Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 27-01-2013, 20:24   #161
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Love Letter - another snow movie and a nice bit of Shunji Iwai. Lovely film, makes me want to visit Otaru on Hokkaido (as do plenty of Chinese and Korean tourists who flock there to see locations).

Space Truckers - I like Stuart Gordon movies, really, and spacer movies like Wing Commander, and I even have a unexplainable soft spot for Moon 44. But this is ********.

Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire - a snooker grudge match with Phil "the Kid" Daniels on one side and Alan "Vampire" Armstrong in full Ray Reardon lookalike mode on the other. And it's a musical. Hugely enjoyable but, erm, perhaps not for everyone....

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Down it goes, into my belly...
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 21:24   #162
Soprano
Walking the line

Watching a lot at the moment....

Star Trek (2009) - Brilliant. Seen this a few times now, but now its become an all time person favourite. 10/10

Argo - Really well made. I did find myself saying "I bet it didnt happen like that" a few times, but its a really good film. Ben Affleck really on a hot streak directing. 8/10

LA Confidential - Havent seen this in a few years. Superb. I really wish we had more intelligent, well acted films like this. 9/10
Old 28-01-2013, 09:36   #163
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Les Misérables (cinema): Enjoyed it a lot despite the flat look and excessive CGI. Agree with others that it sounds like one song all the way though.

Django Unchained (cinema): Gloriously entertaining; felt it was too long though; and I liked the way it showed the brutality of life for slaves.

Star Wars (R1): Great popcorn flic best seen in Saturday serials mode. CGI Jaba is an abomination that should never have been allowed
Old 30-01-2013, 15:01   #164
Soprano
Walking the line

Fracture - Pretty good, not great. One you didnt feel like you wasted your time, but wouldnt recommend to your friends. Gosling good as usual, but very obvious what DA was up towards the end. Lacked suspense. 5/10

Trouble with the Curve - Eastwood just being a grumpy old man yet again and a 100 clichés we've seen before. But enjoyable all the same. 6/10

The Grey - Was surprised how good this was. Neeson back to acting and being strong lead. Could have been really silly, but well directed and good cast elevate it 8/10
Old 30-01-2013, 23:24   #165
catfood
Trusted User

10 things i hate about you 11/10
mean girls 10/10
pitch perfect 9/10

just another lazy sunday chick flics afternoon.
catfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 10:13   #166
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Not a bad few days, though avoid the execrable "When The Light's Went Out" (2012)...

"Mama" (2013)-creepy, effective horror 4/5

"It's A Disaster" (2012)-quirky apocalyptic comedy/drama 4/5

"Made In Dagenham" (2010)-bright and bouncy Brit comedy/docu-drama 4/5
Old 31-01-2013, 10:33   #167
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Cockneys vs Zombies - The title says it all so there were no surprises. That said I thought it was a good fun movie with some decent jokes and an enjoyable cast.

The Raid - As good as I had hoped it would be after the positive reviews on its release. Brilliant, brutal fight scenes filmed and edited in a way that lets you enjoy the action. A genuine treat.

The Hangover 2 - I enjoyed the first one but this was a rotten obnoxious mess. All of the characters were incredibly unpleasant and it was hugely unfunny. I can't say I even laughed once bar the odd smirk. I love a good gross out comedy but why do a lot of these new comedies have to be so mean spirited without any characters who you can root for?

Last edited by Hood; 31-01-2013 at 10:34.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39   #168
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
(Ooh!) Navy SEALS - Charlie Sheen destroys Beirut. Comic gold with a few decent action set pieces. One of those films I feel the urge to watch whenever it turns up on tv.

Hit & Run - Kristen Bell & Dax Shepherd action comedy vanity project. Very silly, but good fun & surprisingly full of cameos from famous(ish) people. Worth watching just for the look on Kristen's face when she's in the cars doing stunts.

The Cold Light of Day - Superman, John McLane & Ellen Ripley run around Spain shooting everyone. Confusing plot & Bruce Willis isn't in it much, but it's nicely shot, Sigourney Weaver looks like she's having the time of her life, Henry Cavill's not too bad & it's just about saved by a decent car chase in the last quarter.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00   #169
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

Cell 211 Brilliant spanish film about a prison wardens first day on the job and getting trapped in the prison when a riot kicks off. 9/10

Resident Evil - Damnation 90 minutes of a PS3 cutscene but just about watchable 6/10

Cockneys v Zombies Just scraped past the point of watchability. Nice to see a cockney film without danny dyer in it and Michelle Ryan ovbviously took the cancellation of Bionic Woman hard and hit the doughnut tray. 6/10

Last edited by Wilson; 03-02-2013 at 16:11.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37   #170
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Antarctic Journal - last of my snow-theme movies. Always good to see Song Kang-ho, and nicely shot. Moves shouldn't pigeon-hole themselves, but really this did feel as if it hadn't made up its own mind what it wanted to be. Perhaps that's a tad harsh, certainly worth a watch. Want to see the director's "Hansel & Gretel".

Dragonslayer - Great locations, and the film stuck to its guns as a gritty fantasy, but didn't quite take off with the cast it had. Much better than dreck like Willow, so points for trying hard. Still got the Starburst poster magazine for it somewhere, which begs the question about the DVD cover art which is **** - looks like I painted it.

Always - sigh, loved this when I first saw it, the magic is still there. Soppy, old-fashioned and under-rated, hope they get round to a Blu ray.

Last edited by mrsteve; 03-02-2013 at 13:46.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:40   #171
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Tomorrow's Never Enough for Another Day. Or whatever it's called. The post-Goldeneye Brosnans all seem to blend into one. It's the one with the decent boat chase. Oh hell - that means I still have the one with Halle KissofDeath Berry to watch before Skyfall.

Duck Soup. More jokes per minute than - well, probably everything else ever.

The Quiet Man. Who'da thought it. John Wayne in a (hilarious) rom-com. And gorgeous it is too.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40   #172
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Cinderella (BD): As fresh as ever, great songs, fairy tale... though Cindy is drawn almost like a vamp, it's almost scary at times...

Untouchable (inflight): Not even remotely as righteous as you might fear; funny, fast paced and very entertaining.

Silver Linings Playbook (cinema): Outstanding. Lawrence is amazing and old Bobby also puts in a fine performance.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55   #173
godber
Trusted User

In the Name of the Father (TV) - Wow. Can't remember the last film I saw that made me feel so moved and angry.

Imposter (DVD) - Fascinating and 'stranger than fiction' documentary.

24 Hour Party People (TV) - Lots of fun, though I did wonder if Coogan was basically playing Alan Partridge.
godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:44   #174
daboy3000
Gone

Insidious(Netflix) - Scary for scary sake, silly story but **** me up.

Paranormal Activity 3(DVD) - It was ok, made me jump in a few places.

The Skellington Key(DVD) - Crap film, clever idea, not scary at all.
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:00   #175
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

It's Complicated Bit of a guilty pleasure this one. Santa Monica looks lovely and I could watch Alec Baldwin in anything. 8/10

Django Unchained Great performances but lacking the usual Tarantino magic. Some of the Blazing Saddles humour had me sniggering. No pun intended. 8/10

Dark Knight Rises Am I the only person that loved Bane's voice? A bit silly but then it's a film about a man dressed as a bat. 7.5/10

Last edited by Fever Dawg; 05-02-2013 at 17:04.
Fever Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:23   #176
Bish

The Wicker Tree - Utter rubbish, I wasn't expecting anything on a par with the Hardy's classic but this was just dire. One of the worst films I've seen in a long while. It's IMDB score of 4 is way too generous.

Taken 2 - More of the same, pointless but quite enjoyable.

Total Recall (2012) - I'm a bit undecided about this one, it was ok I guess but nothing special.
Old 08-02-2013, 17:54   #177
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Warm Bodies (cinema) - Not really into zombie stuff but this ZomRomCom actually worked, despite somewhat predictable course.

The City of Lost Children (R1) - A curious blend of the beautiful and the ugly, quite often at the same time. Great fun!

The Vertical Ray of the Sun (R1) - Gentle paced family drama from Vietman; outstandingly beautiful cinematography.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:25   #178
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

Porkys (TV) - still as daft as ever.

Wreck-it Ralph (Cinema) - loved it, so many references to gaming, and exceptional voice work from John C Reilly and especially Jane Lynch.

Bullet To The Head (Cinema) - uneven action/shooter from Stallone. Patchy and stupid screenplay, but nice and uncompromising with the violence, lots of claret spilled. Khal Drogo makes a very charismatic baddie, great scrap at the end.

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-02-2013 at 02:27.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:52   #179
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Broadcast News - I feel more sympathy with the William Hurt character as time goes by.

Iron Man 2 - curiously dull and un-engaging, what worked with characters and relationships in the first film (one of its strengths) didn't this time round.

Manhunter - Director's Cut - the one where "Lecktor" was a sideshow. Saw this on video before Silence of the Lambs and loved it, and it's still one of Mann's best. Great stuff.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:26   #180
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Die Another Day. I had to, since I've watched a Bond a week since the set was released. I'm not so sure now that it's the worst of the series. Despite the faults (Madonna's mute button-friendly wailing, the dependably dreadful Berry, a baddy who is equal parts Alan B'Stard, Tim Nice-But-Dim and Alan Partridge, fx that Alan Smithee wouldn't put his name to... and more) it's still fun.

The Imposter. Engrossing documentary with a plot straight from fiction, and I'm glad I didn't watch a trailer. (I still haven't, but I'm assuming it gives away more than I would have wanted to know beforehand. They usually do.)

Sinister. During which, after watching Ethan Hawke bumbling around his bungalow in the dark for an hour or so, I fell asleep.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote