Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 10:49   #21
Woz
Viva indifference

Just finished it - utterly brilliant. Reminded me of Breaking Bad without the soap opera bits
The bad guys have a large vein of Justified through them too, which is very high praise.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 23:57   #22
Shingster
Trusted User

Really? I mean, I enjoyed this almost as much as everyoe else here, but it's basically Breaking Bad for Dummies - And by that I don't mean it's for thick people, just a Breaking Bad type show with all the subtlety and realism stripped away, relying on sensational plot points and contrived "threat" to drive it forward. It's basically a burger to Breaking Bad's steak, which is fine because sometimes you just want a good, quick burger over a heavy steak meal.

You can pick it apart all day, the nonsensical chain of coincidences that put the family in a tight spot financially, the wishy-washy nature of his money laundering scheme (two businesses allowing him to launder $5million+ in a month?), etc. It's very much a "don't sweat the small stuff" type of show that's full of soapy melodrama (FBI gay love triangles anyone?).

Last edited by Shingster; 04-09-2017 at 00:03.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:46   #23
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

It's pointless comparing it to Breaking Bad as that had 5 seasons to flesh out it's characters and story.

If you judge BB season 1 against Ozark then Ozark is the winner. BB really didn't come into it's own until season 3.

I've seen a lot of people say it's BB without the reality. Really? The Mexican twins were like something out of a cheesy 80s action flick. I think people need to rewatch BB as it more than stretched the realms of credibility numerous times.

One thing where Ozark is the clear winner is breaking the tropes

Remember at this point of BB, Walt and Jesse were standing in a scrapyard waiting to meet Tuco
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 13:50   #24
Woz
Viva indifference

I found Breaking Bad to be full of itself in the middle section and to actually deliberately taunt its audience with how slow it could be (The Fly episode for one).

Totally agree with joconnor here...the Mexican twins were like something out of a Cohen Brothers movie, done much worse. Hank blows up a building with fulminated mercury to threaten Tuco, which is exactly like an 80's action movie. Not only that but he has a massive bag of it with him during the explosion, which somehow doesn't explode like the bit he dropped on the floor...I don't think BB can be considered realistic. The last 2 seasons are brilliant though.

Last edited by Woz; 04-09-2017 at 13:58.
Old 04-09-2017, 17:55   #25
Shingster
Trusted User

It's still considerably more "believeable" than Ozark, sure it's cartoony in places but the build up creates the reality, they build and build and build to some crazy event so that when that happens, you can (almost) buy it. Ozark on the other hand relies so heavily on instant contrivances that you start thinking this family must be cursed by some spiteful deity (the craziest point in the season for me was the whole appropriating of the savings of the mother of that real estate guy, who then promptly gets run over by a truck the instant they've spent her money!).

It's like the writers didn't entirely trust the characters to drive the narrative and needed an overriding threat looming over them at all times. It's not a big deal, but by episode 7 it started to get tedious (they brought it back with that excellent flashback episode though). I'm in complete agreement with joconnor that its strength is in breaking tropes, the cast is fantastic and the characters are all really well developed, I just hope that moving forward the writers will simply explore the characters and their day-to-day lives more and not resort to always having a dangerous situation compelling their actions for the duration of the episode, because it will just get harder and harder for the to keep doing that and keep the show grounded. I kinda fell like it should be like Breaking Bad in reverse, start off full of sensational plotting and become just a little bit more grounded as it goes forward. I'd also like the crime element to be more detailed and less smoke & mirrors, because that element is also engrossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
Remember at this point of BB, Walt and Jesse were standing in a scrapyard waiting to meet Tuco
And that's a bad thing? When did slow burn equal bad? Most of the best shows of the last 10yrs are slow to develop. Heck I think Better Call Saul is the best thing on TV right now and that's as slow as BB was.

Last edited by Shingster; 04-09-2017 at 17:57.
Old 05-09-2017, 15:19   #26
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I just hope that moving forward the writers will simply explore the characters and their day-to-day lives more...
I really hope not! I really don't care if Marty's sister-in-law has a penchant for shoplifting!
Old 05-09-2017, 17:38   #27
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah that's obviously not what I meant, I meant the drama of their situation, how they cope, focus on the family dynamic and developing the characters and not coming up with more and more fanciful ways to put pressure on them, because there are only so many locals you can kill off with a dumpster truck. Just tone down the plotting just a little bit.

Last edited by Shingster; 05-09-2017 at 18:42.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:54   #28
ROne
Trusted User

I really enjoyed the flashback episode too. It actually doesn't remind of Breaking Bad at all. Breaking Bad is not particularly bleak in tone (most of the time.) Ozark drips with darkness.

Ozark is great with its minor characters too.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:13   #29
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROne View Post
I really enjoyed the flashback episode too. It actually doesn't remind of Breaking Bad at all. Breaking Bad is not particularly bleak in tone (most of the time.) Ozark drips with darkness.

Ozark is great with its minor characters too.
Yes, the bad guys in this are bad...they really remind me of the ruthless people in Justified. Rotten to the core, but not cartoon evil.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19   #30
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

The flashback episode was the one episode I didn't like, just seemed pointless, but loved everything else.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 15:23   #31
Woz
Viva indifference

Anyone watching Season 2 of this? I'm up to ep 6 and loving it. I think it's one of the strongest dramas out there at the moment.
Old 10-10-2018, 16:09   #32
DSG
Stella !

yeah watched it the other week as soon as it came out. Pretty good stuff and definitely following that Breaking Bad-esque descent into the criminal underworld.
Old 10-10-2018, 16:36   #33
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Second season was sublime, not a dull moment. Jason Bateman plays his part to perfection and IMO this is as good as HBO level drama.

Can't wait for more.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:49   #34
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Yeah, S2 was as good as the first.

Also just spotted that S3 has been confirmed!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 20:29   #35
Bravoman
Trusted User

Anyone else watched S3? Thought it was better than S2.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 20:32   #36
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
Anyone else watched S3? Thought it was better than S2.

Yeah, definitely an improvement over S2 but not quite up to the sublime S1. Still better than most Netflix output. The acting & direction in particular remain top-drawer.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 20:51   #37
dvdphile
Early Adopter

I’ve stuck with Ozark too and enjoyed all 3 seasons. I would agree that the 1st was probably the best though. This latest season had some slow episodes but also the jaw dropping moments we’ve come to expect when we least expect them!
dvdphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 07:53   #38
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Yeah, definitely an improvement over S2 but not quite up to the sublime S1. Still better than most Netflix output. The acting & direction in particular remain top-drawer.
I thought the guy who played Ben was superb. So many threads hanging for S4!
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 13:52   #39
brendonw
Xbox Live-BrendonDoubleU

Smashed my way through this in a couple of weeks.

For the most part superb, but different in many ways to BB.

It's kinda silly and OTT in parts but it draws you in and keeps you watching intently.
brendonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 17:29   #40
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
I thought the guy who played Ben was superb.
Took me ages to place what he was in.

He was in Banshee. He was the Ex Neo-Nazi, covered in Tattoos, who became a deputy.
alsemail is online now   Reply With Quote