Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 18-01-2016, 08:36   #1
Tempest
Trusted User

Networking between 2 PC's - One is reluctant to connect

Wonder if anyone could she any light on this:

Two PC's. both running Windows 10, with their own network cards, connected via Ethernet cable to a hub with gigabit speeds.
One PC always seems to be reluctant and forgetful about finding the other machine on the network.

In file manager the name of the other machine is there, but when clicking on it, can't connect. I can go into troubleshooting and some error that can't be fixed it says.

I can try this again and again, but no joy.

Then, perhaps 5 mins later I just try again and it's decided to work. and work fine, I close file manager do something else, try again, yes still working fine.
Ok, well all seems happy now.

Do some other bits, try again a bit later (let's say a hour or two but I'm guessing) Oh no it can't connect the the other machine again, same error that can't be fixed. No way.

What I have found might be working if, when I 1st try and it fails, there is a green bar at the top of the file manager window that moves from left to right as if it's searching, and this bar gets slower and slower and slower the further to the right it gets (sure you know this one)

If I just ignore the network error, do nothing and just let this bar climb over a few minutes with the error window on screen, then try again it than often will work.

(Almost like it's had a long time to think about it!)

I know this is all a bit vague and crazy, but any initial thoughts?

Oh yes, the other way round, the other PC to this PC seems to be fine and works right away no problem
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:32   #2
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

the one that's not working will either have:

1) It's network type (on the connection itself) set to something other than Home (Public and Office are the other two options).
2) Firewall on that PC doesn't think the connection is trusted.

Either or both of those are usually what fixes it for me. I suggest comparing those two settings on both machines and sync them to the Pc that's working OK.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (18-01-2016)
Old 18-01-2016, 13:00   #3
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanks, when I get home I'll have a look at those things.
I hate it when things sometimes generally work after a bit of thinking about it
either work or don't work... dammit !!!!
Old 18-01-2016, 20:42   #4
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanks again.
I had a bit of a fiddle tonight, but I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit, Network settings have never been my strong point

A few weird things, but hard to actually explain, I went through the settings.
(in one area) and matched them up better.

The PC's just kinda seem different, one of them seems to want a password from the other but not in the other direction.
Likewise the slow to work out what's going on PC still have it's moments.
Seems to take an age, Then it seems to work fine, reboot and it still works fine, yet another time it seems to need to think about it and refuse to work for 5 or 10 mins then works fine again.

Now I've gone through some of the settings, I'll see what the next few days bring.

As both PC's have had Windows 10 update from Windows 7 on one and 8.1 on the other.
I wish there was something like a "set all the messy settings back to default" thing you could run on both.
Old 18-01-2016, 21:15   #5
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,689 Times in 569 Posts
Are the users the same on both? Same password? If you've a device called 'Bob' and a user called 'Sally', it helps if the second device 'Dave' also has a user called 'Sally' (same password, etc) and are both the same level (user or admin).
Are both devices on DHCP, or both static ? In ye olde days, it also helped putting the computer names and IPs in the hosts file (on both machines).
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 21:36   #6
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
Are the users the same on both? Same password? If you've a device called 'Bob' and a user called 'Sally', it helps if the second device 'Dave' also has a user called 'Sally' (same password, etc) and are both the same level (user or admin).
Are both devices on DHCP, or both static ? In ye olde days, it also helped putting the computer names and IPs in the hosts file (on both machines).
Yes, they are NOW, under Windows 10 both on the same login username/password.

Part of me feels some of this is due to some inner settings from the past, mixed with new Windows 10 settings.

So far, since 6pm ish, it's behaved itself.
The other PC went to sleep, so naturally network wasn't there as such, but logged the PC back on and I got access again.

I did even restart both PC's and the both were playing game.

Will see what happens tomorrow after they've had a nights sleep

I still have a feeling my main PC (let's call this PC#1) is a little slow and reluctant at first in wanting to connect to PC#2

But after a little fiddling with settings I'll see what tomorrow brings.

As it's soooo easy to get into a total and utter mess with network settings, usernames/permissions, adaptor settings, tons of it.

I still wish there was a "Put back to default settings! on it.
Even with Windows 10 it's keeping hold of past stuff, and I'm not doing totally clean installs on both machines just to fix a little delay.
Old 18-01-2016, 21:41   #7
Tempest
Trusted User

LOL...

Spoke too soon.
Been accessing PC#2 from PC#1 fine for the past couple of hours

Went to PC#2, clicked on the computer name of PC#1 and it instantly pops up the error box saying:

"Network Path Cannot Be Found"

I just leave this on screen for a about 30 seconds (swearing to myself) whilst the green search bar goes from left to right at the top of the file manager window.
Let the green bar go to about 3/4 the way.

I closed the error box, tried again, and instantly found it all and working fine.

This was what was happening the other way round last night.

Weird
Old 18-01-2016, 22:03   #8
ian turner
Trusted User

i assume you've run sfc /scannow from a cmd box run with admin privileges on the pc that keeps forgetting the other ?
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (18-01-2016)
Old 18-01-2016, 22:21   #9
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian turner View Post
i assume you've run sfc /scannow from a cmd box run with admin privileges on the pc that keeps forgetting the other ?
Thanks for the advice. Running that on both PC's right now

===== EDIT=====

Ran it on both machines, and did not find anything wrong.

I know now we have the "homegroup" thing alongside normal networking (still not 100% sure on the why's/wherefores of this) but anyway....

Initially had an error saying I needed to have ivp6 (or something like that) which Windows could not troubleshoot a fix for, so went to my network adaptor properties and this was not ticked so I ticked that.

On PC#1 could not get anywhere, but on PC#2 it allowed me to create it, and gave me a new password.
Went back tp PC#1 with new password at the ready, but just then worked without needed a password.
errr, ok, well that's fine and working both directions.

So that's ok.

Turned off both PC's (but still on at the mains) fired up both PC's and network is all working now.
Few moments delay upon very 1st opening, but nothing to complain about.

So. Thanks to everyone. I'm stabbing int he dark a bit, but as of NOW it's all working
See what a cold start tomorrow brings

Last edited by Tempest; 18-01-2016 at 22:57.
Old 18-01-2016, 23:32   #10
cjay
Trusted User

I had a similar thing. Server wouldn't show up on my network occasionally. I tried everything. Well pretty much everything except for one thing I perhaps should have done right away. Pull the power to my network hub. Plugged it back in and it sees it straight away. Very odd.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 05:38   #11
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Is the NIC on your machines going to sleep on you or the drive associated with that box? Both might account for the pause whilst the other machine wakes up. Check the settings for the network adapter card under Device Manager then [Power Management] tab.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 07:54   #12
Tempest
Trusted User

This is the type of thing that makes me want a mac

Networking has never been my thing. Mainly I feel it's because at home it's the type of thing you may set up once then not touch for a few years, perhaps a new PC or a new Windows version and by then so much has happened with various settings, plus it's been x years since you last touched it, anything you did know is a distant memory
Old 19-01-2016, 10:06   #13
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,689 Times in 569 Posts
If you get a 'network path not found', then drop to a DOS prompt, and type 'ping nameOfPC2' (sans quotes). type 'ping 192.168.x.y' which would be the IP of pc2.

IPv6 isn't required (as a necessity) as IPv4 is available.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (19-01-2016)
Old 19-01-2016, 10:16   #14
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
If you get a 'network path not found', then drop to a DOS prompt, and type 'ping nameOfPC2' (sans quotes). type 'ping 192.168.x.y' which would be the IP of pc2.

IPv6 isn't required (as a necessity) as IPv4 is available.
Thanks for that hint, will try that if I have problems tonight (my cold start test)

The new(ish) windows homegroup thing said it needed IPv6 in order to work (did not even know it was on or off till I looked after that error/info message)

It is a little strange. As I said, in the past, it was both machine running, and PC2 would find PC1 instantly.

but PC1 errored, but if you ignored the error and left that green (search bar?) climbing from left to right at the top of the file manager.

(and I have no idea what it's searching for, - it also gets slower and slower and slower the more the the right the green bar goes)

If you just let that get to almost fully to the right (before getting bored at how slow it was by then) and tried the network again, it often would suddenly work fine.

If you canceled the error box and did not let the green search bar climb to the right much, it would not find the network and simply keep erroring.

Odd.
Old 19-01-2016, 20:45   #15
Tempest
Trusted User

Ok, well, not really sure what I've done, other than turn on IPv6 and clicked a couple of settings which I don't think had much to do with anything, AND got the homegroup working between them, but fired up PC#2 for about 10 mins, then fired up PC#1 let it settle and tried to access PC#2 from PC#1.
Other than perhaps a 3 to 4 second wait when I clicked the Network icon in file manager, it all just then displayed the shared folders fine.

Fingers crossed it's happy now, though not 100% sure why.

Tomorrow I'll try the other way and fire up the PC's in the other order.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their suggestions
Old 20-01-2016, 16:52   #16
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I tend to use fixed/ reserved IP addresses. Makes life a little easier for Windows to find things then.
Tempest (20-01-2016)
Old 20-01-2016, 21:35   #17
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I tend to use fixed/ reserved IP addresses. Makes life a little easier for Windows to find things then.
Thanks.

That brought back memories you saying that.
I recall doing that when I used to set up PC's playing Doom 2, BEFORE broadband on a dial up connection

Happy days.....