Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 05-09-2018, 04:51   #21
Shingster
Trusted User

Oops! The damage has already been done I'm afraid!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 21:38   #22
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Such is reporting these days it has been reported by the Hollywood Reporter that HC is out as Superman. Yet others are reporting that he is still on board. However don't hold out too much hope. The writing was on the wall for a while and if he can't make cameos for some of the films due to scheduling you bet your life they are gonna get someone who can.

So let the nominations for the new Superman begin:

I'll get the obvious ones out of the way: Idris Elba, Gillian Anderson, Will Smith, That guy from Game Of Thrones.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 23:04   #23
Shingster
Trusted User

I think you may have the wrong thread and the wrong forum?

Mind you, seeing Idris Elba suggested for Superman has reminded me of something Witcher related that has got all manner of "internet fans" up in a tizz: They've sent out a casting call for Ciri and they are specifically looking for a "BAME actress around 16/15 who can play down to 13/14".

Seems to have gathered more collective huffing than the news that Disney are courting Zendaya for The Little Mermaid!

Last edited by Shingster; 12-09-2018 at 23:09.
Old 13-09-2018, 09:23   #24
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Yes, the reactions are ridiculous. Especially since BAME includes someone of Eastern European descent (eg., Polish).
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 23:20   #25
Shingster
Trusted User

I think claiming Polish is part of the Minority Ethnic part of that description is really pushing it tbh LHG. Technically you're correct in the UK bureaucratic sense of the term, but I think it's safe to say in this context, used by the US entertainment industry, it most likely means "other non-white race" which will most likely mean latino.
Old 14-09-2018, 05:17   #26
Taq
Evil Scientist

A new development
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09...-ciri-casting/
Old 15-09-2018, 21:01   #27
Shingster
Trusted User

I wonder if this is the result of journalists getting their wires crossed with the first announcement or if they got cold feet after seeing all the moaning online after that first announcement.
Old 15-09-2018, 21:23   #28
redmosquito
Trusted User

I'm going with cold feet after seeing the reaction. The writer was on twitter and could have easily clarified if she wanted after the ****storm hit, she never did and then took a hiatus.

Personally I don't think the reaction was ridiculous at all, you obviously have the minority who are just racist assholes but most people were actually just pretty dismayed at the the thought of Ciri being cast as black/Asian/latino. You think if Blank Panther was all of a sudden cast as a white dude people would be happy?

I'm all for diversity in the cast but you can't just take a well defined character and change her race, Ciri, Geralt aside, is literally the most important character in the universe. You can't really change Ciri's race without either changing the whole of the Nilfgaardian empire or changing the whole race of elves she's descended from on her mothers side.

They'll back track and cast a white girl no doubt but I hold little hope for the series now as it shows rather than honouring the original material there are forces at work pushing their own vision.

Last edited by redmosquito; 15-09-2018 at 21:25.
redmosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 23:47   #29
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmosquito View Post
Personally I don't think the reaction was ridiculous at all, you obviously have the minority who are just racist assholes but most people were actually just pretty dismayed at the the thought of Ciri being cast as black/Asian/latino. You think if Blank Panther was all of a sudden cast as a white dude people would be happy?
You mean like they did to Mary Jane in Spiderman recently? Heimdall and Valkyrie in Thor? Domino in Deadpool? Johnny Storm in Fan4? Electro? The Mandarin? How about a teeny-tiny character that crops up in many Marvel films that you might know as Nick Fury? There's even The Ancient One in Dr. Strange, now that's both race AND sex! They also changed Mordo's race to black in that film!

Let's jump over to DC: You've got Aquaman, Perry White, Bane, Catwoman (and that's Eartha Kitt before people start moaning about Halle Berry), and Harvey Dent (Blilly Dee Williams played him in the first Burton Batman). Burton also cast Marlon Wayans as Robin when he was still handling Batman Forever but obviously that wasn't to be.

And that's just Comic Book films. If you want me to go into the successful race swapping in normal film adaptations (Like Red in Shawshank), and specifically whitewashing through the years, then there's going to be a pretty big list posted to this page, isn't there?

Quote:
You can't really change Ciri's race without either changing the whole of the Nilfgaardian empire or changing the whole race of elves she's descended from on her mothers side.
Eh? You are aware that each child has TWO parents, right? That's kind of how it works. They can keep the "important" bloodline in tact and just introduce a splash of colour in her lineage elsewhere. Ciri's father is from Metinna which isn't a particularly important region with regards to the central plot, so you can change his race any which way you choose without affecting anything serious.

I too believe that you should respect the racial/cultural make-up of a character, but unless said race and colour are absolutely crucial to that character's fictional essence - like a Black Panther or a Kingpin (to give an example where making the character black meant they had to completely alter the very nature of the role) - then they're always going to be fair game.

I don't really care whether the actress they cast as Ciri looks like the character from the books/games. I just care that she's good. We need them to cast someone who will absolutely nail the role now that they have so badly miscast Geralt.

Last edited by Shingster; 16-09-2018 at 17:22.
Old 10-10-2018, 16:14   #30
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A bunch more casting announcements. Looking fine to me.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflixs-wit...tan-1829654480
Old 10-10-2018, 17:47   #31
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

I'd assumed Yennifer would be a little older, but I'm sure make-up can assist there.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 18:23   #32
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,111 Times in 499 Posts
just from the pics of the actress on that site, they look a bit young for Ciri and Yennefer (the one for Ciri could be playing her for flashbacks) Maybe as mentioned make up will make the difference for on screen

As for the "lets make Ciri black because we are so progressive!!!1111" YES a tiny amount of people were racist (but they are looking for reasons to be racist)
but imagine the internet hatred if they made (for example), a new blade film but he was not black, the ones wanting ciri as "black" would sending death threats to everyone involved, hateful articles on sites like vox, Vice, polygon and all the other dumpster fire sites
Old 10-10-2018, 18:58   #33
JimDriver2
Trusted User

They've also cast a bunch of other roles as well. I only recognised one name out of all of them, MyAnna Buring who's been good in a few small roles I've seen her in, and according to IMDB she did voice for Witcher 3 DLC!

The actress playing Yennefer looks older in other photos of her. The important thing to remember is they're trying to use the books as a basis for the show and not the games. Casting a lot of unknowns is probably a pretty smart move as well, a lot of the GoT key roles were similarly cast.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 20:12   #34
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Ciri is a 10 (ish?) year old girl (in the books I've read, at least), so that actress looks perfect.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 10-10-2018 at 20:13.
Old 10-10-2018, 20:28   #35
Shingster
Trusted User

Don't know enough about the actress playing Yennifer to form an opinion on her ability to play the part, other than "**** me, she looks about 15 in that photo".

The girl playing Ciri looks on-point and I'm relieved they've cast someone who could play that 10-12yr age range. I don't like the idea of them starting off with a teenage Ciri.

Other side characters announced is a little perplexing, seems they're taking stuff from here, there, and everywhere rather than strictly adapting the early books.

I'm so grateful for Lauren Hissrich for finally giving this property a "global audience", because everybody knows only Polish people have ever heard of The Witcher!

Last edited by Shingster; 10-10-2018 at 20:40.
Old 31-10-2018, 17:48   #36
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Christopher Lambert from Mortal Kombat as Geralt

Old 31-10-2018, 18:18   #37
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Christopher Lambert from Mortal Kombat as Geralt

Yep, as much as I still have hopes for this I'd not have shared that!

Where are the massive scars?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 31-10-2018, 18:31   #38
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Anna Shaffer will play triss according to hollywood reporter. Sort of missed the look of triss there
Old 31-10-2018, 19:13   #39
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

He looks better than I had expected, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
Where are the massive scars?
He gets them in

Triss can look

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 01-11-2018 at 15:37.
Old 31-10-2018, 19:25   #40
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Doesn't he have cats eyes too, or is that just in the game?

Still not a bad look. As long as he can pull of grumpy, it's a positive start.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote