Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 06:49   #221
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

To the Wonder (cinema): Beautiful, hypnotic, frustrating, perhaps a shade too long.

(DVD): Pure delight! I'd forgotten how funny it is.

Three Colours: Red (DVD): Also beautiful and hypnotic, lovely use of red (of course); Irene Jacob
Thanked once by:
bruce-leroy (06-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14   #222
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Argo - Intense stuff. 8/10

The Artist - Extremely well made. 7.5/10

Expendables 2
- Good fun. 6/10
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:01   #223
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Demons - 80s Italian gore-fest. Quite surprised I'd never seen it before. Some of the grue made me feel quite queasy & the helicopter bit came out of nowhere, but the motorcycle+samurai sword bit was ace & the pimp character was hilarious. Great soundtrack too.

Demons 2 - More of the same. Some half decent effects, a terrible rubber puppet that was more cute than scary, & the pimp was back, now running a gym. Good fun! Not quite sure what the point of the punks in the car subplot was though.

The Bay - Barry Levinson's 'found footage' eco-horror. Not usually a fan of the genre as the camerawork usually makes me nauseous, but I enjoyed this. Two bits really made me jump & the leading lady's trousers were very very tight.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 00:25   #224
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Another Earth - A little slow, but an interesting journey. I would have liked more sci-fi, but I get that wasn't the point.

Safe Haven - Very enjoyable up until the ridiculous last few minutes, mainly due to the hugely watchable leads.

Killer Elite - Didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. Decent enough way to spend a Friday evening though.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36   #225
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Skyfall. Love it on the whole but suspect the little niggles will develop into big niggles on further viewings. Lack of spazcam alone ranks it above QoS.

Woochi the Demon Slayer. Fun, but probably not too memorable, and unless something was lost in the subs they weren't demons but naughty-step wizards and goblins in the guise of six-foot bunnies.

Killing Them Softly. Aka 'Talking Them to Death'. Tries so hard to be Tarantino it probably has 'This way, Quentin' tattooed across its but-tocks.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20   #226
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Trouble with the curve (inflight): Eastwood does his gruff old man persona to perfection but Amy Adams steals the show and the heart; very enjoyable.

Wreckit Ralph (inflight): A lot better than I expected - I'm not a gamer - and surprisingly moving at times.

50/50 (BD rental): Really good - not only are Levitt and Kendrick excellent but Rogen turns in a surprisingly nuanced performance.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31   #227
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Crazy, Stupid, Love - Terrible. 3/10

Returner - Too long. Too boring. 2/10

Insidious - Not as effective the second time round but still a decent horror. 6.5/10
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52   #228
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Red, White & Blue-Brutal drama 8/10

The Brass Teapot-enjoyable fluff, Juno Temple 7/10

The Funeral Kings-hugely enjoyable coming of age comedy/drama with a great young charismatic cast 9/10
Old 11-03-2013, 18:38   #229
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Obsession. De Palma in full Hitchcock mode, with superb Hermann score.

Somebody Up There Likes Me. Young Newman in barnstorming form in irascible pugilist biopic. Dazzling photography; really hope it reaches blu.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension. The existence of the 80s justified, in just an hour and a half.
Old 11-03-2013, 18:52   #230
minister_x
DVDCompare.net Moderator

Robot & Frank - 8/10 - Solid little film with an excellent performance by Frank Langella. Amusing, touching, thoughtful, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Dredd - 8/10 - Never read the comics, never suffered the Stallone version (the trailer was bad enough), didn't hear about it at the cinema and wouldn't have cared for 3D anyway. Very enjoyable, I paid the high price for the HD iTunes purchase in the hope it will help convince them to make a sequel. Will definitely watch it again at some point!

Looper - 9/10 - A little confusing at times, but some more good thought-provoking ideas and well-executed. More intelligent films like this, please!
Old 11-03-2013, 20:16   #231
gap
Trusted User

Four sets of three as it's been a while since I've updated...

The Frighteners (Director's Cut) (BD) - Still awesome 9/10

Stargate (Director's Cut) (BD) - hadn't seen this since its original run in the cinema. Held up much better than I thought it would. The build up in the first 40 minutes or so is fantastic and has a real sense of fun and excitement. It loses that a little once they go through the Stargate but a great matinee movie 8/10

The Avengers (BD) - Just as much fun on the third viewing 9/10

Unknown (TV) - Slightly above average thriller with a few well-staged action scenes and a cracking performance from Bruno Ganz. Too long 6/10

The Crazies (2010) (TV) - Enjoyable and at times very tense with Sheriff Bullock in good form. Felt very like the DOTD remake. Haven't seen the original 6/10

A Good Day to Die Hard (Cinema) - When in with low expectations but still shocked at the awfulness. Nonsensical, racist and boring. Abyssmal 1/10

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Sweden, 2009) (TV) - Not sure what all the fuss was about. It was a fairly pedestrian whodunnit that suffered from the suspects and their motives being crammed into a voiceover and a photograph slideshow. Noomi Rapce was great though 4/10

The Girl Who Played with Fire (TV) - More of the same but with a lower budget and slower pace. The big twist was almost too much to take 3/10

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (TV) - Only bothered with this to see what would happen. Not much as it turned out. Lots of sitting about 3/10

Dredd (BD) - Very enjoyable. Haven't read any of the comics and can't really remember the Stallone version. Loved the look and style. Would love a sequel 8/10

A Bittersweet Life (DVD) - A bit late to the party with this one. Found it very stylish but ultimately unengaging. Some cracking action sequences and a fantastic central performance 6/10

Titus (DVD) - Fabulous. Visceral and exciting with some stunning performances (Harry Lennix, Anthony Hopkins, Alan Cumming). Certainly one of, if not the, most accessible of all the Shakespeare films 8/10

Last edited by gap; 29-03-2013 at 15:44.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 22:34   #232
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Journey 2 - Average family movie. Very watchable but more of a TV movie.

Hansel & Gretel - Pretty awful and totally forgettable. Basically a slightly more brutal Van Helsing.

The Tall Man - a relatively original thriller. Low budget but pretty interesting. Films like this are the reason I've resubscribed to Netflix.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 22:42   #233
SIMON ADEBISI

Moonrise Kingdom. A letdown despite the pedigree of the acting & direction. More Rushmore & less Fantastic Mr Fox please.

Stitches - Ross Noble in panstick, ripping intestines out and throwing umbrellas through annoying teenagers heads. Whats not to love.

What Richard Did - Cracking little Irish film about how one bad night on the ale can change everything. 2nd time seeing it and it was better on the 2nd viewing too. The lead, Jack Reynor is replacing Shia LaBeouf in the new Transformers flick so see him before Bay gets his mitts on him.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:48   #234
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Stranger Than Fiction. A straightish role for Ferrell - so it's funnier than any of his comedies.

The American. An engrossing slow burner, occasionally very tense and with dialogue that thankfully isn't bending over backwards to be 'cool'.

Prometheus. Over 40 years since 2001 and we still can't see a spaceship whizz past without hearing its bloody engines. Mind you, it's manned by eejits who go into an uncharted cave six hours before bedtime armed only with penlights.
Old 16-03-2013, 23:48   #235
minister_x
DVDCompare.net Moderator

The Hunger Games - 7/10 - Very enjoyable and entertaining film. Having seen Battle Royale I feared this would be a bowdlerised rubbish Hollywood affair, but it wasn't. Saw it on Netflix, so that's this month's sub made worthwhile!

Life of Pi - 8/10 - Went into this not knowing what to expect (have the book, but not yet read it) and, having seen reviews, being intrigued as to how much of a religious theme the plot had. A visually beautiful film, which looked gorgeous in HD, the story was interesting enough and had a thought-provoking ending, which I think might make me rewatch the film and/or read the book soon! Also very glad the actual film didn't feature that godawful Coldplay song that the trailer (and basically every trailer the BBC has made recently) did. Not that it would have, but its absence is appreciated!

The Conversation - 9/10 - Hadn't seen this before but Gene Hackman's performance was brilliant and I enjoyed the pacing, even though I'm sure by today's standards people might consider it to 'drag'. Another Coppola film with a young Harrison Ford in it too!
Old 18-03-2013, 14:03   #236
Guest 68726
Trusted User

Blazing Saddles - Daft as ever, although I didnt laugh as much as I used to

Hobbit, Unexpected Journey - Much preferred seeing this at 24fps, and more anjoyable for it

Sinister - Pretty effective and quite scary. Surprised to he hear the mighty Boards of Canada song at the end, which was a bonus

Last edited by mcvitie; 18-03-2013 at 14:06.
Guest 68726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 21:56   #237
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

Godzilla v's Mecha Godzilla 2
Godzilla v's Space Godzilla Made around the same time as the woefull hollywood remake and shows the yanks how a godzilla film should be made. Awesome cheese fests of the highest order. 9/10 x2
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 12:54   #238
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Robot And Frank-wonderfully warm comedy/sci-fi/drama 4/5

Ray Harryhausen:Special Effects Titan-great documentary on a movie legend 5/5

Parker-Statham kicks arse (again) 3/5
Old 22-03-2013, 06:18   #239
bosque
Trusted User

The Master (It should have been about how good the Cause was and what it had achieved. We didn't need a character telling us it was all claptrap and a ruse to take rich people's cash. That's obvious, Paul, and we already knew it before we sat down to watch your terrific movie.)

On The Waterfront (Marlon and Eva Marie Saint's glove in the Hoboken park.)

Moonrise Kingdom. (I didn't like the kiddy sex thing which was going on and had to look away in disgust, but great performances from the cast.)

All great movies with terrific soundtracks, the best soundtrack being Moonrise Kingdom's with an end credit sequence so good I played it over and over again.

Last edited by bosque; 22-03-2013 at 06:20.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 06:34   #240
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Shutter Island - DiCaprio is great in this, and I'm not usually a fan.

Miller's Crossing - I still like it very much, but it feels more of a pastiche than ever.

Legendary Amazon - Haha, not one for the Red Cliff crowd, perhaps, mad as an illegitimate person. Enjoyed it hugely.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Down it goes, into my belly...
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote