Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 12:45   #341
Zebedee
Trusted User

V/H/S 2 : Utter drivel. The less said about it the better. Total waste of my time.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone : Despite a few good comedy moments, I cant quite put my finger on what was lacking here or why I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. Its possible its just not a very good film.

City Island : Gentle drama-comedy with Andy Garcia. Was most enjoyable and had me laughing out loud a few times. Solid performance from Andy and the rest of the cast too. Best of the 3 by a long shot.
Zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 13:18   #342
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

The Day of the Jackal: When I first saw it in the cinemas back in 1973 I thought that it was a bit tame compared with the red hot book but have grown to like the professional cinematic approach over the passing decades. Quite well made and well acted but just as I had back then, I would still have preferred Michael Caine as the Jackal instead of Edward Fox. 7.5/10

Cloverfield: I am a sucker for well made 'found footage' films and this is certainly one such. Looking at the events from potential victims' viewpoint rather than the authorities makes a refreshing change and the lack of explanation about the origins of the monster adds to the imaginative film. 8/10

Event Horizon: Just saw this on my BD player while waiting for the taxi to take me to the airport. Sort of a sci-fi/Gothic mix with great visuals and good acting. My only complaint is the script is too tight and a steadier build-up would have made it even better. 97 minutes is too short for a film like this and an additional 30 minutes fleshing out various aspects of the storyline could have made it a classic. 7.5/10
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:46   #343
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Man of Steel (cinema): Quite enjoyable but a bit relentless; I found the shaky cam stuff took me totally out of the film on several occasions, and not just during the flashback scenes. As others have said, the fight at the end was pretty bad but I liked how it resolved. The villains were too much cardboard cut outs, especially the sassy female ninja. Where I saw it (Vue) it was so loud at times I had to put my fingers in my ears - that can't be good!

Moonrise Kingdom (BD): Extraordinary, charming and funny; the use of Britten's music is magical. Looks great too with its 1960s 8mm colours.

The Guard (BD rental): Very funny and surprisingly subtle too; Gleeson was great. Excellent short film on the disk as well.
Old 29-07-2013, 13:02   #344
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

The Jackal - Pretty bad apart from the Jack Black gun testing scene. 3/10

Pearl Harbour - First time I've scene this. First two hours are boring. The main attack was a visual feast. Loved the planes flying over Hawaii on the approach. 8/10

Once Upon a Time in China - This was overly long but watching Jet Li* in his prime is still amazing. 7/10

*Seagal would have totally kicked his ass.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 13:43   #345
SIMON ADEBISI

The Paperboy. Awful *****. Dont be tempted by the big names. Usually i like deep South mystery gothic stuff but this was awful.

Stoker. Pretty but empty. Mia Wachowskia(?) is one to watch though.

The Wolverine. Big disappointment. Any film containing ninjas has no right to be this boring.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:21   #346
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Nightmare on Elm Street - 2010 version, Nightmare on Dull Street

You Can't Take it With You - Thought I'd catch up on some Capra I hadn't seen. A tad too wacky and I saw where Batteries Not Included (which I love) had gotten some of its inspiration.

The Green Lantern - Really very watchable though the CGI was a tad distracting. Robert Ryan was very well cast indeed, shame it doesn't look as if he'll reprise the role.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Down it goes, into my belly...
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 07:19   #347
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
The Green Lantern - Robert Ryan was very well cast indeed
Who?
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:04   #348
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Who?
D'oh! (blush)

Old 31-07-2013, 16:16   #349
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Angel's Melancholy: German reprehensible nasty *****.

It's Alive (remake): Utter rubbish, doesn't even deserve to sit in the vastly superior original's shadow.

Maniac (remake): Excellent, well-acted, superbly directed and always interesting. Loved it.
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 17:21   #350
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Saw all these on board my Korean Air flights to and back from Fiji.

1. A Good Day to Die Hard: Terrible in every sense of the word. Even from DH standards the script is ridiculous, the cinematography uninspiring and characters annoying. Not worth even one viewing. 2/10

2. Oz, the Great & Powerful: Watchable enough with some good special effects but it left me with the feeling that it could have been better. I do not like Mila Kunis and she was worse than usual in this one. 7/10

3. Jack the Giant Slayer: I thoroughly enjoyed this one and was a bit surprised by the lukewarm reviews. Despite being an American made film, the British actors, dialogue and wit made it very watchable and the special effects were great. Eleanor Tomlinson is quite nice - a bit like a young Geena Davis. 8/10
Old 31-07-2013, 22:04   #351
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

Red - thought I'd watch it again before the sequel comes out. Really enjoyable.

The Wolverine - heartless, soulless and ultimately, pointless.

Now You See Me - ranks as one of the worst of the year. Talk about sleight of Hand, his one was Sleight of enjoyment.
Old 31-07-2013, 22:55   #352
mamboboy
Legend

Europa Report - Promising stuff from a pretty much unknown director who copes well with a limited budget. Not overly absurd and (for the most part) how you could imagine a trip to Europa being. 7/10

Oblivion - Wanted to see it mainly because of the Fallout/Mass Effect similarities. Annoying as hell female actress (mostly due to her "roger that" style dialogue) but Cruise was pretty good. It tried to be more intelligent than it eventually was but I was always expecting that. It's sort of like Prometheus in the way it just annoys you more when it finishes and you think about the plotholes! 6.5/10

Spring Breakers - Actually quite enjoyed this. James Franco was awesome, it was nicely filmed, tons of eye candy. Did get the impression a lot of it was just being made up as they went a long though - the ending was completely ridiculous. 6/10

Last edited by mamboboy; 31-07-2013 at 23:01.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19   #353
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,026 Times in 452 Posts
Gangster Squad Meh, very average, had to wait ages for to come available to rent on LF and while the sets looked nice. It felt really soulless with some actors just phoning it in. Sean penn looked like he had a rubber face mask on and hard to take serious as the most feared bad guy - 5/10

Welcome the the punch Much better film although they must of applied a blue filter to almost every out door shot to make it look gritty and "cold london" 7/10
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09   #354
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Stigmata Thought I'd revisit this one, not such a bright idea. Good cast, mind, but poor material....

Laughing Policeman Tracked this down from memories of seeing it in on the Beeb in the late 70s/early 80s. Great vibe to this police procedural but Walter Matthau does seem to sleepwalk through his part.

Mr Smith goes to Washington Taught me all I need to know about the filibuster. Jean Arthur is really quiet lovely in it.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06   #355
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Hard Target - Van Damme's mullet is still awesome 7/10

Beautiful Creatures - Miles better than Twilight. 6/10

The Flying Deuces
- Comedy genius. 7/10

Gangster Squad - Fluffy version of The Untouchables. 6/10
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21   #356
cold187
CallMeMrKane

Red Dawn - 6/10 seemed abit rushed to me

Purge - 7/10 enjoyed this, reminded me alot like the panic room movie

Only God Forgives - 5/10 personally i didnt enjoy the movie, was abit slow for my liking

PSN/XBL Gamertag: CallMeMrKane
cold187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46   #357
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

1. Insidious: I saw this again in preparation to see The Conjuring. Though quite scary in places and well made overall, the script is slightly unconvincing and does not quite hang together. But good enough to own. 7/10

2. Sphere: IMO, this odd sci-fi creeper is very underrated and is a much better film than most reviews suggest. With a heavyweight cast of Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel Jackson, it has a good script, well photographed and acted. There are similarities to Event Horizon but this film fleshes out characters and events more convincingly. 8/10

3. Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn: Good enough as a standalone film but having grown-up on Tintin graphic novels, the moview comes across as somewhat underwhelming. Also, too much artistic licence by borrowing events from several other Tintin stories. 7/10

Last edited by Raigmore; 06-08-2013 at 12:41.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14   #358
Werdna007
Trusted User

Despicable me 2 - absolutely brilliant comedy film. As good for adults as for children. They done even better than the first IMO. The ONLY and I mean only film I have seen deserved 3D.

Marius then Fanny Ist 2 films of the trilogy. Very good adaptation and directing by Daniel Auteuil. Also starring him, he and the other actors do a fine job on this modern adaptation of the Marcel Pagnol trilogy.

Pacific Rim Amazing special effects and sound. A must see on the big screen. Crap story. This film is so full of clichés it's unbelievable. As usual, 3D wasted on this. Badly done.
Werdna007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05   #359
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

The Amazing Spider-Man (BD rental): Surprisingly good - I had thought it too soon for a reboot but this was quite fresh. I thought Garfield was excellent in this role.

Monsters University (cinema): Enjoyable enough, but is further evidence of Pixar's slide into the average.

The Lost World (offair): Takes idiocy to an entirely new level.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44   #360
Guest 85639
Non-Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
The Jackal - Pretty bad apart from the Jack Black gun testing scene. 3/10
I quite enjoyed The Jackal obviously not as good as the original,Gere's oirish accent was a bit off though.
Guest 85639 is offline   Reply With Quote