Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 17-07-2015, 09:10   #381
douglasb
Suedehead.

Young is just a crotchety old guy. Got to feel sorry for all his fellow musicians who will be denied royalties while he's taking his ball home.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:27   #382
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

has anybody seen what he posted on his facebook page?

"I was there.
AM radio kicked streaming's ass.
Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming's ass,
and absolutely rocked compared to streaming.

Streaming sucks. Streaming is the worst audio in history.
If you want it, you got it. It's here to stay.
Your choice.

Copy my songs if you want to. That's free.
Your choice.

All my music, my life's work, is what I am preserving the way I want it to be.

It's already started. My music is being removed from all streaming services. It's not good enough to sell or rent.

Make streaming sound good and I will be back.

Neil Young"

erm yes, ok neil. Sounds like you're actually a deaf grumpy old ******* if for one minute you think AM radio and tape sounds better than streaming. Think Bish hit the nail on the head - he may as well have just said, PLEASE buy my pono player as it's a big flop!
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:15   #383
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Have you seen how much it cost?

Good luck Neil...
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:29   #384
GregB
Stagger Lee

and it it looks like a ******* Tobelerone
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:53   #385
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

He seems to be completely missing the point of steaming services. Most people want the convenience and use it on their phone, and don't want to carry around a separate unconnected music player or spent hundreds in it or headphones to notice the better quality.

I can't imagine using an old iPod type device now, having to connect it up to iTunes to update it, etc.
Old 17-07-2015, 14:48   #386
LouBarlow
Retired Member

320kbps MP3s and 256kkbps AAC sound fantastic on my relatively high end gear, so anyone with consumer level gear is not going to notice the difference between streaming and CDs. I wonder if he will be recalling all his CDs in the coming days?
Old 18-07-2015, 12:16   #387
ascender
Trusted User

"Copy my songs if you want to, that's free".

Really??? Sounds like he's lost the plot.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 11:04   #388
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Apple Music is winning me over a little more each day.

My biggest gripe with iTunes pre-Apple Music was syncing music to my, admittedly ancient, iPhone 4s. For whatever reason it's would only sync over wifi and would take a good 1-2 minutes for each song; whereas with the Spotify app the sync was near on instantaneous.

With Apple Music this now seems a lot quicker and if I'm about to head out and fancy something new and not have to rely on 3G, it's now not a chore to wait for it to sync before I go out.

I also like how in the desktop app I can listen to a new song, add it to my collection and add the album even if it's not out yet knowing that it'll be added, artwork and all metadata when it's released. When using Spotify I always found I had to keep a mental note when an album is released and then go look for it.

I think my buying and consuming habits will change for the better with AM. For convenience and new music it'd be easier to just rely on the streaming side. I don't see the point of using disk space and time collecting and maintaining digital copies anymore.

As much as I love Spotify I don't think i'll renew my sub once my current student discount ends. I'm still a little bitter about them ditching the desktop apps and as it stands it doesn't offer me anything that AM doesn't.

For albums I really love and want to be 'connected' to I'll purchase the vinyl.

Vinyl and Streaming. It's the future.
Old 19-07-2015, 11:14   #389
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Spotify still had a desktop app last week. Why did they ditch it? Not a good app admittedly, but it was still there for me.

I cancelled Spotify and am sticking with AM too. The catalogue seems to be slowly improving, as I notice all of Tame Impala's back catalogue is now available, whereas it wasn't on launch. I expect them to improve as time goes on even more.
Old 19-07-2015, 11:27   #390
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Sorry, I mean't the apps within Spotify. Some of them were gash but others were a good way of finding new music.
Old 19-07-2015, 11:27   #391
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Hadn't realised they ditched the desktop app? So that knackers people using local file streaming then? So just the web UI and mobile apps now? Can't see any talk of them adding any user upload / cloud storage options or matching the better AM family prices. They need to pull their fingers out before AM gets spread onto more platforms and starts taking more users. Even losing people to the three months free trial must be costing them a lot.
Old 19-07-2015, 15:13   #392
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

No, the desktop app is still available; its the apps within spotify which I never used to be honest which have been discontinued.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 11:51   #393
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, ok, my mistake. Not tried it for a while
Old 20-07-2015, 13:55   #394
douglasb
Suedehead.

New from Spotify

"Updated every Monday morning, Discover Weekly brings you two hours of custom-made music recommendations, tailored specifically to you and delivered as a unique Spotify playlist.

For the first time ever, we’re combining your personal taste in music with what similar fans are enjoying right now. This means every song in Discover Weekly is based both on your own listening as well as what others are playlisting and listening to around the songs you love - making your playlist completely unique and full of deep cuts and new discoveries.

It’s like having your best friend make you a personalised mixtape every single week.

As your music taste evolves, so will Discover Weekly. In fact, the more you listen, the better it gets. And because it’s a playlist you can access and listen to it across all your platforms and devices. Plus, sharing it with friends or making it available offline for your Monday commute is super easy.

“High Fidelity’s Rob Gordon had it right - the making of a mixtape is a very subtle art. That’s why we created Discover Weekly,” says Gustav Söderström, VP of Product at Spotify. “There’s never been a simpler, more personalised way to discover music, with every playlist tuned just to you every single week.”

You’ll soon find your Discover Weekly playlist at the top of your playlist folder, across all of your devices. Refreshed with new music every week, remember to save your new favourites before the week is out."
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 14:22   #395
LouBarlow
Retired Member

That still sounds a bit limited compared to what Apple are doing. A step in the right direction though.
Old 20-07-2015, 18:19   #396
Bish

I quite like the idea of a single weekly playlist. The "for you" bit of AM is nothing special.

AM isn't even working For me at the moment (iTunes desktop), it just skips tracks without playing anything.

Last edited by Bish; 20-07-2015 at 18:24.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 18:34   #397
ascender
Trusted User

Have started downloading some of AM's themed running playlists and its quite nice to have a new selection of music on hand for a run without having to think about it. Am also enjoying their "intro to..." playlists to check out some different bands who kind of passed me by previously.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:00   #398
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I quite like the idea of a single weekly playlist. The "for you" bit of AM is nothing special.
If it's not for you, then you must be doing something wrong re hearting tracks and bands you like etc. Works great here. The playlists have had a lot of thought put into them too - earlier I played one which had Yeah Yeah Yeah's 'Maps' followed by Hot Chip's 'One Life Stand' and because Maps doesn't fade out, in the album version, as it blends into the next track, it works brilliantly with the HC song, as it starts on a heavy beat - it's hard to explain, but the gapless playback, makes it sound almost as if it's been 'mixed' together. I was impressed anyway
Old 21-07-2015, 16:36   #399
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,172 Posts
iTunes Match totally dead today, so can't access my music at all. Super.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:43   #400
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Yeah it's working now for me but is flakey as hell. Not going to be impressed if it remains this way after they start expecting payment.