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Disappointed is the wrong word. I don't really care any more. I think lockdown has given football a real problem: it's stopped mattering for most people.

Football will do what it needs to do. But it can't really pretend that it's the same contest and teams at the bottom will have every right to contest that. In court, if they have to.

Most people outside of Liverpool fans (rightly) and the six at the bottom (most of whom don't really care, I suspect) are more concerned with real life at the moment. And if football doesn't reflect that, and continues to ask for £££ for tickets and £££ for Sky / BT / Amazon, then I think it deserves everything that is coming to it.

The contest is over. Your team won*. Let's put it to bed and think about how we move on.
Agree wholeheartedly with this.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38   #195
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
I thought the point of neutral grounds was to lessen gatherings of fans outside?
It was which is why it was really strange when some of the neutral venues they picked were right next door to loads of housing.

Quote:
Eh? I don't give a monkeys about Villa getting relegated or not, in fact I'd rather not be in the PL if they threaten their own members. I'd still have the same opinion if they were top, middle or bottom.

So relegate away for all i care, the longer this goes on the longer the PL will falter and the ridiculous money involved might level off a bit.

And you know that how? Especially as Chelsea, Spurs and i think it was Arsenal were also not happy.
So ... what Villa, Brighton and West Ham wasn't then trying to threaten everyone else ? According to some reports, Villa even came out yesterday with "if Grealish gets Covid 19 we want the right to postpone a game"

This idea that the Premier League is a lovely community working for the common good of all it's members is nice in theory until you realise the cold hard fact that without 2/3 of the teams in it the whole league would collapse and would struggle to match the SPL's TV revenue.

As for Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal ... Spurs will be in real financial trouble if the whole BCD thing goes on for much longer and with the prospect of no European football either they are really up **** creek and need every penny they can get

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 12-05-2020 at 08:40.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:13   #196
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
So ... what Villa, Brighton and West Ham wasn't then trying to threaten everyone else ? According to some reports, Villa even came out yesterday with "if Grealish gets Covid 19 we want the right to postpone a game"
I dont know, but rumours in football usually mean one thing. Nonsense, especially ones peddled in the media.
It could easily be Villa's goalkeeper isn't keen on playing because he almost died from Covid. But funny how the rumours are the ones involving high profile players and result in clicks on articles.

'According to some reports' means nothing, unless you can show me the minutes from the meeting it doesn't really mean anything.

According to some reports Liverpool want to have just the Kop stand full and everyone in it tested 2 days before and are willing to pay it, see its easy.

All clubs would have concerns and issues, just the ones that might actually effect it going on are leaked. If half your first team were tested and found to have it, you'd have something to say i'm sure, as would any club/fan?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:24   #197
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Bit difficult to make up a direct quote from Villa's CEO
Old 12-05-2020, 10:34   #198
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Bit difficult to make up a direct quote from Villa's CEO
Can you link to the direct quote please?
Old 12-05-2020, 11:10   #199
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Can you link to the direct quote please?
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/stat...33754915307520

He might have a point if Grealish had shown any respect for the lockdown Oh, and, what a way for a CEO to tell the rest of his players they're **** LOL
Old 12-05-2020, 11:31   #200
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/stat...33754915307520

He might have a point if Grealish had shown any respect for the lockdown Oh, and, what a way for a CEO to tell the rest of his players they're **** LOL
He’s daft suggesting that as it’s not going to happen, it’s no different to a normal injury. But all clubs will think it. Are you saying you wouldn’t start to get worried if you started poorly and Trent, VVD and Alison for example all came down with it.