Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 22-06-2015, 13:52   #261
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooNaTiK View Post
It appears you may have been wrong! / they were lying!

Source

LooN
no not really. Basically they want people to sign up to continue constantly rolled out beta/alpha/preview releases of software:
https://insider.windows.com/Home/TermsOfUse
The salient part being

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The Program Services include experimental and early prerelease software. This means that you may experience occasional crashes and data loss. To recover, you may have to reinstall your applications, the operating system, or re-flash your device. In some instances, once you install the Program Services software, you may not be able to go back to the prior version of the software. Additionally, the Program Services, if installed on a mobile device, may inadvertently damage your device rendering it inoperable. Using the Program Services on some devices may impact your warranty (check with your device provider). By participating, you agree to frequently backup your data.

The Program Services may:

· automatically collect and transmit data to Microsoft and its partners regarding activities on your devices, including personal information (see Privacy Statement for details http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=400912 and for Office apps included with the software see the Privacy Statement at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=507380 );

· not be stable or tested to the same level as commercially-released software;

· stop working, be updated, or removed from your device automatically without notice. The Program Services update automatically, for example, through Windows Update. Automatic updating cannot be turned off. Some features may be removed or may stop working after a predetermined time period or at the end of an evaluation cycle once enough data has been collected. Some third party applications installed on the device may also not work, may stop working, or may be automatically deleted by the Program Services; and

· change before commercial release or may never be commercially released.

The Insider version of windows has to run on the account you are using for the Insider program, so looks like local log ins may not work on it.

So basically if you are happy running continual forced beta with information, including personal stuff being sent back to MS, then that's fine. It's not really what I would call a free upgrade in that sense of the word, it's just a continued previewed scheme.

Last edited by bumfrog; 22-06-2015 at 13:54.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 13:54   #262
LooNaTiK
Aaarrrrggghhhh!

i see what you mean, but as long as i dont have to re-install Windows...!

LooN
LooNaTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 13:56   #263
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooNaTiK View Post
i see what you mean, but as long as i dont have to re-install Windows...!

LooN
Old 22-06-2015, 15:57   #264
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Microsoft should follow the Chrome OS/Linux Rolling Release model and have a Stable Branch, Beta Branch and Development Branch. (I use the Beta branch on my Chromebook as bug fixes get done weekly)
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 20:59   #265
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,343 Times in 674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataloss View Post
Microsoft should follow the Chrome OS/Linux Rolling Release model and have a Stable Branch, Beta Branch and Development Branch. (I use the Beta branch on my Chromebook as bug fixes get done weekly)
They do. It's the Microsoft insider program and they've been running it for the last 6 months. They have a fast track and a slow track for OS builds. Select the fast track and you get a new build roughly every week, but it's more buggy and then the slower track has a good build which the community deems as reliable enough to run as a daily system. The option for which builds you get is on a drop down menu in Windows update. Easy as.

I've been using the slow track and have had very little problems with W10. You get a new one roughly once a month. The only problems I did have were to do with there not being a full Windows 10 Nvidia driver. This is now sorted.

I'm guessing they'll keep going once full Windows 10 comes out, can't see a reason why they wouldn't
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:35   #266
Jim989
GoldMember

Not had any upgrade notifications on both kids laptops. Each one is running Win 7 Pro upgrade editions purchased from Software4Students, so are definately genuine. The specs easily meet the recommended and the correct updates are installed. I've tried all sorts of methods to get it working but nothing at all. I even tried to run the gwx exe but it won't start up.

Very odd. Hopefully there will be an upgrade method to download which I can install to both once it's released.
Jim989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 13:09   #267
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

jim989 have a look here, see if it helps: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...?page=1&auth=1
Old 13-07-2015, 13:49   #268
Jim989
GoldMember

Yeah tried all that and a few other methods on their forums. I suspect the problem is that I've setup the laptops to have domain login, so all the accounts do not have Admin. Although I've also tried running their suggestions whilst logged in as an admin but still nothing.
Old 13-07-2015, 13:56   #269
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

maybe try taking it out of a domain then logging in as local admin to test.

Just thinking that if it's in a domain the upgrade check might rule it out thinking it's part of an enterprise roll out.

Just making stuff up here, so it may make no difference, but worth a try I guess...

edit: yep - if it's part of a domain you won't get the upgrade icon - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Last edited by bumfrog; 13-07-2015 at 14:01.
Old 13-07-2015, 14:04   #270
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

interesting bit for people asking about a fresh install - the answer is yes and no by the looks of things

Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?

No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).
Old 13-07-2015, 16:07   #271
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim989 View Post
Yeah tried all that and a few other methods on their forums. I suspect the problem is that I've setup the laptops to have domain login, so all the accounts do not have Admin. Although I've also tried running their suggestions whilst logged in as an admin but still nothing.
Tried this? http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to...f-its-missing/

Worked instantly on my VM. Then told me my CPU was unsupported. At least it will cause it to tell you *why* you haven't been offered the update!
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 16:42   #272
Jim989
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
edit: yep - if it's part of a domain you won't get the upgrade icon - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...4-45f4b7ed2fb9
I bet it's because they were too lazy to work out which were enterprise customers so shoved everyone in the same catagory. Oh well, it does say there will be a download option on release.
Old 13-07-2015, 18:19   #273
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,343 Times in 674 Posts
The domain will probably have it's own WSUS windows update servers.. that's what's stopping it from connecting to regular windows update. You can get it to revert to MS's servers by deleting the following registry key...

Quote:
Open the registry editor, by entering Regedit in the Start / Run box, and browse to: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
Locate the WindowsUpdate Key and delete it
Reboot the PC (may take 2 reboots)
Now you can manually update and configure Windows updates to automatically check for and install updates directly from the Microsoft Update site
http://blog.lan-tech.ca/2014/01/03/d...ged-computers/
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:26   #274
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
The domain will probably have it's own WSUS windows update servers..
nope, it's just that if a computer is part of domain, you won't get the reservation option. It says so in the link posted above - it's nothing to do with the update servers or anything like that.
Old 14-07-2015, 11:31   #275
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Windows Insider Builds halted and pulled until final RTM release.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...edium=facebook
Old 14-07-2015, 19:17   #276
Tempest
Trusted User

Tons of Windows Updates today, just 2 weeks before Windows 10
Wonder if the two are connected, or they are just sweeping everything out before the GIANT update
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:28   #277
mjr
Trusted User

It's patch Tuesday, so most are security updates. On a previously up-to-date 8.1 box, three are non-security, but the bulletins are not up yet.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:42   #278
Tempest
Trusted User

I'm still worried we are going to see "Windows 10 upgrade wrecks 1000's of PC's worldwide" when this happens.

I do really really hope not, and I hope it goes smoothly for everyone everywhere, but given the amount of PC's around the globe, and the millions upon millions of hardware configurations, I'll be pleasantly amazed if some PC's don't keel over big time during this process and the media, naturally will ignore the 98% of PC's that ungraded without a hitch and try and spin some disaster out of it.

Here's hoping it goes as smoothly for everyone as we hope. It's a BIG and very brave thing to do, that's for sure.

They did say waves, so perhaps they will put the 1st wave out and pause for breath to see how it goes before the 2nd wave is allowed to go through.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 09:13   #279
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

I cant see many Windows 8.1 systems having issues although they still need to address the low storage problem for in place upgrades on systems that have 32 and 16GB of flash storage.

Some older systems running 7 and below may have driver issues if the manufacturers have not pulled their fingers out.
Old 15-07-2015, 09:29   #280
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Microsoft are handling driver support for windows 10. In fact if there were things that did not work after upgrading 7 to 8 you may find on 10 ms fix things for you.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote