Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 13-02-2020, 00:50   #161
Shingster
Trusted User

Just seen episode 2, well I don't know what it is I'm watching, but one thing I do know is that this isn't The Witcher. I think this show needs to be filed next to Preacher in the "all they wanted was the character names and **** all else of the source material" category of completely botched TV adaptations. Such a shame.

Saying that, this episode was better because the magic council faffery gives the writers more leeway to do some more creative world building - Not a single bit of it seems to be inspired by anything Sapkowski has written, but at least they're not wallowing in clichés.

I can see why people have been completely confused by the non-linear timelines, seeing as Geralt's story in episode one dropped a hint that it took part when Calanthe was young and in this episode Jaskier appears so this must be around 30yrs later. That's quite the jump! Geralt's plotline again was completely gutted and Ciri's plotline is just dull. The problem with having this three-way narrative is that they've got to find **** for Ciri to do to fill all this extra time she now has in the story, and they clearly have nothing to say with too much time to say it in. Geralt's plotline again has just been gutted BIG time this time though, they've removed about 80% of it in fact, which makes me wonder why they bothered in the first place!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 16:05   #162
Shingster
Trusted User

Mediocre first season with absolutely appalling writing that trampled all over the source material, shure it made an impact because of the enduring popularity of the video games and the world Sapkowski created being so colourful that even when you're changing everything around, it's still intriguing... Now Netflix have put a spin off prequel show into production set 1200yrs prior (which means the books have finally been slung in the bin because this period isn't really covered): https://www.thedigitalfix.com/televi...dium=facebook]

I can't help but feel that when the novelty of The Witcher world wears off and this show has to rely on the writing ability of the its staff to keep it going, this is franchise is gonna crash and burn so bad it'll make the fall of Game of Thrones look restrained.

Last edited by Shingster; 27-07-2020 at 16:09.
Old 27-07-2020, 16:31   #163
MaxNutter

I enjoyed it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 27-07-2020, 17:01   #164
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Mediocre first season with absolutely appalling writing that trampled all over the source material, shure it made an impact because of the enduring popularity of the video games and the world Sapkowski created being so colourful that even when you're changing everything around, it's still intriguing... Now Netflix have put a spin off prequel show into production set 1200yrs prior (which means the books have finally been slung in the bin because this period isn't really covered): https://www.thedigitalfix.com/televi...dium=facebook]

I can't help but feel that when the novelty of The Witcher world wears off and this show has to rely on the writing ability of the its staff to keep it going, this is franchise is gonna crash and burn so bad it'll make the fall of Game of Thrones look restrained.
Don't look at who's writing the prequel then...

It's a surprising thing to do. Normally Netflix just give their shows (even massive 'commercial' hits) 3 seasons and then can them too soon.

My best guess is they're trying to do what AMC did with The Walking Dead and keep the franchise fresh that way.

Netflix are only interested in shows that keep new subscribers coming in. Shows don't do that after 3/4 seasons, hence they get cancelled. I can't see The Witcher bucking that trend.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 21:34   #165
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah I don't understand this announcement either tbh, we all know that Netflix like to commission big flashy expensive shows to entice new subscribers and then they cut the balls off said shows after a season or two has done what they commissioned it for in the first place... but I fail to see how a spin off of The Witcher is going to entice anyone who isn't already a fan of the first show? I know the show was a big hit, so maybe it was successful enough to warrant a spin-off to keep things fresh as you say?

The crazy thing is, this is gonna be a show explaining the origins of Witchers set before the conjunction of the spheres when Elves ruled the Witcher world... but Humans and Monsters didn't enter this world until the Conjunction! That's the purpose of this plot device of a Conjunction of Spheres: To explain how humans and elves and monsters came to co-exist (and it's the same in the show), so why would the elves create a witcher, whose sole purpose is to fight monsters, in a world that has no monsters yet? Logic: It's the very first thing that the people writing the TV show threw out the window when they "adapted" this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
I enjoyed it.
The show's not bad on its own merits, but it's exactly the same as Preacher: They took something amazing and turned it into a total confusing mess that is just "meh". I'm hoping the quality can improve in season 2 and the show can stand on its own merits, but I'm really skeptical about that, especially after the way season one ended because they have completely written themselves into a black hole where they can't follow the plot of the books because they've completely deconstructed and ruined the main antagonist. They're gonna have to completely reconstruct the story.

Last edited by Shingster; 27-07-2020 at 21:54.
Old 27-07-2020, 22:38   #166
MaxNutter

I think that's often the issue, and why Game of Thrones was so good, it's so often extremely difficult to translate it to the screen.

Regarding The Preacher, I'd have thought that impossible, without massive changes. I thought that of The Boys too, but Amazon have done an awesome job.

Old 27-07-2020, 22:53   #167
Shingster
Trusted User

There's nothing difficult about translating The Witcher to the screen, same with Game of Thrones outside of the cost involved in creating these worlds, because at heart they're very grounded fantasies (Witcher is actually more grounded because its focus is very personal and the big epic battles and such tend to be in the background). The Witcher is also complete, and although spans seven books, the story is actually short enough to be the perfect length for a 3-5season show. It's the fantasy equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel adaptation-wise. You've just got to worry about how much CGI you wanna pump into it, but for The Witcher's purposes you need relatively little by today's Netflix standards.

Game of Thrones was great for so many seasons precisely because it was about 90% faithful to the source, when they caught up with that source and had to rely on the talents of their TV writing staff, it went to pot. The Witcher TV writing staff took a massive **** on the source material right from the get go. They never even attempted to adapt it properly, and now the show will live or die based on their ability to create something new.

Why would Preacher need massive changes? Everything sacreligious and profane that the comic did, the TV if anything did it one worse, just differently. Again they never even attempted to bring the source material to screen and the end result is a show that nobody is going to remember five years from now, just look at how the discussion threads on every forum were completely dead by the third season - for Preacher ffs!

The Boys season one was excellent and at the very least they completely nailed the tone of Garth Ennis's writing. People praised Preacher for doing the same (nailing the tone), but the TV show is much wackier and nonsensical, it's closer in tone to True Blood than Preacher. I'm not asking for total adherence to source material here, just some recognition of WHY anyone would want to adapt these shows in the first place, which is that the writing is really strong and the story deserves to be brought to screen unmolested. There's nothing about Preacher and The Witcher that tells me the people involved in creating the shows ever had any interest in the source material. They exhibit a clear lack of understanding and disdain in every creative decision they make.

It's a shame because The Witcher could have been an instant rival for Game of Thrones, instead it's just... meh. A bit of a jumbled mess by the time season one ends.

Last edited by Shingster; 27-07-2020 at 23:09.
Old 27-07-2020, 23:01   #168
MaxNutter

I bow down to your (vastly) superior knowledge of the source.

Old 28-07-2020, 15:04   #169
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,111 Times in 499 Posts
I enjoyed it mostly but it could of been better. Was expecting Game of thrones s8 quality
Old 28-07-2020, 22:35   #170
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah that's my issue with it, it was Game of Thrones s8 quality when it should have been Game of Thrones s1 quality, however I will admit that there is hope that the quality can improve and they can get back on track with the books - I mean, they've completely ruined some of the major characters, but they could simply introduce new characters to play the roles these characters were supposed to take in the story I suppose - and that's because the first two Witcher books were short story compendiums and the main "saga" takes place after the point where season one ends (so season one was an "adaptation" of the first two books), so in theory there's more leeway in altering the story. s2 is going to be the crunch season.

I remain doubtful that they will adhere closer to the books because they changed so much in season one (and there's the major problem of them completely altering how magic works and introduced a load of weird **** that the magic academy seems to be up to (I mean WTF were the writers smoking when they came up with the idea of
)
Old 29-07-2020, 14:39   #171
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

I wouldn't say its game of thrones s8 quality at all. GOT s8 was some of the worst cack I've seen on how they wrapped it up with characters made moronic choices because the plot needed to happen.
Old 29-07-2020, 20:50   #172
Shingster
Trusted User

Ah right, I thought you were saying you were expecting The Witcher to be GoT s8 quality and it was. I didn't think Season 8 of GoT was as disastrous as many seem to think it is, just a huge drop in quality from the rest of the show, which is the same drop in quality from the book source of The Witcher to its TV adaptation. Same level of completely baffling decisions on the part of the TV staff, but at least the GoT crew had the excuse that they no longer had a novel blueprint to fall back on.
Old 30-07-2020, 12:34   #173
cliff homewood
Trusted User

It wasn't s8 though it was season 7 when the books ran out and the quality dropped, with them all going as a gang on missions and near enough all comnig back ok. George RR Martin would never do that!
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 19:46   #174
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Yeah s7 is where they run of books to use. But s8 was lazy and horribly rushed due to dumb and dumber wanting to get to their star wars gig (which all fell through) there was so much "danny just forgot..." became a meme is a classic
Old 31-07-2020, 12:55   #175
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Star Wars is another one not keen on the fan service of the new trilogy. Even as a fan I think ignore the fans maybe the best advice, as i like to see my films to take risks, which is why i think I might liek the second one the most, as the first was just a copy, with some great sequences and the third i really did not like. Just dumb.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:49   #176
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Speaking as a Star Wars fan, the first film of the new trilogy was throwaway. The second film was ok in itself, but the behaviours were wrong for the established characters and it completely destroyed any arc that was being set up. The third film was an abomination, but that was likely caused by the destruction of the story arc so they just went, look pew pew! Solo was actually ok.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:59   #177
MaxNutter

Rogue One was great

Old 31-07-2020, 15:01   #178
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Rogue One was great

Indeed. Didn't mention it as it's almost universally praised.
Old 31-07-2020, 15:15   #179
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Indeed. Didn't mention it as it's almost universally praised.
Yeah, I was just grouping it in as part of the third wave, and I've not seen any of the others

Old 03-08-2020, 13:18   #180
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yeha my rule is the numbered recent films are the weakest, Han Solo to me was unfairly derailed as it was easily a better film than the last one we had (the finale) and Rogue One starts a bit too slow but is indeed the jewel of all these recent films, as it matches up perfectly!