Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 16:40   #41
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Kris Commons finally gets his 2 year contract , that and the signings of GMS and Armstrong from Dundee Utd have considerably bolstered the Celtic squad.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:31   #42
fothy123
Trusted User

Commons has probably been your best player for the last few years so to get him finally tied down is a good bit of business. So with GMS signing, is that going to be Forrest going out the door then? He has been injured and not featuring much this seasons to my knowledge and the indecent exposure case should be at court in the future too.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:16   #43
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

GMS will play on left.
Old 06-02-2015, 13:05   #44
fothy123
Trusted User

Armstrong central midfield?
Old 06-02-2015, 14:02   #45
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
Armstrong central midfield?
I would guess so but may have to fight for his place, Biton is playing really well just now , Brown and Johansen are shoe ins imo. So good strength in depth just now.
Old 03-03-2015, 18:57   #46
fothy123
Trusted User

Finally looks like we might be getting rid of the board, hopefully the new ones being Rangers men can do the best for the club rather than the current lot who are only interested in lining their pockets. Ashley also been found to have dual interests and getting fined for that.

Going to be a very big job to rebuild as the majority of the current squad aren't good enough and Kenny McDowell clearly looks like he doesn't want to be around, so we might very well get a short term appointment till the summer to steady the ship with stuart McCall / Billy Davies both being strongly linked.
Old 03-03-2015, 19:53   #47
andybhoy
Trusted User

Not entirely sure how King can pass any genuine fit and proper test.

Not convinced the new lot are any less money motivated than the current lot.

Think Ally will be back?
Old 03-03-2015, 21:46   #48
fothy123
Trusted User

Well King has came out and said he doesn't believe he would fail.

The new lot I don't think are money motivated - King pumped £20m in last time and doubt he seen a penny back from that. It seems like genuine Rangers fans with this lot. I don't really see how anyone can make anything unless they are asset stripping anyway.

Don't think Ally will be back, I'd be fairly disappointed if he did come back as this season has shown that he couldn't really cut it. Robbie Neilson and Hearts have put us to shame, even the job that Hibs are doing now is starting to do the same. We need a new manager who won't just pick old favourites regardless of form.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08   #49
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

A lot of Rangers fans think things are going to change overnight, that King is some kind of a Messiah, they will be challenging Celtic for the SPL next year etc. I wonder where all the money is going to come from to buy a dozen quality players because the squad they have can't even challenge in the championship. And are not guaranteed promotion. On top of that they owe Ashley 10m and I hear the stadium is badly in need of maintenance. Last thing they should do is get into huge debt to compete. They missed a big opportunity over the last few years in putting together a young squad rather paying huge amounts for over the hill stars. They only need to look at Hearts to see how I can be done.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57   #50
fothy123
Trusted User

I don't think we will challenge Celtic next year, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make it through the playoffs. I don't think it will be overnight but if we bring in a new manager and have a big clear out of the squad and bring in some core players (we missed out on lot's of free players in the summer and January that signed for other Scottish clubs and they would have walked into our team straight away) then they would still need to hit the ground running. I actually think another year in the championship would be better for us in the long run as it will be less pressure.

I (and many other Rangers fans) have been saying exactly the same thing that we should have been building a young squad who would have got experience over the last few years rather than sign journeymen players. I reckon there would be about 6-8 players in the squad that would be worth keeping and not all of them would necessarily be first team players.

I think money will be spent to pay off Ashley's loans and efforts will be made to take the merchandise business back from him. I'd expect a massive uptake of ticket sales for the rest of the season and season tickets for next year as fans have been trying to starve the board out. In our first season down, we had crowds of 40,000+ every home game.
Old 05-03-2015, 15:21   #51
ascender
Trusted User

I don't think there's any Rangers fans left who think its going to be an overnight transformation. And to be honest, most also seem to want another year in the Championship too. There's no rush back given the way things are
Old 11-03-2015, 19:04   #52
fothy123
Trusted User

McCall now in charge of Rangers till the summer. Fairly pleased about this but I hope we look further in the summer.

Is Craig Thompson still going to be allowed to ref any games after his shambles in the cup game? Just about every decision wrong in the game!
Old 23-03-2015, 12:52   #53
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Hearts win the Championship at a canter something you wouldn't have predicted at start of season. Despite Rangers victory yesterday they have a battle on hand to secure other promotion spot with possibly 3 ties to negotiate.

Good 2 weeks for Celtic and Ronny , first trophy of Season in bag, in Semi- finals of SC and opened up a five point lead in PL with game in hand. Treble is there for the taking but still going to be difficult as the recent home defeat against St Johnstone showed you can lose any game.
Old 23-03-2015, 21:22   #54
fothy123
Trusted User

Wouldn't have predicted how dominant Hearts have been but they have absolutely been the best team by a mile, their policy of playing youths worked perfectly and is what we should have been doing for the past 3 years. Hibs had a sticky spell at the start and we have had a sticky spell in the middle. I think Hibs will probably have enough to finish second place so that would mean we would (provided we finish 3rd/4th) a tie against them, a tie against Hibs and a tie against the 11th in SPL, with all ties being over 2 legs.
Old 27-03-2015, 16:07   #55
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Ronny "The cheap option" Deila seems to be heading towards becoming only the third manager in Celtic's history to win the treble, what a great first season that would be for him after the early falterings in Europe. The team is playing better football compared to the start of the season (and last season!), the squad is also looking much fitter. Gordon has been immense since joining Celtic and is looking like the bargain of the century after signing on for free.

Biton and Johansen have stepped up to be mainstay's of the team, being first choice picks now. The signings of Armstrong and GMS (Only £2m!!) have been a master-stroke in freshening up the team, making the squad stronger and both players have adjusted automatically to playing for Celtic! Here's hoping Celtic do the treble, what a achievement that would be for this Celtic team.

Though there are clouds hoovering in for the summer, VVD looks likely to leave in the summer along with Denayer heading back to Man City to fight for a place in the first team so we'll need to two quality centre half's signed and bedded into the team for the league and Europe (maybe even 3 if Ambrose leaves too). John Guidetti will be off (to be honest he won't be missed) and I still feel we've not found a striker that can play comfortably in Europe and the SPL, Stokes and Griffiths are at best SPL level and frankly too slow.

Looks like Aberdeen have faded away after attempting to step up for a league race, I hope them and Dundee United strengthen in the summer so we have a more competitive league next year.

At the bottom Motherwell and St.Mirren are jostling for who will be relegated, the team from Paisley look down and out.

Meanwhile in the most competitive league in Scotland(!) Hearts have cruised to the league title in March, Hibs, The Rangers, Falkirk and QOS are fighting to get promoted through the play-offs, I think The Rangers may edge it, Stuart McCall's appointment will probably push the team to the SPL, I think Hibs will do their usual bottle job when the games that matter appear.

The Rangers in the Scottish Premier League then, they'll definitely be a very much low grade version of the one that used to play in it (It will be interesting to see what sort of team they build for the SPL) but knowing the quality of the teams in the Premier League I would guess they will likely scrape into the top 6 next season. Hearts on the hand look a very fresh and exciting team and I think they'll make the top 4 and might even challenge for second place along with Aberdeen and Dundee United.

Very much looking forward to seeing happens for the rest of the season
Old 30-03-2015, 18:40   #56
fothy123
Trusted User

Qualification for euros in France 2016... still a decent prospect that we might finally make our first finals since France 98. Top 2 teams qualify with best 3rd place team also qualifying and 8 other 3rd spot teams fighting for last 4 spots.

The 4 home nations in a decent situation and the ROI not too far behind us and Germany. Would be great for all 5 to qualify, but I think it might come down to us and ROI in our group unfortunately.
Old 05-04-2015, 15:46   #57
fothy123
Trusted User

If only Stuart McCall had been appointed instead of Kenny McDowell. What a difference in performances from the team and we hammered Hearts in the first half. McCulloch quite rightly sent off so should make us a bit more solid in defence for the next game or two.
Old 05-04-2015, 16:16   #58
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Yeah you hammered a Hearts team that are all looking forward to their holidays having done their job. No doubt McCall has steadied the ship though, must be favourites now to come up.
Old 05-04-2015, 17:15   #59
fothy123
Trusted User

Hearts were up for the game today, it most certainly wasn't a case of them not trying. Stats were fairly even although mostly due to us playing 45m with 10 men.
Old 19-04-2015, 22:50   #60
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohail View Post
Ronny "The cheap option" Deila seems to be heading towards becoming only the third manager in Celtic's history to win the treble, what a great first season that would be for him after the early falterings in Europe.
Won't be this season for Ronny to win the treble! Terrible decision for not giving a penalty in the first half but Celtic should still have had enough to win the game but ICT played fantastically well. Deila made a massive mistake taking off Forrest instead of Commons, who looked anonymous from the highlights. Both teams had chances in extra time, with ICT probably having the better ones and should also have had a penalty towards the end.

Danny Wilson has taken up a clause in his contract allowing him to move on during the summer and I'd fully expect him to be in green and white next season with probably Van Dijk moving elsewhere to help balance the books out.

Not overly confident on Rangers moving up a division yet, a draw against Livingston rather than a win has made it too tight with Hibs and QOS spanked us, so I wouldn't be confident of playing them again. Young Hardie made his first start and grabbed a couple of goals, the second being a lovely finish. Vuckic has been very impressive but I can't see Newcastle having any dealings with us next season and quite a few of the squad could/should be away. If Hibs don't make promotion then Scott Allan will be offski somewhere and he'd make a massive difference to us.
Closed Thread