Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 14-06-2016, 02:39   #1
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

[PS4] Spiderman (Insomniac developing)

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/2..._playstation_4

Quote:
Hey True Believers!

We’ve just revealed the first big surprise from the Marvel Games team: an all-new Spider-Man experience, exclusively for the PlayStation 4! If you tuned in to PlayStation’s E3 press briefing we’re sure you’ve already felt the excitement. But if you missed it, there’s a first look up top at one of our most ambitious projects yet. Let’s go for a swing!

Now, to answer some of your Daily Bugle front page questions…

Why Spider-Man? Because when Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created Peter Parker, they broke the mold of what a Super Hero could be and set the bar by which all others would be judged. And that’s exactly what we plan to do with this game: break the mold and set a new bar of greatness for Marvel Games!

Why Insomniac? Insomniac is a perfect match for Spider-Man because not only are they world class game developers that make phenomenal story-driven experiences, but they also craft games bursting with personality, humor and most importantly: fun…just like Spidey!

Why PlayStation?* The PlayStation 4 is one of the most exciting gaming platforms ever! But not only have they created a great gaming console, they also have an amazing line-up of first party titles and a community of the most passionate players that we are thrilled to join.

The Marvel Games team is determined to deliver authentic Marvel experiences filled with our magic mix of action, drama, humor, romance, social relevance, and jaw-dropping awesomeness. This all-new Spider-Man game and our partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment and Insomniac is a direct result of our wholehearted dedication to creating the best Marvel games the world has ever seen!

We hope you enjoyed your first look at our new Spider-Man and we invite you to keep watching the skies for more surprises from Marvel Games in the months to come.
*Sony wouldn't let us use Spidey in Civil War other wise.
Mr M0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:02   #2
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Activision really messed up the spidey license so fingers crossed and Insomniac is a good choice for developer.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 11:31   #3
dmb6473a
Trusted User

If its a cross between the previous Spiderman games and the Arkham series, I'll pick this up. Hopefully there are a few costume skins though. The white logo on the one in the trailer looks odd.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 11:37   #4
SGP_Mustang
mm, beer.

Insomniac and exclusive? Interesting. Might have to pick this one up.

https://twitter.com/Zeppelin0309
SGP_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 12:19   #5
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Definitely have the right developer to finally give us a good Spidey game to play.

Fingers crossed!

It should be a no-brainer. Copy the Arkham game structure & combo combat, but obviously more light-hearted = take all my money!

Last edited by TonyG; 14-06-2016 at 12:22.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:21   #6
TonyG

Time to resurrect this old thread as it's out tomorrow...

Expectation levels are through the roof, so very much looking forward to getting stuck into this tonight! (eBay copy arrived at lunchtime).
Old 06-09-2018, 14:10   #7
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

Looking forward to hearing peoples views on this.

It's definitely on my 'to buy' list, but I need to clear a few from my current backlog first.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 15:53   #8
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Reviews been high across the board, seems to suffer a little bit from Map stuffing but looks and plays solid. Hopefully my copy appears tomorrow from HMV.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 17:17   #9
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,111 Times in 499 Posts
good review here

Also the Jim sterling review mention the only bad point was the ubisoft style side contents which are quite cookie cutter, collectables, radio towers, numerous gang fighters etc He said it could of done with more bosses

Once back off holiday, will be getting this game
Old 06-09-2018, 18:38   #10
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I've just played the first mission. Very impressive graphics bit the star of the show are the controls. Really fluid web swinging and satisfying fighting.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50   #11
TonyG

Had my first three hour session late last night & no surprise that I loved it all. Beautiful visuals, runs super-smooth, decent cut-scenes, lovely New York sandbox to play in, with impressive draw distance & lots of nice little touches. Swinging around at speed is a joy. The combat feels more involved than the Batman games, with lots to learn even before you start unlocking new moves. The random crime fights you encounter, can be dealt with simply, but if you look at the specific bonus criteria & attempt those, things get much more challenging. There are also some puzzle mini-games back at your Lab that are a welcome addition, rewarding you with elements needed for the light RPG mechanics in the game.

Only grumble so far is the searchable collectables. I don't mind them if there is some kind of challenge, however small, but there's no challenge here. Unlocking Radio Towers thankfully at least has a simplistic puzzle element...
Old 07-09-2018, 13:15   #12
dunkle
Trusted User

Hmmmmmm

I’m not so sure
Within minutes I was reminded why I don’t like my PlayStation pro that much
Controller still feels too small and light and my god it’s like someone has left a hairdryer on the console is that noisy

Game wise, well it looks lovely, and nice and fast but I can’t quite put my finger in it, but I’m not loving it. I know he is not Batman, it’s a faster, more balletic, form of combat, but it’s still felt too light and button mashy

Not fully convinced at moment I’ll stick with it
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 17:46   #13
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

My Pro only makes noise with HDR stuff for short periods, I've got mine on the glass bottom shelf of my TV stand and it's not that bad, that said every machine is different. You can get 3rd party controllers with more grip but your loose the Headphone socket.
Old 08-09-2018, 18:58   #14
eye__writ
Trusted User

Had a couple of hours with the game this morning and not seeing what the fuss is about just yet. I hear the combat gets much better as more moves are unlocked but it seems much more prone to dropping combos than Batman and not as satisfyingly beefy.

The traversal is quick and pretty slick, but swinging around the quite samey looking city just feels a lot blander and more repetitive than something similarly mobile, but more inventive, like Sunset Overdrive.

I'll be sticking with it and hopefully it improves but not an amazing first impression.
Old 08-09-2018, 22:03   #15
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

You need to use Webs and other gadgets as well as suit powers (The Spider-Bro and Iron Spider legs are great for large scale melee combat) along with Dodging and Air attacks to get the most out of combat, you can't just sit in the middle of a mass group of enemies and expect to pummel them with your fists and feet alone. Only issue I've had is with stealth in that the enemy AI is sometimes cheap and a target marked safe can be suddenly detected by another enemy not in line of sight, so you have to pull back to safe distance and let things cool down.

I think the open world is great, it does feel like a living breathing city and not a empty wasteland like Gotham in the later Arkham game. There are some filler cookie cutter side quests but nothing that distracts from the main narrative.

The Game has crashed twice on my Pro when opening the map after a Side Mission. Also the camera system gets confused and fails completely when in a confined area i.e the Intro mission and other indoor combat if you get too close to a wall. Both are fixable minor issues.

The game has good fan service and some enjoyable cameos, references and curve balls. The Game World draws heavily on Ultimate Marvel Universe but moulds it into it's own thing.

Last edited by dataloss; 08-09-2018 at 22:05.
Old 09-09-2018, 20:35   #16
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Old 10-09-2018, 07:51   #17
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeed View Post
Looking forward to hearing peoples views on this.

It's definitely on my 'to buy' list, but I need to clear a few from my current backlog first.
I caved and bought it over the weekend. Only had about 30 minutes on it so far, but enjoying what I've seen.

Last edited by MrSpeed; 10-09-2018 at 07:52. Reason: Typo
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:53   #18
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I'm at about 60% complete. The core of the game is excellent, but some of the side quests are a mixture of repetitive, boring and frustrating. There's one mission where some idiot decided it would be fun to have you remove barrels from the sea. Then there's the base missions (you think you've completed them all.............and then it makes you do them for another character............and another............and another).

Combat initially seems very poor, but once you have certain perks (and attach the "take less bullet damage" power), it gets a lot better. Mastering the perfect dodge counter is also essential (especially after you get the upgrades for it).

The little touches are really nice and add to the experience (make sure you do the landmarks quest for some locations that you might not otherwise notice), and once you get used to the web swinging, it becomes second nature.

Overall, not quite as good as the Arkham games, but still very good.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 17:08   #19
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

There's no riddler driving challenges so that makes it automatically better than the last Batman game.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2018, 17:22   #20
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
There's no riddler driving challenges so that makes it automatically better than the last Batman game.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Instead you have to chase very fast pigeons across the skyline and find and throw bombs into the sky all over NYC before a very short timer runs out...

There is a great gag during a mission about a certain scene in Spider-Man 2 about half way through the game though...