Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 21-12-2019, 01:22   #81
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Watched the first episode and it was fine. It does slightly have the feel off a poor man's Game of Thrones and some of the acting felt a bit lifeless, but GoT struggled with that as well in early seasons. I've only played The Wild Hunt so know a decent amount about the world but like others have said it's probably confusing for people without knowledge of it though.

Unless it's a massive smash (which I very much doubt) this will likely get just the standard 2 seasons Netflix give everything and then probably will get canned. It seems like a show that needs space to grow but Netflix won't give it that.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 09:04   #82
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
I kind of thought this was bad.

Only watched episode 1 so far and I've got no history with either the book or the games, but this really felt like a BBC remake of Game of Thrones.

Bad lighting, mediocre CGI, less than great acting and a plot that seemed to require prior knowledge of the viewer. Bit of a confused mess.

But hey, that sword fight was good for 60 seconds.
Saved me typing all that out
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 09:52   #83
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

EP1 only for me so far.
Liked the Geralt Voice - as I played Witcher 3 that's how I expect him to sound
Action scenes were nice, if a little jarring at times - that battle decapitation scene especially. Ciri is actually likeable, I was expecting to instantly dislike her pampered character, but no.
Even the Royals appeared to give us some backstory in the short time they had.
Without any backstory, Mrs F. lost interest pretty quickly, despite my quick summary introduction. She also wasn't too keen on the gore.

Looking forward to the next one.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:16   #84
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Never played the game or read the book and didn't find it difficult to follow. Sure I was lost in a few things but I am sure that will explain those along the way. Second episode was pretty good too.

I will agree certain things do look a little cheap, not sure why cause it does look like they spent a lot of money on it.

Henry Cavill for me nails his part and looks like he is really having fun.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 21:23   #85
Fatbloke

Ep 2 and 3 seen now. Really getting into it. Each episode has a monster of the day plus a little more back story for each main character. Yen is a really good character and it's been nice to see her before she gets too experienced.
Really liked the Striga segment in Ep3.
Old 21-12-2019, 23:49   #86
zantarous

So had a few people over today one had already binged all 8 episodes yesterday, the other had seen none. We all watched the first 4 episodes and are all in agreement this is some really good stuff.

Old 22-12-2019, 07:13   #87
Fatbloke

Yes - it's become evident that there are three timelines in the series. I assume they will merge at some later point. They casually drop in a 30 year skip too.
Old 22-12-2019, 08:55   #88
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Watched the whole thing yesterday and really enjoyed it. It had the right balance of horror, drama and humour, so there’s a clear understanding of the spirit of the source material on display. It is essentially all setup though, so Netflix will have to commit to a long term plan for the series to meet its potential. Hopefully it’ll find a sizeable audience in its first two seasons.

I suspect the way it plays with time will confuse anyone who hasn’t read the books, but it was a really interesting way for adapting what is essentially a collection of short stories. Once they start to get into the saga, I expect the show will take on a more conventional structure.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 09:15   #89
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I will agree certain things do look a little cheap, not sure why cause it does look like they spent a lot of money on it.

I don’t think the weird costume design really helps with that, it did lend a cheapness to the production. I guess they were trying to visually set it apart from all the other popular fantasy shows at the moment, but it didn’t quite work for me.
Old 23-12-2019, 02:31   #90
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Don't really understand why there's an issue time wise. It's about time a series didn't lead you by the hand and explain every little detail. I'm saying that as someone who has read all the books and played the games so actually....well yes it's really easy for me

If i hadn't then **** me i'd be totally lost!!
Old 23-12-2019, 14:21   #91
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,111 Times in 499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
Don't really understand why there's an issue time wise. It's about time a series didn't lead you by the hand and explain every little detail. I'm saying that as someone who has read all the books and played the games so actually....well yes it's really easy for me
The show needs to appeal to non books and games fans for it to get season 3 and beyond. At the start GoT did well explaining the world etc without too much explaining
Old 24-12-2019, 08:48   #92
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
The show needs to appeal to non books and games fans for it to get season 3 and beyond. At the start GoT did well explaining the world etc without too much explaining

This is my concern too. Hopefully they’ll jump straight into the saga in season two and take on a more linear approach. They’ve covered enough from the short stories in the first season to establish the world.
Old 24-12-2019, 11:10   #93
zantarous

Finished this of yesterday, this was brilliant. Those final episodes were epic. It really leaves you gagging for more and nicely sets up a second series.

Old 24-12-2019, 11:27   #94
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
For the show to even get a S3 I think it's going to need S1 to be a decent 'sleeper' hit that people slowly find on Netflix (as it doesn't seem like it's been a massive hit at launch) and then for S2 to really land strong.

Unless it's a massive hit, at the amount it costs Netflix, they'll cancel it before any chance of a S3. Netflix just don't support shows unless they're a 'ratings' or critical hit. It's the reason why I don't get too investing into Netflix shows. They're business model is far more about constantly having the shiny new thing than backing stuff over the long term.

I also think the binge model will work against The Witcher. Despite the success of GoT and LOTR fantasy is still a hard sell and weekly drip feeding is more likely to raise it's profile. GoT I think needed those 10 weeks of the first season to really build up its reputation.
Old 24-12-2019, 11:40   #95
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
For the show to even get a S3 I think it's going to need S1 to be a decent 'sleeper' hit that people slowly find on Netflix (as it doesn't seem like it's been a massive hit at launch) and then for S2 to really land strong. [Spoiler]

What are you basing this on?

Netflix just don't support shows unless they're a 'ratings' or critical hit. It's the reason why I don't get too investing into Netflix shows.

That's the business model of every content provider, if it doesn't get the viewers it's cancellation city. I have lost count of the shows I watched from the US networks that died after the first season despite being good and have a vocal fanbase.
Old 24-12-2019, 11:49   #96
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
That's the business model of every content provider, if it doesn't get the viewers it's cancellation city. I have lost count of the shows I watched from the US networks that died after the first season despite being good and have a vocal fanbase.
Obviously that's always been true but the model Netflix is using is different. Have a look at this:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/netflix...me-1202576297/

It seems to me that on Netflix you basically need to be Stranger Things to get to just keep going. I enjoyed the first episode of The Witcher enough that I'll watch the rest. I loved playing TW3 and really believe the source material could generate an amazing show. I just don't see Netflix committing to doing that though.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:03   #97
Fatbloke

It's showing as number#1 in the UK at the moment on their main menu, so it's picked up a few views I guess. I have ep 8 to see, really liking it so far.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:35   #98
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,111 Times in 499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
For the show to even get a S3 I think it's going to need S1 to be a decent 'sleeper' hit that people slowly find on Netflix (as it doesn't seem like it's been a massive hit at launch) and then for S2 to really land strong.
Season 2 has already been greenlit
Old 24-12-2019, 12:39   #99
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Season 2 has already been greenlit
That's to be expected, just having one given how much it cost would not be sensible. The question is whether there's a third or more. IMO I think something like The Witcher would need at least 4 to be worthwhile, especially if they're just 8 episodes each.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:44   #100
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

2 episodes in and I never knew a thing about The Witcher before I started.

I still don’t.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote