Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 19-01-2016, 11:56   #501
frankcaffrey
Banned

I have a question, i need to listen spotify but i am not in Europe or USA but in Qatar due to some work issues? Can i still listen with my account or i need a VPN?
Some1 suggested me purevpn for unlocking spotify? Should i buy it?
frankcaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:08   #502
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

If you have a paid spotify account you can listen to it anywhere. You only need to be in the country of use a VPN to sign up. I'm in the UAE using a US spotify account which was originally a UK one.

Don't pay for a VPN just to sign up to paid, use one like tunnel bear that gives you free usage each month to do the sign up.

If you want to use the free spotify you have to sign in from your home country every two weeks, so you can also use tunnel bear for doing that. Turn on the VPN to the US, log in to spotify on your laptop, play a track, then disconnect the VPN, and you should have another two weeks

Last edited by Stevie G; 20-01-2016 at 07:10.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 19:06   #503
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Has anyone given Tidal a go yet? I'm curious but I can't get my head around how I would make the most out of the lossless audio. My Mac outputs full on 96kHz audio, but to play it on my amp I would have to airplay it, which as the Apple TV only does 48 would mean I lose the benefits of the lossless format pretty much. Directly connecting my Macbook to my amp is a major ball ache as a lot of the time I use my Mac while listening to music. It seems a logistical problem.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 21:21   #504
LouBarlow
Retired Member

To answer my own question yeah Tidal is pretty damn good. Even when AirPlay-ing the difference is massive through decent speakers. I haven't fully investigated the catalogue yet but the quality is bang on. Not convinced that it is worth the x2 cost of Apple Music yet though.
Old 25-01-2016, 21:57   #505
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
To answer my own question yeah Tidal is pretty damn good. Even when AirPlay-ing the difference is massive through decent speakers. I haven't fully investigated the catalogue yet but the quality is bang on. Not convinced that it is worth the x2 cost of Apple Music yet though.

I got a trial account and felt the same as you regarding quality but I didn't keep it up as it just wasn't worth the costs over Spotify/Apple.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:10   #506
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Yeah I'll give it a go then cancel as £20 is pretty steep all things considered. It's also proper crappy that you can't stream in lossless quality with any other browser but Chrome.

As a side note, I notice Adele's new LP is now on Apple Music. I thought it wasn't going up on any streaming sites?

Last edited by LouBarlow; 26-01-2016 at 09:12.
Old 26-01-2016, 19:16   #507
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Annnnnnyway, I am conducting a little Tidal experiment. I notice that the prices vary drastically around the world for the Hi-Fi package, e.g.:

UK - £20
US - ~£14
CAN - ~£9.90

Now here is the rub, if you use a proxy you can sign up in any of those countries. Suddenly, paying a tenner a month for lossless audio doesn't seem as bad! I may well sign up for a US account as well, to see how the catalogue's vary, but there does seem differences between the Canadian and UK, so I will have to give them a go and see before my free trials on each run out.

If I stop posting you know that Jay-Z tracked me down.

Edit - all the top 20 albums in the UK store are also on the Canadian.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 26-01-2016 at 19:22.
Old 27-01-2016, 03:55   #508
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Tidal is the one service ive not tried yet, just because our connection is too unreliable, but Ill try it when we get back to the uk.

Is it geo-blocked? With Spotify, the now deceased Rdio and Google Music i could set up a US account using a VPN service and access it from anywhere without a VPN; being 'in country' only seems to be neccessary for sign up (or for accessing the free version every two weeks) and ive been able to use all of them from the UAE with US and UK accounts. If you can do the same with Tidal you could use something free like Tunnelbear for the sign up to a CA VPN and it wont cost anything to to it.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:17   #509
LouBarlow
Retired Member

It is not geo-blocked and the content seems pretty much identical world wide. It let me link my UK Paypal account to my Canadian Tidal account too. I'm reading they aren't doing so well so I guess they won't be cracking down too hard on anyone willing to give them money.

In terms of content, it has everything and more of the things I'm interested in (e.g. Modest Mouse's entire catalogue is on there, rather than a couple of albums, as is the case on Apple Music) so paying the same as I would to Apple for much better audio quality, seems a no-brainer.

The only flaw with Tidal I've found, is the lack of gap-less playback, which I guess is a consequence of buffering huge files. Otherwise the iOS app works well.
Old 27-01-2016, 09:41   #510
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, ok, thanks. Is there the option for Last.fm scrobbling in the iOS app?
Old 27-01-2016, 10:25   #511
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I'm no expert on such things, but there is a Last.FM setting, that when you click on, presents an option for 'Username' and 'Password' so I'm presuming so, if that is how scrobbling works?

Their playlists seem very good too. Hand-picked rather than automated.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 27-01-2016 at 10:26.
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (27-01-2016)
Old 27-01-2016, 16:53   #512
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, yes, that'll be it, it just adds anything you play to your list of played tracks.
Old 29-01-2016, 17:55   #513
CARL
XBox Tag:Carl The Jackal

Quote:
Annnnnnyway, I am conducting a little Tidal experiment. I notice that the prices vary drastically around the world for the Hi-Fi package, e.g.:

UK - £20
US - ~£14
CAN - ~£9.90

Now here is the rub, if you use a proxy you can sign up in any of those countries. Suddenly, paying a tenner a month for lossless audio doesn't seem as bad! I may well sign up for a US account as well, to see how the catalogue's vary, but there does seem differences between the Canadian and UK, so I will have to give them a go and see before my free trials on each run out.

If I stop posting you know that Jay-Z tracked me down.

Edit - all the top 20 albums in the UK store are also on the Canadian.
Quote:
It is not geo-blocked and the content seems pretty much identical world wide. It let me link my UK Paypal account to my Canadian Tidal account too. I'm reading they aren't doing so well so I guess they won't be cracking down too hard on anyone willing to give them money.

In terms of content, it has everything and more of the things I'm interested in (e.g. Modest Mouse's entire catalogue is on there, rather than a couple of albums, as is the case on Apple Music) so paying the same as I would to Apple for much better audio quality, seems a no-brainer.

The only flaw with Tidal I've found, is the lack of gap-less playback, which I guess is a consequence of buffering huge files. Otherwise the iOS app works well.
Thanks for this, just signed up using the Canadian site with my UK Paypal, wasn't going to pay £20 pm but £10 is far more enticing
CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 19:05   #514
douglasb
Suedehead.

Billboard surveyed 50 music industry pros and 71% think Tidal will be gone by the late summer at the latest.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 07:40   #515
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Not if everyone using Spotify and AM move across and sign up via Canada
Old 30-01-2016, 22:54   #516
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Well my experiment has hit a bit of a major problem in that the catalogues do vary pretty drastically and I can't live without my Super Furry Animals so both the US and Canada are out. The U.K. seems to have the best selection all round which is a major ball ache as it's the most expensive in the world
Old 31-01-2016, 13:07   #517
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Have you actually tried Google Music yet Lou? I personally think it's the best service out there. It has the best radio/genre/mood, etc radios of all IMO, especially since they used the Songza stuff, lets you thumbs up and down everything (to help learn what you like/don't like - most only have thumbs up/favourite) and with the 50,000 user uploads you can easily add anything missing (like you can with Apple Music).

The only reason I've not persisted with it is because I now have an iPhone and the iOS doesn't have the Last.fm scrobbling. If they every added that it would be my preferred choice.

It's certainly worth using the free trial if you haven't tried it.
Old 31-01-2016, 14:36   #518
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I'm pretty happy with AM to be honest, but having now sampled Lossless streaming, I'm not sure I'll be able to go back, as the difference is significant on my equipment.
Old 31-01-2016, 18:47   #519
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, fair enough. One of the things I really like about Google Music is that the mood, genre, artist stations aren't curated so not limited to 20/30 tracks, and just keep playing, and anything you thumbs up/down affects what else you get, so you end up with more stuff you like.

It's certainly a polished and complete service, and the mobile apps are excellent (the web UI less so). The only shortcomings are the lack of Lasf.fm scrobbling (deal breaker for me), and the limited social stuff that Spotify does so well.

I will try Tidal though when we're back (and my connection isn't ****!), just to see how it feels.

I know what you mean about the lossless though. I realised I could notice a difference through my Sonos speakers and have been trying to replace as many mp3s with flac as possible since (most of my CDs are in boxes in the UK, so downloading them to save me re-ripping when I get back!) Not a big difference, just a little warmer, fuller and brighter.

The day I someone has a streaming service that ticks all my boxes the happier I will be! I'm amazed that no one has released a streaming service comparison site that lets you build up a list of artists/albums and easily check who does and doesn't have all the stuff essential to you - I've thought it was a good idea for quite some time, but no idea how to do it myself!

Last edited by Stevie G; 31-01-2016 at 18:51.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 19:08   #520
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

I also thought the same Stevie but again no knowledge on how to actually do it.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote