Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 15-08-2005, 12:37   #1
Guest 9652
Timelord

The League Of Gentlemen Series

Ive never watched this intill 2 weeks ago after I got the R1 DVD set. I thought series 1 and 2 were really good and really funny. Ive also got the Live From Drury Lane SE DVD and watched that too and that is really funny aswell. But I'm currently on Series 3 and I havent laughed once and I'm on episode 5. It's completely different from the other series. the theme music has changed. Pauline looks differant and not the same as in the first 2 series, Edward and Tubbs have only been in it twice in the first episode and the new charactors are just not funny. Added with no laughter, it's poor compared to the rest. My question is this, Why did they bother with series 3. it's just seemed to me they have just phoned series 3 it in and just couldnt be bothered. It could have been so good and I was looking forward to watching it but after 2 great series they have made a poor series.

What do everyone else think???

I havent seen the movie or Xmas special yet and now I'm dredding watching them!!!!

01keith
Guest 9652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 12:45   #2
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Series 3 came as abit of a shock for me, and I didn't enjoy it very much on first watch. However, after getting used to it the second watch was much more enjoyable so I'd say give it another go. The xmas special is amusing but again you need to watch it a couple of times to appreciate it as its not the same as the first two TV series.

The movie - ill-concieved idea, not in the slightest bit funny, most of it doesn't involve the majority of the characters we know and love/hate and the best thing to do is avoid. The movie makes series 3 look like a feast of comedy.
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 13:15   #3
Guest 31673
Trusted User

I was a big fan of the first two series, the Christmas special and the live DVD but also really struggled with this, I'd like to watch it again though to see if my opinion has changed.

I do remember almost wetting myself during the scene where a guy (can't remember his name) gets a job at a massage parlour ******* guys off with a womans voice playing in the background so they don't realise she is actually a he. Word spreads how good he is and he has to start doing two at a time to keep up with the demand!
Guest 31673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 13:25   #4
kat23
-------------------------

I didn't even manage to watch the whole of season 3, think I missed the last one or two as it just didn't work.

Watch the Christmas special though, that was the best LoG for me. Though it is actually less 'funny' then the 2 good series.
kat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 13:43   #5
Guest 16989
Trusted User

I thought Series 3 was the best one
Guest 16989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 13:45   #6
Guest 8645
Banned

I think series 3 is sheer brilliance. By design it is more of a 'dramedy' than the out and out comedy of the first 2 series. It mostly isn't funny because it isn't meant to be, although there are a fair few laugh out loud moments.

Also, the commentaries are solid gold, informative and very funny.
Guest 8645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 08:59   #7
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I only ever found the pilot episode really funny, seasons 1 and 2 did not make me laugh but I enjoyed for the grotesque, found the xmas special funny, and season 3 it finally came together for me and I found the series funny and more interesting with the tying into the van crash element. The Masseuse episode was superb, but really liked some of the other characters as well, what about KITT?
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 09:59   #8
Guest 9652
Timelord

I have finished series 3 and I have to say it's still rubbish. I watched the making of my Disc 2 and I think it was Reece that said that when he told his mum and bro about killing off Tubbs and Edward, it would be a mistake and it was. Also the end of the documentary showed them looking at and reading out the reviews and most them said it was ____!!!! and they were right. You could see they were stuggling to write the series in the making of. Glad they didnt do a series 4, god knows what they would have come up with.

I have got tickets to see the 2nd live show in Oxford. I just hope they keep to the series 1 and 2 characters.
Old 16-08-2005, 10:14   #9
Guest 8645
Banned

Actually, the Gents complained about that Documentary, seeing as a lot of the reviews for S3 were positive, in fact the majority were, and was not the disaster that the Doc led you to believe.

There's a reason for killing off Tubbs and Edward. It was to show that that part of LoG was over, and as the Gents have said, Another series of the same old stuff would've been lazy and predictable and to them, it wasn't as fun to write that stuff anymore.

I don't think they've struggled writing it at all. They admitted that they did struggle with the first epsiode, but only because it was different to anything they had written previously.
Guest 8645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 11:18   #10
Guest 9652
Timelord

I liked Series 2 the best cos Chubby Brown was in it as the Mayor.
Old 16-08-2005, 11:33   #11
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01keith
I liked Series 2 the best cos Chubby Brown was in it as the Mayor.
and for the few people that didn't know, chubby browns real name is Roysten Vasey
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 11:56   #12
Guest 9652
Timelord

all of knew that. That's why he's a guess star in it.
Old 16-08-2005, 13:50   #13
SqueakyG
Trusted User

I didn't like series 3 on first viewing, but it grew on me more. I still don't rate it as highly as the first two series, but I have respect for it.

They decided to go for a more drama/horror style without a laugh track, after the Christmas Special worked well like that. I think the Christmas special is great.
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 16:19   #14
Savagexii
Trusted User

Gotta agree with the majority here, i couldn't quite grasp the 3rd series on first viewing, but since buying the dvd and and re-watching it a few times it's deffinetley grown on me and i've found myself laughing at things/people that i just thought were rubbish on the first viewing. Stick with it i would say, give them a better chance before writing them off so soon
Savagexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 20:33   #15
mamboboy
Legend

Sorry to bump such an ancient thread, but I'm unsure whether or not to get the complete collection DVD...

I've only ever seen a couple of episodes, oh...and the movie. I'm a big fan of dark british humour (ala nighty night) but I don't think I'll be able to get over the laughter track and i've been holding off watching this for years because of it. There's nothing I hate more than being reminded when to laugh - totally takes me out of the moment so to speak!
So...I'm wondering if anybody watches this now and notices it much? Does it NEED a laughter track?

Last edited by mamboboy; 08-09-2009 at 20:34.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 21:22   #16
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

It's really not that bad to be honest. Just roll with it, I don't find it overly intrusive.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39   #17
ascender
Trusted User

I really enjoyed Series 3, it was an interesting idea they had and I thought it shook things up by changing the format. I think there's lots of nice touches and very dark humour in it even if its less "lol" than the first couple of series.

I thought the movie was a stinker though which is a shame.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 13:22   #18
Guest 51185
Queen of the cuppa

I love all the League of Gentlemen series' and the Xmas special but the film just wasn't right somehow. Don't think they should have bothered with it!
Guest 51185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 16:17   #19
Help
Trusted User

Taking the characters out of Royston was one of the main problems.
Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 16:58   #20
Guest 2517
PSN & XBL: ereiamjh

I didn't mind the laughter in series 1, but I always thought it was a bit out of place in series 2, when it got a bit darker, and at times the audience sounded a bit confused about whether they were meant to be laughing or not. That's one of the reasons I prefered series 3 over 2, because they wisely (IMHO) dropped the laugh track.

Although if there's one thing this thread seems to prove it's that there really doesn't seem to be any general consensus on this programme, and different things seem to work for different people, so you're just going to have to watch and decide for yourself. Trying to get a definite answer here would be as pointless as using these forums to try and find out which is the best Coen Brothers film.

It's Miller's Crossing BTW.
Guest 2517 is offline   Reply With Quote