Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 05-04-2013, 12:39   #261
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Cloud Atlas (cinema): Really enjoyed this, works as a perfect cinematic experience.

True Grit (1969 - C4HD): Truly great, stunning photography too.

Breaking Dawn pt2 (BD): A celebration of those great American virtues of money, power, wealth, violence and no sex before marriage.
Old 06-04-2013, 15:23   #262
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

How I Spent My Summer Vacation. Realising (after everyone else did) that finding himself up a beaver's bum was not a wise career move, Gibson returns to what he does quite well.

Brassed Off. Excellent comedy-drama with Postlethwaite on top form, backed by a sterling cast of familiar faces. And Gloria Stitz.

The Hobbit. A few points of interest (Freeman is well cast) brighten up an otherwise lazy, leaden, generic fantasy action padfest with far too much obvious and gratuitous cgi. The dwarves are a pretty faceless and boring group with only Ken Stott standing out. Veers from the brainlessly acceptable to the embarrassing (Dame Edna as the goblin king, and magic bunny sleigh-chases? **** off.)
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 23:15   #263
Guest 27599
Trusted User

Rampage Uwe Boll shows promise. Ultimately didn't work for me.

The Hurt Locker Deserves all the credit it's had. Compelling viewing.

Tyrannosaur Well made, wonderfully acted, hard to watch. Not as unremittingly bleak as advertised. But pretty bloody bleak.
Guest 27599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42   #264
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Biutiful (BD rental): Grim and, err, beautiful. I liked the way it never gave up on its tone. Interesting video diary from the director which shows how gritty and dark they made Barcelona compared to actual!

Local Hero (R1): Perfect.

Spiderman (BD): Seriously average PQ on this Sony disk - it could be a DVD. The film works well within the bounds of its genre and Maguire is convincingly geeky.
Old 07-04-2013, 15:21   #265
mamboboy
Legend

Dredd: Held off watching this for some reason, but really enjoyed it. I have a real soft spot for this type of dystopian sci-fi. Only bad point was Lena Headey was a bit of a guff baddy.

Grabbers: Beautifully shot, beautiful locations and a very pretty lead female. Starts off promising but not really any real laughs and found myself drifting off and checking how long was left toward the end. Promising director but I think this is probably the wrong genre for him...

Cloud Atlas
: Another one I'd held off watching, runtime sort of put me off, but I found myself wishing it was longer by the end. The only part I didn't like was the ridiculous dialogue between Halle Berry and Tom Hanks in one of the eras. You'd know which one if you've seen it!

Last edited by mamboboy; 07-04-2013 at 15:26.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 16:10   #266
PAZ
Twiddler

Picking up the Pieces - DVD. Good, inventive, lightweight comedy.

Sightseers - local cinema club. English black comedy at its very best.

The Cat Returns - on TV now. Atrocious. Animation that hasn't progressed since Marine Boy and the worst, most inappropriate voice characterisations I can remember. Just awful. Turned off.
PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:55   #267
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Primal Fear - Brilliant. Despite knowing this off by heart, it's still a great watch.

Kiss The Girls - A little daft, but love Judd and Freeman.

Jack the Giant Slayer - Surprisingly half-decent and full of cheese. And surprisingly my local had the 2D version Loved the set up for a possible sequel...now that would be excellent.

Loads of great trailers too - Pacific Rim, Trek, Oblivion and Iron Man 3....sci-fi-tastic. Excited.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 21:42   #268
Guest 68726
Trusted User

Days Of Heaven - Strange but beautiful film

Take Shelter - Absolutely fantastic. Not sure how this passed me by. Will keep a keen eye out for what the director does next

Black Narcissus - Another beautiful film - first time Ive seen it
Guest 68726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 18:50   #269
Guest 12859
Iron Mind.

A Prophet - 9/10

Excellent. One of the best mob movies I've watched, would put it up there just behind Goodfellas.

Rust and Bone - another 9/10 from me. Equally awesome.

The chap from Bullhead plays his character superbly, as does Marion Cotillard. I read a review of this film that said "you don't know why, but you just don't want to it to end and want to know what happens next in their lives" and its totally true.

I Spit on Your Grave (2010) 5/10

Not bad. Wouldn't watch it again, but filled a few hours. A few reviews I'd read described it as 'horribly disturbing' but I wouldn't go that far - rape scenes are never pleasant though.
Guest 12859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:14   #270
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,072 Posts
I've had a bad week, catching up with films I'd not yet seen -

Prometheus - 5/10 - even after the bad reviews, this still disappointed - and I quite like 3 & 4 ! Watched late night with the lights off/sound up, and still had several unintentional LOLs - why do the studios/directors dick about with this franchise so much ? Just give us what we want ! (Fassbender was great though.)

Speed Racer - 5/10 - I could see what they were trying to do, and would've looked awesome at the IMAX, but too many un-involving racing scenes made me motion-sick ! Best comedy ape scenes since Clyde (& Clint).

Looper - 6/10 - I'm a big fan of the 2 leads and *so* wanted to enjoy this, but Gordon-Levitt's prosthetics distracted me too much in the first half, and by the change of pace in act 2 I'd lost most of my interest. And Hollywood - enough already with the 'cool' guns, ott shooting scenes and invincible heroes.
driver8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 19:23   #271
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post

Jack the Giant Slayer - Surprisingly half-decent and full of cheese. And surprisingly my local had the 2D version Loved the set up for a possible sequel...now that would be excellent.
I liked it too. The sites 4/10 review is ridiculous.
Fever Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 14:00   #272
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Star Wars. That's what it was called when I first saw it, and that'll always be its name to me. To call it 4 is to acknowledge the existence of 3 stinkers.

Walkabout. A relatively recent blu release of the skinnydipping schoolgirl classic, and proof that Universal haven't yet sacked the joker who's been slipping DVDs into blue boxes. It's not only standard-def quality, it's sub-par standard def.

Schindler's List. Thankfully, Universal didn't **** this one up.
Old 14-04-2013, 14:19   #273
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Only 3 Star Wars Films to me as well.Still got my Original Widescreen VHS.Special Edition VHS and DVD of Original and Special.Dont have Blu-ray.Dont have any of the 'other 3' although have seen them on TV and not even Natalie Portman in various outfits can save them.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 11:06   #274
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Micmacs (BD): A glorious piece of filmmaking... you see so much more on a second viewing. Some good extras on this US disk marred by the type of annoying implementation that belongs in the dustbin of DVD history - a whole slew of forced trailers and no resume function.

Spiderman 2 (BD): See previous entry.

The Hobbit (BD): For a film that has so much going on it was pretty boring. It is also a slave to its time, with Freeman's 21st century mannerisms becoming increasingly irrirating and out of place.
Old 17-04-2013, 12:48   #275
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

The Empire Strikes Back. Not much to say about this one. I'll settle for 'I've always thought it drags in the swamp, but Fisher is considerably less frumpy than she is in Star Wars'.

What Richard Did. Incorporating What Richard Did Beforehand and What Richard Did Next, an unhurried (though short) drama about something and its consequences. Really helped by excellent, natural performances from all concerned.

Total Recall (2012). A mystery - on the one hand it's full of references to the film it's remaking, but then the plot is changed to the extent that they don't even go to Mars. I can't even remember what plot they had instead, and I only watched it last night. Too reliant on chases (at times it's more like a remake of The Terminator with Beckinsale in the cyborg role), far too much cgi clutter, and nothing really of any particular interest. Only plus point is, in Beckinsale and Biel, a higher class of totty than the original - Biel even manages to project some sort of screen presence when all she does is run round after Farrell.
Old 17-04-2013, 13:03   #276
SIMON ADEBISI

Good Vibrations - comedy drama about a man and his music. Set in Belfast during the troubles. Well worth a watch.

A Place Beyond The Pines. Oddly paced but solid drama about the repercussions of violence. Great acting from all involved.

Olympus Has Fallen. Very silly, full of plot holes, cliched as hell and overlong. Bit hugely entertaining. Ridiculously violent for a 15 cert film too. If the bombing footage in the news affected you, you may want to give this a miss.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 13:15   #277
richie-t
Dick Stallion

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Blue Valentine - Thought this was really good, an interesting look at a failing relationship. Michelle Williams was brilliant. 8/10

Crash - such a good film, definitely one of my favourites. Not much to fault about it. 9/10

The Thing (1982) - Can't believe I'd actually never seen this before, but I imagine it's special effects were quite good for the time. Struggled to keep track of who was called who though! 7/10
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 14:21   #278
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Untouchable - Absolutely loved this. Moving and hilarious in equal measure with fantastic performances all round.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Really tried to like this but it didn't grab me in the slightest. Although the running time was short I was done with it long before it ended. It was good to see a different side of the USA though.

Bad Teacher - Yet another modern mean spirited comedy with absolutely no likeable characters. A couple of laughs here and there but most of the time I was wanting to turn it off. I miss comedies when they give you someone to root for rather a load of ***** who you wouldn't **** on if they were on fire.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 15:39   #279
mamboboy
Legend

Biutiful - Loved it. I have a soft spot for bleak and sombre films and this was pretty much perfect. One of the most satisfying endings to a film I've seen. The critics who gave it a bad rating for being depressing really need to reevaluate their careers!

A Haunted House - Sex jokes, fart jokes. If you've seen one film written by the Wayans, then you've seen them all. It's a shame Marlon lowers himself to this because he shown in Requiem for a Dream that he more than has it in him to do better!

Bernie - Hadn't heard of this until a few days ago. Black comedies are few and far between so I thought I'd check it out. Jack Black usually grinds my gears but thought he was really good in this seeing as his role didn't completely entail jumping about and shouting. Definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by mamboboy; 17-04-2013 at 17:04.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 15:55   #280
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie-t View Post
Crash - such a good film, definitely one of my favourites. Not much to fault about it. 9/10
I hope you're talking about Cronenberg's amazing film and not that dreadful piece of hand-wringing hollywood ****!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote