Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Old 16-10-2014, 18:34   #141

A modern smart TV can play MKVs over a networks these days, Plex just seems like an unnecessary extra layer of software that's not needed, unless you have no other options.
Old 16-10-2014, 18:38   #142
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
A modern smart TV can play MKVs over a networks these days, Plex just seems like an unnecessary extra layer of software that's not needed, unless you have no other options.
Not that well though, and not with the Plex / XBMC interface, which is absolutely fantastic and worth the effort IMO.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 18:40   #143

Sure, it has it's pluses. I'm just not a huge fan of it, or anything that relies on DLNA really. I just like something can read direct from a simple network share.
Old 16-10-2014, 18:46   #144
rustybin

If something was available off the peg which would just work, I'd get it. As it is, I'm happy to sacrifice a little quality for convenience and a better front end.
Old 16-10-2014, 18:50   #145

That Google Nexus Player might be worth keeping an eye, probably a lot more flexible than the Amazon Fire TV
Old 17-10-2014, 12:33   #146
Celtic
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
If something was available off the peg which would just work, I'd get it. As it is, I'm happy to sacrifice a little quality for convenience and a better front end.
I think that is a very good point....players like the Mede8er are undoutedly great players but the fiddling about I initlaly endured to get it set up is a pain...admittled mede8er seem to have resolved it partially by the introduction of their own internal scraper....oh and their forum support is superb.
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 12:40   #147
alsemail
Bibble....

If you want the most simple streamer then probably the WDTV, but you won't get a nice GUI on it compared to the likes of a Mede8er, Popcorn Hour and nothing near XBMC.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:36   #148
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Thanks for this, and I really appreciate the help, but at the moment it's a little too complex for me to be able to sort out.

The first guide starts with "You should have a file that has a .tar file extension" - What file? From where?

The remote guide lost me at the end with the Advanced Configuration Steps. I'm sure it would all become clearer once I got stuck in, but I'm reluctant given the money and effort it took me last year to get my Proliant Microserver set up, only to find now it's obsolete and I need another solution!

I've got a half-term coming up and if another solution doesn't present itself beforehand, this is looking like my HT project.
I'd second XBMC/OpenElec, it's not half as difficult to set up as it looks at first.
Once I had a reasonable spec PC (i.e. one with a good video card with HDMI out) it took me about half an hour at most to get XBMC installed and running.

The hardest bit was getting the movie library correct, XBMC does a great job of finding movie details but you always end up with a few it doesn't get right. It took me a day or two (not continuously!) to get the movie library as I wanted it and correct by sorting out my naming conventions properly.

In terms of a remote, I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Cont...n+media+remote it controls the XBMC PC perfectly, all the functions work, no key mapping, just plug and play.

I've had all kinds of boxes over the years, Plex was awful at recognising the metadata for films etc, plus very clunky. MediaBrowser is good, but not a patch on XBMC.

I use my XBMC PC to stream my movies, TV series and music library, all in one box. Until now I had multiple solutions to do the three.

Plus it looks really nice on-screen.

Do it do it.

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
rustybin (18-10-2014)
Old 18-10-2014, 10:50   #149

I do think once you've got XBMC up and running you'll wonder what took you so long. It really is good.
Old 18-10-2014, 17:53   #150
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I'm still using a creaky old Dune HD Duo Media player and it's never skipped a beat in all the years I've owned it. You can set it up with a front-end but it's not something that appeals to me really. As long as I can read what the file is and it plays back, that's all I need. It seems a bit OCD to need pictures and everything.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 18:42   #151
alsemail
Bibble....

Depends on how many films you have and if you've seen them all.

I don't fancy browsing a list with with 1000+ movies and wondering what a couple of hundred of them are about, just a name

I had a WDTV as my first streamer, it was fine but just a list of names. I soon changed that for a Boxee which had a nice GUI and organised my media pretty well.
Now I've moved over to XBMC I wouldn't go back, a list of filenames now would just do my head in.

It's not even just the pictures and synopsis, it's the way it can browse by actor/rating/length/genre etc that just makes it a better experience.

Last edited by alsemail; 18-10-2014 at 18:44.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Roy (18-10-2014)
Old 18-10-2014, 18:48   #152
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
Depends on how many films you have and if you've seen them all.

I don't fancy browsing a list with with 1000+ movies and wondering what a couple of hundred of them are about, just a name

I had a WDTV as my first streamer, it was fine but just a list of names. I soon changed that for a Boxee which had a nice GUI and organised my media pretty well.
Now I've moved over to XBMC I wouldn't go back, a list of filenames now would just do my head in.

It's not even just the pictures and synopsis, it's the way it can browse by actor/rating/length/genre etc that just makes it a better experience.
I also used to have a WDTV, which was fine but agricultural. Part of the advantage for me with XBMC is that my wife thinks I am a human movie synopsis machine, and constantly want to knw what something is about, who's in it etc, so XBMC gives me a one button solution to that problem

Roy@Flickr
Old 18-10-2014, 19:01   #153

I use my XBMC as a list of files and folders, you can set it however you like
Old 18-10-2014, 22:13   #154
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Wait, what? You guys download/buy films without knowing the plot or actors/director involved beforehand?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 09:39   #155
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Wait, what? You guys download/buy films without knowing the plot or actors/director involved beforehand?
I know at the time I get them, I just don't retain it well enough to regurgitate it on demand

If I see something interesting, I get it and then have enough faith in my own judgement that I don't need to remember why I got it, only that my past self thought it was worthwhile

It does my wife's head in, because she's asking me all kinds of questions and I'm just saying, I thought it looked good so I got it, I don't need to know anything more than that

Roy@Flickr
Old 19-10-2014, 15:49   #156
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I kind of have the same problem, but my wife's more interested in how long the film is. It used to really annoy her that I had to check on IMDB etc, but XBMC not only shows it, but also gives you a finish time once you're watching and pause it. And it's a godsend for keeping track of TV shows. I used to rename them once watched, but now it's just handled by the software.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 06:35   #157
toffee
GBV

Users of Raspberry Pi - anyone else have regular issues with theirs stopping booting?

I have two and on a fairly regular basis they just stop booting, and I need to reformat the SD card and then it all works fine.

i've tried:
different SD cards
moving all the data to USB stick
different power supplies

i'm using OpenElec, and not doing any overclocking.

One of the Pis seems more reliable than the other, and only gets stuffed up after a month or so. The other one I seem to be rebuilding ever other week.

it's such an amazing solution, when it works, I love it. But it's starting to get on my nerves now.

Anyone else have the same problem?
toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 07:37   #158
Roy

I run on a Dell OptiPlex so unfortunately can't really help...

My only beef with OpenElec is how poor the support forum is at answering questions, and requesting new features is on GitHub instead of the forum and the interface of GitHub is impenetrable (to me anyway )

Roy@Flickr
Old 26-10-2014, 08:46   #159
toffee
GBV

i think I may have solved my problem - both SD cards were a little "warped". maybe getting too warm then pushes them out of contact with the switches....bent em back and now both working reliably.

I have ordered a new B+ model anyhow, which I guess wont have this issue.

so maybe, when they work OK, OpenElec on a Pi is pretty hard to beat as an all round media player.

*edit* others having same issue swear by these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-flash-TF-C...item3391900a43

Last edited by toffee; 26-10-2014 at 10:09.
toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 18:17   #160
rustybin

Ok - I'm having a go on the Raspberry Pi.

So far, basic set-up all done. I'm running OpenElec.

Things it won't do...

1) Display any of the nice Movie Thumbnails / Any information at all except the file name

2) I'd like to click Video, then have the option of Movies or TV Shows. Can't seem to get it to do this. I have to navigate through about 4-5 clicks through the various file-system layers of my Disk station.

Apart from that, it's good.

Unless these issues can be fixed though, it's a non-starter.