Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 24-12-2019, 14:22   #101
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
It seems to me that on Netflix you basically need to be Stranger Things to get to just keep going.

Kinda ironic (and annoying), as Stranger Things appeared to be pitched as a one-off event and it worked really well on that basis. I haven’t seen the third season yet, as I lost all enthusiasm for it after season two.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 14:31   #102
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,113 Times in 500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmatetone View Post
Kinda ironic (and annoying), as Stranger Things appeared to be pitched as a one-off event and it worked really well on that basis. I haven’t seen the third season yet, as I lost all enthusiasm for it after season two.
Season 3 is a lot better, season 2 almost killed the show for me
Old 25-12-2019, 09:58   #103
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Seen the 1st 2 ep and its actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The nilfgaardian armour looks horrible still.

HC is doing a good Geralt voice and from what I've read he is gamer and enjoying the role. Glad he is nothing like his role in superman. The show is not as cheap as some on the net have said, its not GoT levels of budget but its better than BBC only budget show.

Yennifer story dragged and the actress is too young to be her
from the wiki I can see they changed things for the tv show but I think its down to casting choice
Old 25-12-2019, 11:40   #104
ourmatetone

[Netflix] The Witcher series in production!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Yennifer story dragged and the actress is too young to be her

Yen is supposed to be fourteen at the start of her story, so I gather they just tried to make her look younger in those first few episodes.

It takes a while for her character to bloom, but I thought she nailed it.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 25-12-2019 at 11:44.
Old 25-12-2019, 11:52   #105
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
The show is not as cheap as some on the net have said, its not GoT levels of budget but its better than BBC only budget show.

It has the same 10m per episode as GoT had.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 12:03   #106
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Starting to see some articles that say it's a hit...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 25-12-2019, 20:33   #107
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
It has the same 10m per episode as GoT had.
I wonder if it's filmed at a higher frame rate than GoT? Watching Witcher reminded me a little of the first Hobbit. I saw that in the cinema but in the HFR version and that looked really TV-like even on the big screen.
The Witcher also has that, but as I'm watching in Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos at home, it looks as good as anything I can watch in my home, but still has that 'tv' look to it.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 21:03   #108
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,655 Times in 557 Posts
I didn't think it was in Dolby Vision? When I had a quick look yesterday I'm sure it just said Ultra HD 4K.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 21:14   #109
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

It's in Dolby Vision. Can't say it looked like it was HFR or anything, the HDR presentation was incredibly impressive.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 10:41   #110
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Seen 4th eps now and Yen is slightly getting better. I think the mass army battles are not as good as GoT. It does have more a TV look for 10 mil per ep budget. Saying that I'm enjoying it

I know why some of the main stream critics trashed it, they were really annoyed because it was "not woke enough for them" A friend I was watching ep 3 and 4 last night, she works in PR and deals with media industry and some of are ***** off as they wanted the show they own way. Hence the low reviews, not that their reviews matter but its there to lower the overall score

Ep4 was a bit confusing at first, my friend thought it was set just before the events of ep1 but once we looked up who these people are

Last edited by fivebyfive; 26-12-2019 at 10:47.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 18:31   #111
ourmatetone

Quote:
I know why some of the main stream critics trashed it, they were really annoyed because it was "not woke enough for them"

It is somewhat problematic and rapey, much like the source material. Interesting, as it has a female show runner and many of the directors are women.

Rather progressively though, it has a surprisingly diverse cast. It wouldn’t surprise me if there had been some vitriolic reactions to that, but I thought they picked great actors all around.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 26-12-2019 at 18:35.
Old 26-12-2019, 21:01   #112
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Finished it today. For someone who knows utterly nothing about this I found it incredibly hard to follow the time jumps. In the end I googled a timeline to assist me but this will put a lot of people off it I’d have thought.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it but the Ł10m a episode must have been split Ł8m for Superman and Ł2m the rest. It looked worse than the first season of GoT in places.

And as for the dragon well the less said the better.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 09:52   #113
Slender
Trusted User

I'm a huge fan of the games (finished all three) but haven't read the books. I absolutely loved the Netflix series. The characters are well cast, especially Henry Cavill. I like how little they explain about what a Witcher is and you have to figure it out by details spread about the episodes.
What was a bit jarring at first is that they renamed the bard character. He's called Dandelion in the games but Jasziek in the show. I also thought there was a huge inconsistency between the games and the show regarding
but I ended up reading a huge spoiler for probably season two.
Slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:42   #114
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Rather progressively though, it has a surprisingly diverse cast.
Hardly any Latina or Chinese etc cast members, so not quite diverse

Quote:
It wouldn’t surprise me if there had been some vitriolic reactions to that, but I thought they picked great actors all around.
That really hasn't, the show runners tried to make ciri "BAME" at some point apparently to be "progressive" at one point (despite what the book said). i think the games have a put a image of what the characters are suppose to look like as people have been playing them for years. the ep with triss in and I thought "thats triss?" Same with Yen.
Old 27-12-2019, 17:51   #115
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
I also thought there was a huge inconsistency between the games and the show regarding
but I ended up reading a huge spoiler for probably season two.

Actually, that’s not something that is revealed until right at the end of the final book. Having played the games first though, it wasn’t much of a revelation.

Quote:
Hardly any Latina or Chinese etc cast members, so not quite diverse

Eh, well, compared to the games at least. From memory, the only person of colour in The Witcher 3 was a succubus from one of the contracts. It works well, as the racism in the world is between humans and non-humans (e.g. dwarves and elves).

Last edited by ourmatetone; 27-12-2019 at 17:58.
Old 27-12-2019, 18:10   #116
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Eh, well, compared to the games at least. From memory, the only person of colour in The Witcher 3 was a succubus from one of the contracts.
I need to get around to reading the books but aren't the books like that where its set in fantasy medieval poland/east European country where people who are non white are from zerrikania? The heart of stone DLC for witcher had people of colour who are visiting the port
Old 27-12-2019, 18:24   #117
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
What was a bit jarring at first is that they renamed the bard character. He's called Dandelion in the games but Jasziek in the show.
Jaskier is his proper name, for some bizarre reason they decided to translate his name into English for the games, so he ended up with the utterly ridiculous name of Dandelion.
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 18:28   #118
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Today I learned Jaskier means buttercup
Old 27-12-2019, 18:40   #119
ourmatetone

Quote:
I need to get around to reading the books but aren't the books like that where its set in fantasy medieval poland/east European country where people who are non white are from zerrikania? The heart of stone DLC for witcher had people of colour who are visiting the port

Oh, yes. I had forgotten all about the Ofieri in the DLC! Well remembered.

Honestly can’t recall if the books ever go into the skin colour of the Zerrikanians, but you could be right.

My impression is mainly built from how they weren’t confined by race in the casting, and just picked actors who fit (which is how it should be).

Quote:
Today I learned Jaskier means buttercup

Yes, that’s correct. Maybe the English language publishers felt that “Buttercup” sounded too much like a horse.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 27-12-2019 at 18:41.
Old 27-12-2019, 22:11   #120
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah they couldn't use the literal "Buttercup" because that's really a term of affection in English, so they decided to switch plants rather than just go with the bleedin' original name of Jaskier, it really makes no sense.

You can't translate names or proper nouns the way you do ordinary words because the cultural meaning is often completely different. From what I gather the word Jaskier in Polish culture isn't used as a typical name, but it's not as widely understood as Dandelion is in English, so it fits better as a name. Obviously to an english viewer though the name of Jaskier just fits in with the other kinda polish sounding names of the witcher world, you're not sitting there thinking "why the bloody hell did he choose to be known as Dandelion?".

Last edited by Shingster; 27-12-2019 at 22:12.
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote