Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Old 10-02-2016, 14:02   #121
callmecheez
Trusted User

Is it the 16gb or 500gb model? I have the 16gb and it's definitely silent. I am really fussy about high pitch or irritating noises / fan sounds from my AV equipment and my Shield TV has been silent.

I have both Shield and Amazon Fire TV (not the stick), both are good for Kodi - except the Shield is better at 'matching refresh rate to the frame rate' - so 24p content outputs better (in my experience)
Old 10-02-2016, 14:53   #122
dunkle
Trusted User

16gb

It's definitely a frequency thing
Wife could not hear it and I've heard it on other peoples units who swear blind it's silent
Very strange
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 14:56   #123
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I found a resolution to my wanting to have network accessible folders on my Shield TV in case anyone needs this.

I installed Ultimate Servers which has lots of server options including an SMB server. It's worked a treat and easily let me set up a network share, join the Windows workgroup, create users to access and now allows me to access the micro SD card on the Shield.

The free version just has a seven day trial and the full version (Ultimate Servers Pro) costs $9, but I'm happy paying that as it gives me a feature I really wanted. I find it much easier being able to move data on my Shield TV from my laptop and this lets me do that.

Servers Ultimate on Google Play
Servers Ultimate Pro on Google Play
Thanked once by:
GalaxyBlue (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 15:23   #124
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

If I put my ear directly onto the back of the Nvidia I think I can hear what Duncan means. I can hear a really faint winey type noise.

As soon as I take my ear away I can't hear it, but my hearing isn't brilliant.

It's a shame Duncan, as it's a great little box.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 15:33   #125
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBlue View Post
If I put my ear directly onto the back of the Nvidia I think I can hear what Duncan means. I can hear a really faint winey type noise.

As soon as I take my ear away I can't hear it, but my hearing isn't brilliant.

It's a shame Duncan, as it's a great little box.
On all units I have had I can hear it, actually it's more like sensing it
Sounds weird I know but it really is like there is a bee or something flying just over my head

It is a shame as was great unit
Mind it was probably overkill just for Kodi
Old 10-02-2016, 16:26   #126
LouBarlow
Retired Member

You've probably got the same thing I have - good hearing. I'm the same with those cat-scaring things that operate at frequencies humans aren't supposed to hear. They drive me nuts. Shame the rest of my body is falling apart, but my ears are tip top!
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
dunkle (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 18:51   #127
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I can hear those damn things too. I can hear a very slight noise from the shield when everything else is off and my head is next to it, but even then its hardly anything and other than that its extremely quiet. Way Quieter than my PVR and nothing like my PS4.
Old 10-02-2016, 19:59   #128
alanmcg21
Trusted User

Last edited by alanmcg21; 13-02-2016 at 19:51. Reason: .
alanmcg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 16:18   #129
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I got my Harmony remote working well with the Shield and Kodi. It took a bit of faffing and I had to use the MCE remote I used with Kodi on my old Revo for it to 'learn' some of the buttons and the Keymap Editor to change some of those, but now I have a subtitles toggle, context menu, select and all the other options working on the Harmony.

Now I know it works I can upgrade it to a newer model. This one is ancient and some of the buttons need a lot of force to press them!
Old 16-02-2016, 08:51   #130
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

.... crap. Or at least it did until I installed the TB Build Kodi addon thinking it was just another repo. I hadn't realised it does a clean install of a modified Kodi build with all illegal streaming stuff. I just wanted ITV player on it! Gah! Back to reinstalling the official Kodi and re-configuring it all now!
Old 16-02-2016, 15:57   #131
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
.... crap. Or at least it did until I installed the TB Build Kodi addon thinking it was just another repo. I hadn't realised it does a clean install of a modified Kodi build with all illegal streaming stuff. I just wanted ITV player on it! Gah! Back to reinstalling the official Kodi and re-configuring it all now!
That's interesting...so android kodi must have different remote codes, than whatever dodgy version you installed?

I haven't even bothered adding other Repo's I've no clue what they do. Can anyone recommend any decent plugins for Kodi that are useful?

When I had xbmc installed as my dash on my original xbox, I remember being able to use emulators there. Is this still an option in kodi? Or best to install from marketplace?
Old 16-02-2016, 16:08   #132
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Repos basically give you a link to a group of apps, etc in that repo. I've tried a few and there are loads of stuff out there, things like video streaming apps, photo apps, music apps, some legal but others not.

Usually when you add a repo you can then browse it and install the apps, etc you want (such as BBC iplayer, ITV player, the dodgy ones like sports and movies, etc), but the TB Build one is different as it downloads a customised Kodi with all the repos already in there, so you get all the UK TV channels (in Sky, sports, BT, movies), etc, plus loads of other streaming apps. Great if you want that, but I already have all the footie I need and I don't have a decent enough connection to maintain a high quality stream.

I didn't expect it to wipe Kodi clean and get it as a fresh install just with all that stuff in it!

I guess that's the sort of thing Kodi are now trying to clamp down on, or at least traders selling boxes with things like the TB Build already on it (and looking on the TB Build Facebook page they're trying to discourage people making money from it).

I think you can get emulators for it, but I've not tried myself. I find that retro gaming is best left with the rose tinted hue of my ageing memory as when I have played a retro game I've realised how basic they once were (and difficult!) and got bored very quickly!
Old 17-02-2016, 15:29   #133
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Anyone know of a place to safely download apk files for the Shield TV? Just for things like All 4, ITV player, UK TV Player (the Dave, etc one), etc? I think because I changed my Google account to a US one it won't let me download those apps to it.

I had to install BBC Iplayer from an apk as well.
Old 17-02-2016, 21:33   #134
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Anyone know of a place to safely download apk files for the Shield TV? Just for things like All 4, ITV player, UK TV Player (the Dave, etc one), etc? I think because I changed my Google account to a US one it won't let me download those apps to it.

I never even knew those apps where available when I had my shield
Think i only had iplayer
Old 18-02-2016, 09:39   #135
H Dot
Trusted User

Quote:

For ITV Player have you tried this APK?
http://xunitytalk-repo.googlecode.co....itv-2.2.1.zip
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:49   #136
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

I've just switched my shield on and the Marshmallow update was available so I've installed it.

Can't really see any difference to be honest.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 20:41   #137
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBlue View Post
I've just switched my shield on and the Marshmallow update was available so I've installed it.

Can't really see any difference to be honest.
Thanks. Just updated mine.

Quote:
What's New?

Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade

There's more to love about NVIDIA® SHIELD™ Android TV with Android 6.0 'Marshmallow'.

Enjoy a new background for your home screen, plus a redesigned Google Play Store.

Customize the recommendations row or re-order your app and game tiles. Go to Settings > Preferences > Home screen.

Turn your SD card or external USB storage into encrypted internal storage for your apps and games.

Set up a new SHIELD without any typing. Just say "OK Google, set up my device" from your phone and your Google account and Wi-Fi password will be automatically transferred to your TV.

New SHIELD Features

Access the power menu on the home screen by holding the Back button.

Seamlessly switch between surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app.

Added wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search.

Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video playback.

Option to set 1080p 60Hz resolution on Ultra HD TVs.

Option to set RGB Full Range. Go to Settings > HDMI > Dynamic Range.

Improved support for Denon receivers.

CEC volume control for more audio receivers.

Supports the new Vulkan™ API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware.
Optimizations for New Apps and Games
Old 23-02-2016, 06:06   #138
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, just done mine too. I have a load of photos on a micro SD card for the Kodi screensaver, and had to repoint to that as it had changed how it accesses it (even though I've left it as a normal ejectable card and not a system disk).

Quote:
Access the power menu on the home screen by holding the Back button
That's useful, a small addition but welcomed.

Kodi 16 is available as an update in the store now.

Could someone with a UK Play account tell me what video apps you are recommended in the Play store. I'm wondering if I'm not offered UK ones because I'm using a US account. Wondering if it's worth me setting up a UK one to pick up UK recommendations.
Old 23-02-2016, 09:34   #139
Deron

Quote:
Yeah, just done mine too. I have a load of photos on a micro SD card for the Kodi screensaver, and had to repoint to that as it had changed how it accesses it (even though I've left it as a normal ejectable card and not a system disk).

That's useful, a small addition but welcomed.

Kodi 16 is available as an update in the store now.

Could someone with a UK Play account tell me what video apps you are recommended in the Play store. I'm wondering if I'm not offered UK ones because I'm using a US account. Wondering if it's worth me setting up a UK one to pick up UK recommendations.
Cinetrailer, daily motion, spbtv, ted TV, haystack TV, TV it, mubi, international news, Blomberg TV

The HDMI cec update for receiver volume is great
Old 23-02-2016, 09:41   #140
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Thanks. It's a bit of a crap line up isn't it. Google really need to get apps out for the UK market, Apple did it quickly enough