Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 03-06-2015, 09:07   #141
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I am sure an iso will be available fire those that want it. MS let the enthusiast community be such a big part of the testing phase that I simply can not imagine they would not allow a clean install. They did it for Win 7 to Win 8.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07   #142
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Thanks. Do you have a link to a good guide? Worth me creating one ASAP in case my laptop needs doing before I intend to upgrade.

Has there been any info on how the licensing will work? If I upgrade my laptop for free, but then in a years time I have a problem and need to reinstall, will I still be able to "re"-upgrade to 10? Are they giving people a new license when they upgrade that they need to remember? Or are MS keeping a record of 7/8/8.1 licenses that will always be eligible?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09   #143

All these reinstallation questions are going unanswered by MS right now
Old 03-06-2015, 09:12   #144
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

My update this morning to 10130 failed. Sat there 'copying files' at 3% for ages without moving. Eventually rebooted and it reactivated the previous version again.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:13   #145
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Target have you installed Windows 10 on your XPS? The latest build doesn't really seem to be very stable and I have been having a lot of issues with Spartan.

So tonight decided to install it on my desktop (8 year old quad core) and man Spartan really is a massive improvement over IE. So simple and light weight, although I did manage to make it crash trying to load Google Play Music.

But awesome cool moment number 1: As I have also installed Windows 10 Mobile on a Nokia and downloaded Word, Excel and PowerPoint those apps are available to me on my desktop. These are not the desktop versions these are the universal apps, can open documents from OneDrive and edit (despite it saying I need a office 365 account). I was just floored by the concept of the same app from two such different device.

MS have been banging on about universal apps for so long but to see it in action was just mind boggling.
When Tempest see's that,he's likely to explode or write War & Peace on it .

I'll get hold of my Free copy and see what its like on a test drive
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:16   #146
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
My update this morning to 10130 failed. Sat there 'copying files' at 3% for ages without moving. Eventually rebooted and it reactivated the previous version again.
I have had that happen in two of my machines, you basically just need to leave it for ages at 3%. My laptop took an hour to pass that stage and my desktop was stuck for almost half an hour.
Thanked once by:
Fatbloke (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36   #147
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Thanks. Do you have a link to a good guide? Worth me creating one ASAP in case my laptop needs doing before I intend to upgrade.
Microsofts downloader for the iso's was updated at some point to do it for you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-refresh-media
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39   #148
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Quote:
I have had that happen in two of my machines, you basically just need to leave it for ages at 3%. My laptop took an hour to pass that stage and my desktop was stuck for almost half an hour.
I hoped as much. I restarted the download process and left the laptop on whilst I've gone to work.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:46   #149
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Microsofts downloader for the iso's was updated at some point to do it for you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-refresh-media
Thanks. Does that work with a Win 8 (Pro) license? It didn't use to, have they changed it to allow the older licenses now?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03   #150
compa
Trusted User

Hi Guys after using this for a while can you give your opinion on this os is it worth the upgrade from 7 to 10 ?
compa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23   #151
target
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Thanks. Does that work with a Win 8 (Pro) license? It didn't use to, have they changed it to allow the older licenses now?
yeah I think they updated it with update 1 or something.

Quote:
If you're not running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you'll need to enter a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key.
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 11:19   #152
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,655 Times in 557 Posts
Without any physical media what happens if you change your PC and need to install it on that?

Surely they'll allow you to download something which will only work with your license for that specific copy?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:25   #153
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Without any physical media what happens if you change your PC and need to install it on that?

Surely they'll allow you to download something which will only work with your license for that specific copy?
I hope you are right.
Like many/most people, I shall naturally be using this downloader/upgrader on both my current PC's to bring them up to Windows 10 as soon as it's available.

However, I do plan on a new PC build (or you could call it, upgrade/replace my current main PC) sometime, with a SkyLake and GPU/Motherboard etc etc changeover. And naturally, then I would reinstall my Windows 8.1 licence I have.

Of course, then I would wish to install a squeaky fresh Windows 10 onto it.

So I have no idea how this is going to work.

Ideally, I have my burned Windows 10 DVD with my Windows 8.1 Pro Licence and it will all work.

Will that be the case? No idea?

It would be messy to have to install Windows 8.1 on a brand new build, and then do a Windows 10 write-over.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26   #154
LouBarlow
Retired Member

If they are letting people with pirate copies upgrade then I can't see them being that stringent.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:38   #155
target
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
If they are letting people with pirate copies upgrade then I can't see them being that stringent.
They're not anymore.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:51   #156
Tempest
Trusted User

I will admit to being confused, and i'm not sure even Msoft know what they want from the Apps Store, in regards, shall we call them tablet/metro apps.

It's obvious, and very very unfortunate than the Windows App/Metro store is lacking BIG time.

There is no a YouTube player that works now.
Banking apps for UK banks are basically non existent.
There are even gaping holes in BIG NAME items.

This makes me so sad.
Sure, I don't want 100 fart apps, and I don't need all the latest games and releases, but if nothing else, I wish Msoft would push money in, and make sure the main, solid, BIG Name things are there.
YouTube, being the most in your face obvious. I mean Come on..... Get with it, PLEASE !

However, is there actually any market now, give that Msoft has killed off RT ?

Windows tablets now, (great things) all run full windows, RT is dead, so you are but a tap away from the proper full windows desktop.

So do we need to bother with a Metro version of the Web based front end?

Metro TSB Banking App
Metro Teso Shopping App
Metro YouTube App

If all new Windows tablets are going to be full Windows 10 capable, then, where does this leave the metro style tablet front end?

I so so want this to work and be good, but it all seems so mixed up and is there any point to it?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:12   #157
zantarous

Modern apps are the future, you can even virtulise win32 apps to deploy via the store. They are more secure and don't install crap all over the registry. They are being built to be device aware, do on a phone you get one view, on a tablet a touch centric view, and in a desktop a more keyboard and mouse friendly view.

Plus phones will be able to run Android apps that don't require access to Google play services and if they do the code can be updated to replace those APIs with Microsoft ones. Ios apps will be a lot easier to port over, there are already games that are ports of the iOS version.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30   #158
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Both W7 and W8 were priced competively to get people to go geniune. I think W7 had a multiple licence price as well.

The only thing I can see reducing the amount of dodgy copies is one licence covers all PC's and its Ł25.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 13:38   #159
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Modern apps are the future, you can even virtulise win32 apps to deploy via the store. They are more secure and don't install crap all over the registry. They are being built to be device aware, do on a phone you get one view, on a tablet a touch centric view, and in a desktop a more keyboard and mouse friendly view.

Plus phones will be able to run Android apps that don't require access to Google play services and if they do the code can be updated to replace those APIs with Microsoft ones. Ios apps will be a lot easier to port over, there are already games that are ports of the iOS version.
It's a nice thought, but is this the reality?

Apps seem to lag behind the Web interface.

Given that All windows tablets now are FULL Windows tablets, and not RT Tablets, is there any reason whatsoever for anyone to build Windows (Metro) Apps any-more?

As I say, we don'r even have a working YouTube App on the Windows store.
I mean how basic and default an App can you want, than a working YouTube app?

This is the type of thing Msoft need to be helping/pushing forward with.

We don't need all the toy/joke apps, but what about the basics.

I really REALLY want to stick with Windows on Tablets and Phones, but it's dam hard to right now, as there seems to be no incentive for creation.

It would be so easy for me to go iOS or Android.
Old 03-06-2015, 13:50   #160
zantarous

There is no YouTube app because Google doesn't want to make one they have 0 interest in talking users out of chrome. All the third party apps stopped working due to a recent api change at the Google back-end, note this affected older iOS devices and smart tv was well.

Microsoft is leading the charge now for apps and now have some very interesting ones in development. Traditional desktop apps are not really touch friendly and all of MS own apps are the new modern style. This is what they will be pushing one app that works across phone, tablet and desktop. You are right mostly most of these apps have looked very shoddy but there area done that look lovely. MS own music, photo and one clip apps look really nice.