Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 16-11-2019, 13:14   #2761
Listy
Hello meatball

Install Winaero Tweaker: https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

Go to behaviour -> Disable Driver Updates -> [Tick] Turn off driver updates via windows update

And done, no more messing about. There's loads of options in that tool, one of my essentials tbh
Listy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 16:27   #2762
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,349 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Install Winaero Tweaker: https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

Go to behaviour -> Disable Driver Updates -> [Tick] Turn off driver updates via windows update

And done, no more messing about. There's loads of options in that tool, one of my essentials tbh
Nope... use some unknown 3rd party tool to manage updates of all things. No chance, seems like it's ripe for getting Windows borked.

These are options afforded to enterprise by microsoft. I use MDM/Intune to manage windows updates config. I'm not particularly bothered by it installing driver updates as I know what it's doing.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 16:59   #2763
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
That's very paranoid. Bad experience in the past?
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Listy (16-11-2019)
Old 16-11-2019, 19:04   #2764
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
That's very paranoid. Bad experience in the past?
Nope. Not paranoid at all, it's just common sense, just leave it alone. Much like replacing the start menu or people who break windows by using CCleaner and disabling telemetry via some 3rd party junk... Why? Paranoia?
Old 16-11-2019, 19:41   #2765
target
Trusted User

The main reason to replace the start menu is that it's ****.
Thanked once by:
Listy (17-11-2019)
Old 17-11-2019, 00:37   #2766
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,655 Times in 557 Posts
How does CCleaner break Windows?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 02:10   #2767
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
If you have an nvidia display adapter, make sure you use Nvidia's drviers and not the ones supplied via Windows. The Windows ones cause all our PC's at work to be incapable of opening Metro apps (inc the start menu)

Have you tried use something other than Microsofts start menu? https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-S...s/tag/v4.4.142 is free
Updated my driver via Nvidia, booted into safe mode to clean my driver beforehand like I always do when I manually install a graphics driver, and the Start Menu works fine in Safe Mode. It does not work in normal mode even with the new driver.

I might try changing the start menu but won't this still leave me with the problem that I can't access anything on my taskbar via right clicking on them? Also my tasbar is stuck on "always on top" or something like that because I can't watch videos in fullscreen without making them "always on top" otherwise the taskbar is visible.

Basically my Taskbar is stuck in this weird incredibly inconvenient limbo. This is annoying me more than the lack of access to the start menu tbh.

Last edited by Shingster; 17-11-2019 at 02:58.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 02:18   #2768
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Make sure you download the GCN drivers from Nvidia.

Windows update now 'favours' the GCN drivers (Microsoft DCH (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps). e.g If you have a 441.20 Nvidia 'standard' driver installed. Windows update will ignore this, 'update' and give you 430.** or whatever the latest Microsoft have. But if you download the 'DCH' driver from Nvidia, Windows update won't do this. I had Geforce Experience and Windows update battling back and forth until I removed everything and did a clean install of the DCH drivers.
I'm confused, do you want me to download the GCN or the DCH? The only options I get are Standard and DCH, but they both give me the same result: Driver 441.20 to download. I have already installed 441.20 via searching on "standard" so how can I tell which is DCH and which isn't? Would the DCH be a different number?
Old 17-11-2019, 09:41   #2769
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I'm confused, do you want me to download the GCN or the DCH? The only options I get are Standard and DCH, but they both give me the same result: Driver 441.20 to download. I have already installed 441.20 via searching on "standard" so how can I tell which is DCH and which isn't? Would the DCH be a different number?
Whoops.. sorry typo. I meant DCH instead of GCN at the beginning.

Yes, they are the same driver. The DCH driver is in a new Windows 'driver wrapper'. Can tell in the Nvidia control panel.

It's not going to affect performance, it's just a new standardised driver package which will force OEM's and hardware manufacturers to get their act together. e.g If you got your GPU from Asus, they give you their gpu driver on a CD you install it (Asus are a bad example as they don't do this), but if they tinker with the hardware manufacturer's inf files and put a load of other crap in there so it means Windows update can't see it's the same hardware. You'll never get updated you from 340.22 to 400.23 or whatever. The unsuspecting normie customer has to manually go to the Asus website to get a new driver, but more likely they are stuck forever on old driver... along with any security flaws that might come with it.

OEM's like HP and Dell are notorious for this with Intel GPU drivers. The driver isn't a 'intel driver', it's a 'HP driver'. Even if Intel update their GPU for 7 years, if HP stop updating after 3 years, you are stuck and need to safe mode driver clean and 'maybe' get the Intel ones working, sometimes that doesn't work because HP have screwed it.

But now, with these new DCH packages, if you now get a laptop with integrated graphics you no longer have to wait for manufacturers to update their drivers. This also applies to all the other drivers like audio and network cards, fingerprint readers.. etc etc. Windows will have a much easier time updating drivers, since Microsoft will only need to deal with the hardware and can ignore the OEM junk so they can be much more accurate with future versions of Windows and be more likely stop compatibility problems.

This is why drivers via windows update are a good thing. It's annoying that they sometimes overwrite GPU drivers, but if you know how they work, you can still leave Windows to update your boring realtek and network drivers. Security exploits are more likely going to get updated and fixed for you.
Thanked once by:
Shingster (18-11-2019)
Old 17-11-2019, 16:18   #2770
Listy
Hello meatball

Bleachbit is better than CCleaner: https://www.bleachbit.org/

Give it a try guys, promise it won't make your machine rise and become sentient
Listy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 20:59   #2771
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Or..... Don't install any old random bit of crap and it'll be fine you won't have to clean it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 17-11-2019, 21:11   #2772
target
Trusted User

Quote:
Or..... Don't install any old random bit of crap and it'll be fine you won't have to clean it.
That's really, REALLY not the case

You'd be astonished at how much crap is left behind on your PC from software updates if you've never run a cleaner on it. Nvidia alone, (which is fairly on topic!) waste GB's of your precious SSD space.

Of course, you could argue that all this junk will come back the next time you upgrade software anyway. But I do my cleaning as part of a weekly maintenance task that involves checking for software updates, cleaning up after them, and finally performing a backup. So the clean keeps my backup size down!

Last edited by target; 17-11-2019 at 21:22.
Old 17-11-2019, 21:20   #2773
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,655 Times in 557 Posts
Indeed. Give it a couple of weeks and there's about 1gb worth of crap just from browsing alone.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:31   #2774
target
Trusted User

On the subject of keeping software up to date, I've been using this a few weeks and it's completely awesome. Knows far more programs than anything else I've seen that's similar. Recognises over 200 programs, drivers and games installed on my PC.

https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

Once it tells you something is updated though - you have to go to the appropriate website yourself. To get it to supply you the update requires the paid version. But since you'd have to go to the website anyway to manually check for updates it's nice to have that cut down to only those with actual updates for you.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to those not technically inclined though. You'd need to at least know what you have installed on your computer. To be able to tell the difference between it telling you a program you've installed is outdated and you need to update it. And it telling you a component of one of your programs is outdated and you want to be leaving it alone until the program using said component is itself updated.

Last edited by target; 17-11-2019 at 21:33.
Thanked once by:
mjr (17-11-2019)
Old 18-11-2019, 00:10   #2775
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
That's really, REALLY not the case

You'd be astonished at how much crap is left behind on your PC from software updates if you've never run a cleaner on it. Nvidia alone, (which is fairly on topic!) waste GB's of your precious SSD space.

Of course, you could argue that all this junk will come back the next time you upgrade software anyway. But I do my cleaning as part of a weekly maintenance task that involves checking for software updates, cleaning up after them, and finally performing a backup. So the clean keeps my backup size down!

Nvidia fixed that thing where it would stack up extracted drivers.. just the one in there now...

.... windows.old will remove itself after 30 days I think..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Indeed. Give it a couple of weeks and there's about 1gb worth of crap just from browsing alone.

Yeah... Chrome default disk cache is like 1-2GB..

Y'all need to relax. All this junk cleanup software is hangover from Windows XP.

Last edited by scoobyood; 18-11-2019 at 00:16.
Old 18-11-2019, 03:22   #2776
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Whoops.. sorry typo. I meant DCH instead of GCN at the beginning.

Yes, they are the same driver. The DCH driver is in a new Windows 'driver wrapper'. Can tell in the Nvidia control panel.
OK, thanks. It's sayng Standard in the control panel so I'll switch over to DCH later on. Obviously won't fix my TaskBar woes, but it'll be good practice to stick to DCH in future I guess!
Old 18-11-2019, 06:05   #2777
target
Trusted User

Quote:

Y'all need to relax. All this junk cleanup software is hangover from Windows XP.
I'm not on about Windows. Or Nvidia only - that was simply an example (and for what it's worth CCleaner sees half a GB of junk from Nvidia a mere 2 days after I last ran it ).
CCleaner can clean up after literally hundreds of different programs and games. If you think the programmers of all of these software titles keep your hard drive spick and span (especially if said software has exited uncleanly) then as a programmer myself, I'm going to have to disappoint you.

And if you're a gamer - there's also Steam Cleaner. Which can save you many GB's in duplicate runtime libraries.

You might not have many this party programs or have way more storage capacity than you need but I think it's wrong to claim there's no use for this kind of thing personally. But each to their own.

I assume you at least use Microsofts own disk cleanup on occasion? That'll at least keep MS's stuff clean if their software is what you mostly use.

Last edited by target; 18-11-2019 at 06:07.
Thanked once by:
Tempest (18-11-2019)
Old 18-11-2019, 11:34   #2778
Tempest
Trusted User

Rose tinted glasses on perhaps.

But was not the general idea:

1: You have a folder, and all the files related to the program go into that folder.
2: There is another folder (windows etc) which holds shared files/libraries which many programs can use to avoid duplication.
3: There is one file called "the registry" which centrally holds details and settings related to the program.

On the face of it, those 3 things sound very logical, and one would feel should keep things nice, in order and a breeze to tidy up.

Was that not the plan with windows of later years?
What went wrong?
Tempest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 12:24   #2779
target
Trusted User

2 and 3 were a **** idea. Is largely the problem
Old 18-11-2019, 14:46   #2780
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,007 Times in 436 Posts
Quote:
I assume you at least use Microsofts own disk cleanup on occasion? That'll at least keep MS's stuff clean if their software is what you mostly use.
This is all I use. I haven't used CCleaner for many years.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote