Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 17-04-2013, 16:54   #281
richie-t
Dick Stallion

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I hope you're talking about Cronenberg's amazing film and not that dreadful piece of hand-wringing hollywood ****!
I am talking about that hand-wringing Hollywood ****, as you call it!
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 11:55   #282
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

The Place Beyond the Pines (cinema): Very good, nice to have a film that does not follow the expected course.

The Pirates in an Adventure with Scientists (BD rental): Really liked this - there are so many funny details going on that you have to watch on disk so you can pause and look at stuff.

Close Encounters (BD): I am split by this film: on the one hand, it is so good, with some lovely cinematography/lighting, and I well remember the huge impact it had when it first came out (in fact, you really shouldn't watch it on anything other than a huge screen in a darkened room); on the other hand, it does have some irritating Spielbergisms - the child/father/authority figure issues, the incessant babbling and surging crowds (does he have a thing about these?), the threatening/overpowering environment. I suppose it was innovative in that the Dreyfuss and Dillon characters are actually the children... but so are the aliens
Old 22-04-2013, 17:56   #283
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Insomnia - the Christopher Nolan version with Pacino and Robin Williams, haven't seen the original. Good while watching it, doesn't seem to linger, though....

John Carter - There's a better film in there waiting to get out, perhaps, but I really liked it. Taylor Kitsch was decent in the lead.

Infernal Affairs I-III - gorgeous, loved all of them, perhaps the sequels as much as or even more so than the first.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Down it goes, into my belly...
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:08   #284
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Return of the Jedi. I thought my chum was joking when he told me Lucas had replaced the original Anakin with that girl's blouse Christensen in the final scene. Imagine my horror... I don't consider meself a fanboy but that makes no logical sense whatsoever, especially as we've just seen Sebastian Shaw under the helmet. Lucas really is a prize turnip. That was the last of the trilogy blu-rays, which I thought were adequate at best in the pq department.

Detachment. Never been much of a Brody fan but he went up in my estimation with this tale of a substitute teacher. Well cast, and at times uncomfortable to watch.

Jack Reacher. A very well crafted thriller. Great cast - Jenkins and Duvall are always worth it, Herzog is creepy as hell and Pike, thankfully not just there as love interest, has nowt to be ashamed of. Excellent action scenes that aren't allowed to dominate (even though one fight is a bit too Three Stooges). Concerns that Cruise is as well suited to the role as Janette Krankie didn't bother me as I haven't read any of the books.

Last edited by Wowbagger; 24-04-2013 at 10:19.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 09:41   #285
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Rushmore (cinema, but a DVD): I love this film more each time I see it and it was great to see it on the big screen, even if the DVD source had slightly muddy colours and edge enhancement; I think seeing it with an audience enhanced the experience a lot and you quickly forget issues with the source and just simply enjoy it.

Treasure Planet (R1): I like this more than I should, and despite the annoying sidekicks. Animation is top notch though as usual with Disney of this period the CGI jars a bit.

Gregory's Girl (R1): Another perfect film from Bill Forsyth; but where is Comfort and Joy? DVD seems to be deleted and going for silly money
Old 28-04-2013, 20:40   #286
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

The Pawn - Great little film, bit of a copout ending though.
8/10

God of Vampires - Awful. Looked like it was filmed on a phone camera with people just dragged in off the street. Student actors could at least try to act, this lot were just dreck. Lasted half an hour. Giving it absolute zero, -273 / 10
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:23   #287
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Sinister - Mildly scary. Good first half let down by a so-so 2nd half, and the
was done better 30 years earlier in Tenebrae. 6/10

I didn't come here to die - Quite amusing, low budgeter about 6 volunteers dying out in the woods whilst camping. A bit like Tucker and Dale... without the titular characters. Has the best 'chainsaw in someone's face' scene I've seen in quite a while, mind. 5/10

Snuff 102 - Well-made but poorly-intentioned sickening rubbish. Almost on a par with AU Mordum in how much it made me hate the director for filming it, but not quite. 1/10
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:31   #288
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

The Last Stand (2013)-kick ass 80's style fun 3.5/5

Maniac (2013)-bleak, nasty, loved it 4/5

Lords Of Salem (2012)-painfully bad, give it up Zombie. 1/5
Old 29-04-2013, 13:27   #289
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Did you rent Lords of Salem through the 360 dash? I saw it on there the other day and planned to rent it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10   #290
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Silent Running (BD): Beautiful but mildly frustrating. Amazing how good it looks considering its budget!

Iron Man Three (cinema): Excellent - really enjoyed this. A lot better than number 2.

The Phantom Menace (R2): Twenty years on and the 1970s modelwork still looks much better than all this lifeless CGI. It passes the time but suffers from a total lack of tension or humour - if it had those, I could forgive the rest!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30   #291
LooNaTiK
Aaarrrrggghhhh!

Jack Reacher
The Doors
Angel Heart

LooN
LooNaTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22   #292
mrsteve
Father of the Son

The Myth - good fun. Mallika Sherewat is a sweetie.

Fatal Move - Decent "weighty" part for Sammo.

The Raid - just didn't like it. Getting too old....

Old 04-05-2013, 22:39   #293
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

The Punisher - loved this. Brutal, with Travolta on top ham form.

Red State - Decent premise, mediocre execution.

Dead fall - Crime thriller made just about average by Olivia Wilde.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57   #294
gap
Trusted User

What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Skyfall (BD) - Still very enjoyable on a second watch, if the plot holes and implausibilities are more annoyingly obvious. Judi is fabulous. 7/10

The Silence of the Lambs (DVD) - Its been a while, but thankfully this was just as good as remembered. 9/10

Ted (DVD) - Amusing but not much more. A few laughs but mostly chuckles. Didn't like Ted at all and thought the funniest bits were those he wasn't involved in. May have enjoyed it more had Seth McFarlene hired someone else to do the voice. Disappointing. 6/10

Last edited by gap; 06-05-2013 at 08:58.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:52   #295
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Attack of the Clones (R2): Better than the first one. Lee is always good value.

Sherlock Holmes (BD): Very enjoyable.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (cinema): Another quiky delight from Anderson; loved the location shooting.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10   #296
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Bait (2012) -good honest cheap and cheerful monster flick 3/5

I Give It A Year (2013)-better than expected 4/5

Tucker & Dale Vrs Evil (2012)-second viewing, just as funny 4/5
Old 09-05-2013, 21:41   #297
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Life of Pi. While it undoubtedly looks superb, the fx are quite variable. The shipwrecking is damned impressive; as for the animals, as with cgi humans, very close is the same as nowhere near. I found it quite easy to tell the real tiger from the fake one, which occasionally took me out of the action. An engrossing watch though.

Insidious. Poltergeist without the television. Very well done in places but the relentlessly cheap loud noise department going into overdrive in the last half hour prevent it from being better.

Rust and Bone. Excellent performances and a director who excels at making things realistic, in a drama concerning the rocky road to love between a bare-knuckle fighter and a cyborg.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25   #298
gap
Trusted User

What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Hannibal (DVD) - Not as tight as Silence of the Lambs but almost as enjoyable. Definitely a huge improvement over the book and deliciously darkly comic. 8/10

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (BD) - Great fun. Better than the first, although not massively. Jared Harris is fabulous and the forest sequence is beautiful. 7.5/10

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (BD) - Didn't know anything about this and was all the better for it. Hugely enjoyable little thriller that goes off in directions I didn't expect. Very like Payback. 7.5/10
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32   #299
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Star Trek Into Darkness - excellent entertainment 9/10

Last Stand - Just a bit average and shallow. Arnie back with a more grown up film was good though. 6/10

Hansel & Gretal Witch Hunters - erm, not as bad as expected but by no means good. Worth a single watch though. 5/10
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19   #300
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Jesus Christ Superstar - really well visualised and evergreen. Carl and Ted are great, particular kudos to Barry Dennen.

The Immortals - I really liked The Fall but had low expectations of this after the criticism. Actually, enjoyed it hugely. 300 meet the Titans.

Battleship - poor first 20 minutes where ID4 shows just how it should be done, but picks up afterwards. Cheesy with more cheese but ended up good fun.