Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Old 11-01-2016, 11:17   #101
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

I didn't actually know it had a fan.

It was on pretty much all day every day over xmas. Only gaming that has been done so far is Crossy Road.
Old 11-01-2016, 13:30   #102
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Apparently it does have a fan;
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tv-review.html

Mine will finally be arriving in a week when my folks come to visit and I'm hoping it's whisper quiet, at least for video and Kodi anyway. Looking to replace my ageing but trusty Acer Revo R3700 with it as our media player.
Old 11-01-2016, 14:00   #103
dunkle
Trusted User

On or Off there is a low but noticeable "buzz" - it very much does sound like a wasp / bee / fly is somewhere in room and only when you get next to unit you can detect exactly where coming from, but it can be heard from other side of room and is a right pain at night when trying sleep

Amazon been good and agreed refund
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 13:14   #104
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Well I finally have my Shield TV arrived with my folks. It's very slim and slinky! I've not set it up properly yet, but with it on and testing it doesn't make a sound. Hopefully it stays like that!

They all leave tomorrow so I'll start to get it all set up then. So what apps are worth installing? I see there's a BBC iPlayer one "for people in the UK". Is there anywhere that lists all apps available? I can't seem to find one in the Google Play store and most of the stuff I've searched for seems to be the mobile apps.

And any decent sites to look through to get the best out of it?

Ta!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:43   #105
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Just working my way through getting this all set up,. It's pretty nippy isn't it, Kodi is super fast!

I have a few questions, if anyone can help.

The default install of Kodi is 15 via the Play store, but it seems that I need to install the 16 beta to get the remote to show the context menu by holding down the select button. What's the easiest guide to installing apps manually on these?

Also, what are the benefits of rooting the device? Does it allow for more apps to be installed, or is it mainly to give full file access?

What I want to do is be able to see the SD card in the device on my home network so I can copy over photos to it for the Kodi slideshow screensaver. With OpenElec it was easy, but Kodi on Android doesn't show up in network places. How do I give access for other devices to access specified folders? Does that need root access?

A question on the Chromecast thing. When Kodi goes to sleep the Chromecast slideshow kicks in. Although the photos from Google it shows are pretty awesome, I want it to show our own photos, similar to how Kodi's screensaver does. Is that possible? Can it grab them from a local network share, or do I need to use Google Photos for that?

Think that's it for now. There's so much info out there that it's all a little overwhelming (I currently have 37 tabs open in my browser!) and if anyone can save me some time and headscratching that would be great!

I also need to work out how to get the remote to control the Sonos playbar volume but disable the Shield volume if possible, but that's later!

Last edited by Stevie G; 03-02-2016 at 12:49.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:22   #106
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

What is it with all these slinky but too limited remotes?

The Shield one has no mute or pause/play buttons, the Amazon Fire Stick one has no volume buttons and the Apple TV one has no mute button.

Surely they are the most basic but most needed and used of all buttons?

Old 04-02-2016, 12:44   #107
Deron

Its a double tap for me to pause in kodi.

I usually start a movie tap and make sure its over the pause, then backup. Volume swipe is a bit finicky, but its quick enough.

You can use other remotes I believe.

Or I use my phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=org.xbmc.kore
Old 04-02-2016, 13:30   #108
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

So you mean it's click one to bring up the control bar and the second click to pause it? And then select > back arrow to play and hide the control bar?

I've tried my phone in the past but they're a bit faffy compared to a remote.

I have an old Harmony 525 I've not used for years, I'm having a look at that to see if that can easily be configured for it, but I stopped using it because it's a bit laggy. A second delay on each button press it irritating.

Does anyone know if the newer Harmony remotes are more responsive? Even the cheaper ones without the screen (never really found the need for the screen on mine really).
Old 04-02-2016, 14:31   #109
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
So you mean it's click one to bring up the control bar and the second click to pause it? And then select > back arrow to play and hide the control bar?
Yeah, that's what I do...
Old 04-02-2016, 15:08   #110
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah ok.

Not having much joy with the Harmony. What's frustrating is that I have been able to pair a Fire Stick remote to the Nvidia, and that remote has the context menu/info button option that the Shield one doesn't as well as the play/pause, FW and RW, but I can't get the Harmony to 'learn' from either of them because they're bluetooth and the Harmony is IR! Gah!

The other button I'm missing is a subtitles one. I have my old MCE remote for Kodi mapped so one of the buttons toggles subs on and off. i know it's only a few presses to get to it from the control bar, but we watch a lot of US stuff and often end up flicking subs on and off (because they often talk funny...!)

Last edited by Stevie G; 04-02-2016 at 15:11.
Old 04-02-2016, 15:52   #111
Deron

You been to the shield forums?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...ld-android-tv/
Old 04-02-2016, 16:25   #112
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, I've been looking at that thread but my old remote seems to be different. When I select to create an activity called "Watch a movie" it tells me that none of my devices can play a videotape.....!

Having a quick scan through the thread it looks like a lot of people are struggling. Some seem to be using a Flirc adapter to customise them, but that doesn't look perfect either.

I'll try to have a proper look through it later.
Old 04-02-2016, 16:28   #113
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Yeah, I've been looking at that thread but my old remote seems to be different. When I select to create an activity called "Watch a movie" it tells me that none of my devices can play a videotape.....!

Having a quick scan through the thread it looks like a lot of people are struggling. Some seem to be using a Flirc adapter to customise them, but that doesn't look perfect either.

I'll try to have a proper look through it later.
If you contact logitech support they can actually add functionality to an old Harmony.

They were able to update my old Harmony 525 with a hex code so I could send a service code to my plasma and access the service menu.
Old 04-02-2016, 19:48   #114
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, thanks, I'll try that.

I've been flitting between the Shield and Fire remotes tonight. The Fire's has better controls with the play/pause and info button, but the Shield's one feels so much nicer, very high quality.

Any idea of the easiest way to access folders on the Shield? I was hoping to be able to access it's folders via my laptop, or at least FTP. I'm guessing that's what I need to root it for?

Also, any idea how to stop the Chromecast screensaver from taking over when something in Kodi is paused?

Last edited by Stevie G; 04-02-2016 at 19:51.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29   #115
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Has anyone else rooted their Shield TV yet?

I'm trying to do mine, but I can't get it to install the shield family drivers on my Windows 10 laptop. Can you not do it with Windows 10?

I've decided I want to root it because I'm really limited on access to folders, etc when I try to access using ESExplorer or FTP in from my laptop.

Worked out how to sideload anyway, that was easy enough, and got the Last.fm scrobbler sideloaded for Google Music.

Impressed with the BBC Iplayer app too. Way more responsive than my Smart TV's app and I could never get it working without constant buffering from the Kodi add-on on my Revo.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:40   #116
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, s'ok. All rooted. It seems my Asus laptop didn't like the drivers, worked fine on my Windows 10 desktop.

Ah, nice, now I can create folders, etc with the file explorer.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:45   #117
dunkle
Trusted User

Help - Alternative to Shield Wanted

I have had 3 now and finally got a refund on them (Amazon CS are brilliant)

Anyway, reason for returns is that from each unit I can here a small wine sound, originally I thought it was a wasp / bee in the room. I just could not place the sound but it was there. As it was in bedroom it was even more noticeable when trying to sleep, but I could hear the noise over TV at normal levels

The wife could not hear it at all however, but it was there so I have returned the unit

Anyway, I only wanted it as a KODI box, and for that it was great, so what are the alternatives
Id like something almost as quick
Cheap to run and that can do X265 (something which PI2 cants do)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:49   #118

Maybe one of the current gen Celeron/Pentium NUCs running OpenELEC? I can run my last gen one with the fan off so with an SSD inside it's silent. Apparently they can do x265 decoding (my Celeron N2820 one can't).

Only thing to be aware of is that when running OpenELEC they can't play Netflix, etc.
Thanked once by:
dunkle (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:49   #119
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I think you'll struggle with cheap that can do x265. The Amazon Fire may your best best (not the stick one though) as that can do Netflix 4K I believe. You'd need to check that Kodi on it can play x265 though.

It's a shame you've had a string of duds. I'm really impressed with mine and can't hear a peep from it (so far, and hope it stays that way!)

Have you been going for the 500GB or the 16GB? I have the latter as I don't need the 500GB (as I have all my media on a NAS), and I've just chucked in a large micro SD for the photo screensaver. I have read of issues with the 500GB one.
Thanked once by:
dunkle (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 12:03   #120
dunkle
Trusted User

I don't think they are dud. I think it's how sensitive my hearing is. It's like I can hear those things they but by shops to stop kids hanging round.