Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 03-06-2015, 14:06   #161
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
There is no YouTube app because Google doesn't want to make one they have 0 interest in talking users out of chrome. All the third party apps stopped working due to a recent api change at the Google back-end, note this affected older iOS devices and smart tv was well.

Microsoft is leading the charge now for apps and now have some very interesting ones in development. Traditional desktop apps are not really touch friendly and all of MS own apps are the new modern style. This is what they will be pushing one app that works across phone, tablet and desktop. You are right mostly most of these apps have looked very shoddy but there area done that look lovely. MS own music, photo and one clip apps look really nice.
My query really is this:

If Msoft make a tablet that can only run Metro type apps, then there is a NEED for those apps. (we can debate how big that need is)

Stopping such tablets from existing, and now making only Tablets than can run the full Windows 10, is of course great, but, is does vastly weaken the whole reason for needing touch friendly Metro style touch apps even further.

If your device can happily run full windows and full web browser, with your Tesco, YouTube, Cahoot, etc etc web front end, there is even less of a reason for those companies to bother making Metro apps.

I would love this to be the case, but I cannot help but feeling Msoft is, itself killing it's own app store, with it's hardware choices.

Myself I have a windows 10" tablet, and would also like a Windows Phone, but, right now, I may as well load the desktop up on my tablets (other than the metro web browser) and use the web sites, as there are so few metro versions.
And, as I say, if anything, the future seems worse for metro not better.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 14:11   #162
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Two things there, you are talking websites not apps. And tablets 7" and under will ruin the mobile version of the os not full Windows.

Not every app has a website equivalent. The browser on a 10" Android tablet pretty much let's you look at any site you want but it doesn't stop developers from making apps.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 14:17   #163
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Two things there, you are talking websites not apps. And tablets 7" and under will ruin the mobile version of the os not full Windows.

Not every app has a website equivalent. The browser on a 10" Android tablet pretty much let's you look at any site you want but it doesn't stop developers from making apps.
All I hope is that Windows 10, gives some incentive, or at least perhaps makes it easier for devs to create Tablet/Metro/Phone type apps, as you say, it's when you really need those type of apps for the smaller screen.

I've been down the iOS path (nice but really don't want to go there again) Android is superb I know, but again, not a path I wish to really start on.

I'm so hoping Windows 10 can spur devs to at least make the Big Name core apps available to Windows mobile type users.

I must admit, given Msofts push, I'm surprise the (what I call) Big Name apps are still so lacking.

Fingers crossed this will gradually start to change.
Old 03-06-2015, 14:20   #164
zantarous

Sounds like you haven't kept up to date with what is going on with win 10. I will post some videos later that will give you an overview. They really are trying and if they fail this time I fear it could be over for there mobile dream.

It is a chicken and egg scenario, not enough users to justify app development, not enough apps to buy in to the ecosystem
Thanked once by:
Tempest (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 14:30   #165
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't kept up to date with what is going on with win 10. I will post some videos later that will give you an overview. They really are trying and if they fail this time I fear it could be over for there mobile dream.

It is a chicken and egg scenario, not enough users to justify app development, not enough apps to buy in to the ecosystem
Yes please do.

TBH, with the dropping of RT, I sort of felt it was already over.

if you are a BIG name in any device type and make a product that can only run/use one kind of format, then it HAS to have media to live.

As soon as you make that device able to use the more default media then you have in effect admitted defeat.

Much like making an electric only car, finding not many electric charging stations have been made, then a year or two later, adapting it to use petrol also, you have in effect killed the electric side of it, now no-one really has any reason to bother making electric charging stations as your car now runs on petrol.

Mfort have done this with Kinnect.

In order for something to be used it had to de defacto standard, everyone has.
They tried this and backed down, so now it's screwed yet again.
what they should of done is build kinect into the the actual console, and not able to be removed, then all devs would know every single uses has it and would code for it.

Seems company, no matter hoe big and how clever never seem to grasp this simple concept.

Right now, and I do so wish I'm wrong, given Surface 3, the dropping of RT, and cheap full Window 8, and forthcoming 10 tablets, I can only see less and less of a reason for anyone to make touch/metro/tile apps of web page front ends.

Last edited by Tempest; 03-06-2015 at 15:43.
Old 03-06-2015, 16:14   #166
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
One thing to note is that developers might not want to go from developing for the desktop, where they get all of the proceeds, to developing for Metro where MS take a cut. That's the only option on Android and Apple so there's no choice. But to develop a Metro app, they are basically volunteering to give MS part of their profits.

It's perhaps different if you have an existing app on Google/Apple you can easily port for a bigger market. But you'd need your head examined to set out to develop for it.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 16:50   #167
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
One thing to note is that developers might not want to go from developing for the desktop, where they get all of the proceeds, to developing for Metro where MS take a cut. That's the only option on Android and Apple so there's no choice. But to develop a Metro app, they are basically volunteering to give MS part of their profits.

It's perhaps different if you have an existing app on Google/Apple you can easily port for a bigger market. But you'd need your head examined to set out to develop for it.
Indeed, and, I can only feel that Msoft have in effect dug their own Metro Grave here.

Apple says, here is an iPhone and an iPad, it both devices will only run iOS apps, so if you wish your product to be popular and be on our hardware, then you have to develop for iOS of you are a no body.

Google Makes Android, which runs on Android mobile devices.
Again, That's all the devices run, loads of phones and tablets, and even more phones, all, only running Android.
If you want to have any market presence as a company, you have to write for Android.

Microsoft, kinda says, here is some hardware, it runs Windows and a new Tile interface also, it might be nice if you would think about making a metro tile/touch app, but if you don't, well, not too much of a worry as the devices will run your windows/web versions anyway, but please, be nice if you did.

To be honest, I know there were always going to have a dam hard time here.
They either needed to go Windows full on, no question from day one.
Or Metro, that's all they will run, super high end hardware (which they never did either) and if you want your apps to run on the best hardware in the world, you have to write for metro.

What we got was mediocre hardware, and a pretty please can you write some apps for it.

Pretty doomed, esp as you were 3rd to the scene.

Again, it would be nice to think in a few years time Windows 10 and tile apps for phones and tablets will grow more and more.
It will mean Apple and Android people deciding to make the switch.

Right now, I struggle to see this happen.
As I say, I want a Windows phone soon, even though I know, it's the worst when it comes to software, so part of me thinks I'm just plain stupid for wanting one.

The only single reason is because I just want to basics, and I like the idea of all 3 devices, PC's, Tablet and Phone all being on the same system, so to speak. It's just easier and cleaner I feel.

It is hard though to buy something you know is the worst supported
Old 03-06-2015, 17:45   #168
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,007 Times in 436 Posts
So using the script target linked to and some messing around in the registry I managed to get to this screen:

I have an i5 4670k, does anyone know why this wouldn't be supported?
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 18:09   #169
zantarous

I can't believe it can't be, I have a 8 year old Core duo quad core and it works fine on that.
Old 03-06-2015, 18:17   #170
Tempest
Trusted User

Eeeek.

If that was/is correct then my Intel Q6700 is sounding a bit risky!
Old 03-06-2015, 18:17   #171
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Strange only issue I had was on my HP Laptop as there was no driver for the finger print reader I don't use. Edit hmm just checked it's the drive protection sub system.

Last edited by dataloss; 04-06-2015 at 16:38.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 18:31   #172
Wooglie
Rurouni

Yeah I assume there's something wrong with the program or the way it detects my CPU. Just out of curiosity if someone who has got the notification and doesn't mind messing around in the registry could let me know what they have in the following key:
PHP Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators\Proc 
Assuming that stands for Processor mine currently has "Other" in it.
Old 03-06-2015, 18:45   #173

My i5 3570k says "other" too and it seems to be compatible. I'm sure your's is fine, just some glitch.
Old 03-06-2015, 19:16   #174
mjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
It is hard though to buy something you know is the worst supported
It's chicken and egg though. If Microsoft can pull off running apps on everything from phone to PC that adapt to the device they're on, that will be very compelling. Even apart from that many companies are very short sighted when they don't product an app for Windows Phone. They see that Windows Phone might be (say) 5% of their userbase and aren't interested. But if that 5% is 1,000,000 users then it's likely worth doing regardless - but when people are obsessed with percentages they don't see this. Also note that Google seem to have been outright obstructive with regard to things like YouTube on Windows Phone. Microsoft wrote a great app for it, Google forced them to pull it IIRC. It was a couple of years ago, and they said any new apps had to be HTML5 only internally, which at the time was difficult for MS for a few reasons. Of course they didn't make other app authors update to a new API so they effectively locked MS out alone.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 20:20   #175
Tempest
Trusted User

Indeed, and I genuinely hope that the whole Windows 10 Launch and what they are talking about multiple system wide compatibility with minimal effort.

(though I suspect the "speak" perhaps is easier than the coding reality)

Due to hardware specs and physical size and input methods if nothing else.....
I hope this all does take off. Windows 10 gets major support, The new Surface models tick box's for those fed up with iPad limitations, and think hey I want a new laptop, may as well get a surface

(though they (The official surface models) are still over priced in comparison with laptops)

I hope this all comes through in reality, perhaps give it 12 or 24 months to slow burn it's way through.

I suppose, part of the reason why I am a shade disappointed is that Microsoft "IS" the software company of software companies.

I guess I almost expect them to either write, Offer to write, or fully back the writing of all the major apps for their app store to get it off the ground.

All the YouTubes, Twitters, Facebook, Skype (that's theirs anyway)
You get my drift..... All the big guns should be there.

Its a shame Google have been difficult

If it was Apple, then I'd understand, awkward is deep in their nature, but Google tends to want anything they make on every platform to get revenue and stats.

It's been a rough ride for Msoft, and they got it wrong a few times, (Steve Balmer?)
Now, the general feeling seems to be, they are hitting the right notes with almost everyone, and seems most people are feeling a fresh wave of positivity coming form them.
No longer the slow lumbering evil company (we have Apple for that now!)
But now someone with young fresh faces that are wanting to push new things along for a new fresh start and get it all working together.

I am hopeful, but I know this is not going to be an easy overnight win.
Old 03-06-2015, 20:31   #176

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ws-10-upgrade/

Fresh installs of Windows 10 from an iso will be possible
Old 03-06-2015, 21:37   #177
Wooglie
Rurouni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
All the YouTubes, Twitters, Facebook, Skype (that's theirs anyway)
They couldn't even get skype right on windows 8 though. The metro app had less features than the desktop one IIRC.
Old 03-06-2015, 22:22   #178
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
They couldn't even get skype right on windows 8 though. The metro app had less features than the desktop one IIRC.
I will admit, it does make you wonder.
Then again, I do often wonder about some apparently dumb things done with Software and Hardware.
It's like they need a "May I state the blindly obvious issue with doing this" person employed and who sits on their design meetings to point things out

I know I have said this before (and this is not the place) but when you have a great product, be it software or hardware, and you screw it all up, over 1 easily corrected if only you'd thought about it more, issue.

Anyway........................

Regards the Windows 10 fresh installs, this bodes a question, which I suppose it actually relevant to even current Windows installs and licences.

Take my situation. I have a legit Windows 7 home premium actual DVD with official serial code on one PC
I also have a purchased online legit Windows 8.1 Pro serial and a Disk/ISO that I would and did used to install it.

Now.........

I build a New PC, often I move some of the bits from my current best PC into my backup PC, and those bits in my backup PC are generally of no real interest or value any more.

But in effect this is two new PC's.

My main PC (same case, power supply and perhaps SSD / DVD etc, but new Mboard, CPU, Ram, GPU etc.

My backup PC gets the old Mboard, CPU, Perhaps a SSD, perhaps a GPU.

I still have two PC's only.
And I still have my Windows 7 home premium CD and my Windows 8.1 Code and iso/data.

So, by the time I do this upgrade (end of year/spring = Skylake) I will of had Windows 10 on both of them (my current PC's as they are now)

So, what the hell do I do when I do this double upgrade?

Do I presume the Windows 10 codes, I will no doubt be getting on the 29th July to go with each of my current machines, are both going to work on the double whammy upgrade in another 6 months time?

Do you have to "un-licence" your key online before you break your PC apart, so when you come to use the serial/key again it knows it's ok to be used again?
Old 03-06-2015, 22:44   #179
Tempest
Trusted User

Just found this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

Almost anything! post Jurassic period should be ok for Windows 10

That of course probably rules out my Works PC, which I believe has some semi fossilised aspects to it's design

Last edited by Tempest; 03-06-2015 at 22:45.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:10   #180

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...0-real-1295701

You can run it on one of these little things. A PC the size of a phone charger!