Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 14-07-2020, 12:35   #421
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
As they have replicators I've alwasy just assumed they've got nanobots that can alter and create things at a cellular level, and that the same technology would be used in the holodeck to remove any waste.
Yes, but that's not funny.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 15:41   #422
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
But that's cleaning not waste disposal. Waste disposal implies to me they are going to the toilet there, perhaps living in the holodeck for a while. We've seen th eempty room, there's no waste disposal, be interesting to see how they cover that.

As they have replicators I've alwasy just assumed they've got nanobots that can alter and create things at a cellular level, and that the same technology would be used in the holodeck to remove any waste.
Why even think about it? After Discovery and especially Picard it's bloody obvious that the people in charge of this new era of "Star Trek" have never watched an episode of Star Trek or understand a single bloody thing about it! Picard was Star Wars in everything but name, heck it felt more Star Wars-y than the ******* Mandalorian!

Star Wars ships have waste disposal, there, solved it!

Last edited by Shingster; 14-07-2020 at 15:43.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 18:14   #423
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
But that's cleaning not waste disposal. Waste disposal implies to me they are going to the toilet there, perhaps living in the holodeck for a while. We've seen th eempty room, there's no waste disposal, be interesting to see how they cover that.

Holodecks use transporter technology matter created from energy, so when the system is shut off you would assume that any "man" matter remaining would be converted into energy.

Holodecks have a bit of a plot hole, there is an epsiode where wesley exits the holodeck soaking wet, the water should have dissapeared leaving him dry. Dr Pulaski eats a belly full of crumpets but what happens when you leave? Is the food the holodeck produces the same and real as replicator food? filling your stomach for it to suddenly be empty can't be good for you.

Last the holodeck is a set size. if two people enter a simulation of a large field. If both walk in the same direction they would reach the end of it. BUT if one person stays by the door how does the other person get the effect of walking to the other end of a large field if their mate is not moving and what does the other guy see while this is going on his mate would not disappear into the distance. The problem is multiplied when more people enter; all going in different directions. Far better would be a matrix style approach where you go to a room and plug in and your brain is tricked into thinking its real.

Anyway I never liked the holodeck or the replicators.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 18:32   #424
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Star Trek: Discovery - season 2 (January)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Holodecks use transporter technology matter created from energy, so when the system is shut off you would assume that any "man" matter remaining would be converted into energy.
I bloody hope not as I’d not want to be in there during a power cut, after all we to are “man matter”

Last edited by T4V; 14-07-2020 at 18:33.
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 18:39   #425
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
I bloody hope not as I’d not want to be in there during a power cut, after all we to are “man matter”
Safety protocols, if all power is lost then the system to remove any "man paste" would also be broken.

Then its down to the poor sod with a rag and a darklight
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 18:47   #426
dvds2000
Trusted User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxn8imp7yBA

October 15th for Season 3 (CBS)
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote