Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 20:29   #2281
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

2 Netflix ones

The old guard 8/10 a great action movie about a band of immortals

Then

The Eurovision contest 8/10 again a very pleasing comedy movie, I like soppy singing rom cons so probably not for everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
dvdphile (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:12   #2282
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

1. Night of the Demon (1957): BD (Indicator's superb Limited Edition package). Great film, very well scripted and directed. Niall MacGiniss is terrific as the creepy Julian Karswell. The 'scares' are tame from modern standards but it is an interesting and well made thriller. 8/10

2. The Birds: Prime Video HD. I go on and off with Hitchcock films but this is one of my likes. Good script and cinematography more than make-up for limited characterization and acting. 7/10

3. Seven Days in May. BD. One of John Frankenheimer's 'paranoia' thrillers from the 60s, this one is based on the bestselling novel. Well made but considering the breathtaking plot, I felt that Frankenheimer missed some opportunities and left a few loose ends. 7.5/10
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 13:21   #2283
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Black Sunday. (Inadvertently picking up Dr Raigmore's John Frankenheimer ball and running with it.) 1977 terrorism thriller in which the dastardly plan is to fly a tv camera blimp over a Superb Owl game and set off a doozy of a bomb with 200,000 steel darts in it. It hasn't aged awfully well. Bruce Dern is dependable as ever as the baddy (Frankenheimer continuing the Manchurian Candidate 'US serviceman kidnapped and turned against Uncle Sam' theme) but Robert Shaw is miscast as the Israeli rozzer on his tail - sounding and looking uncomfortable with funny accent and, if not exactly blackface, certainly blackhair. It's still not a bad thriller, but far too long, and really only gets going in the final third.

The Day After Tomorrow. An initially not bad* but ultimately pretty pedestrian disaster epic about an ice age that nobody but Dennis Quaid and pals saw coming. It might be just me, but if half the world was suddenly irrevocably freeze-dried, out of all the millions of possible blockbuster plots, they chose 'Quaid walks through snow for an hour' as the one to light up our screens with.

* - for a Roland Emmerich film.

Greyhound. Ever watch a film that you thought so bad that you think you’ve woken up in an alternate universe when all the reviews you read are positive? This is what you get when no single aspect of a production rises above mediocre – it gets exponentially bad, bad, bad. This is my worst film of the year hands down (and I’ve endured the whole of the Craptabulous Diversity Checkbox of Joker’s Girlfriend). Hanks proves he CAN phone it in – so logically he must have a green screen at home, because he’s never away from one here. No tension, flat direction, often adequate but just as often not cgi; I doubt there is a single genuine exterior shot in it. And I won't mention the score because it isn't worth one. Apart from that one.

But it all had to start somewhere, and well done Mr Hanks for producing one of the worst scripts ever written; you can see “oh god in heaven what have I done” lurking behind his eyes in every scene. If you don’t believe me, watch poor (token woman) Elizabeth Shue in the opening scene and tell me she doesn't look as though she's acting at gunpoint. After that – and I’d back this up with a printed screenplay and highlighter pens if I could be bothered or there was money in it – about 90% of the lines are just “torpedo coming! hard to port! depth charges away! that was close! blippy things on sonar captain!” That is all there is in the script. There isn't even a half-hearted attempt at injecting any personal drama, unless you count the (token black) steward who wanders occasionally in with a snack that the captain doesn't eat - because he's stayed up all night protecting the other little computer ships from those damn U-boats! This film deserves to be buried at sea, with lead boots on so it can’t float back to the surface.

But some reviewers do disagree, as is their right. But they’re still ******* wrong. If you want a good naval warfare film, root out The Cruel Sea.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
aprout (14-07-2020), driver8 (14-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 13:35   #2284
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts
primal

Sadly no "full cage" in this film and famke janssen has some really bad botox done, she looks bad. Not a good film at all

Throughbreds

well acted and good main cast but its a film where not much happens but you don't mind
Old 12-07-2020, 14:24   #2285
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,655 Times in 557 Posts
Just looked at Famke Janssen. Christ...

The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:57   #2286
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Just looked at Famke Janssen. Christ...

******** thats Caitlyn Jenner
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:06   #2287
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Greyhound. Ever watch a film that you thought so bad that you think you’ve woken up in an alternate universe when all the reviews you read are positive? This is what you get when no single aspect of a production rises above mediocre – it gets exponentially bad, bad, bad. This is my worst film of the year hands down (and I’ve endured the whole of the Craptabulous Diversity Checkbox of Joker’s Girlfriend). Hanks proves he CAN phone it in – so logically he must have a green screen at home, because he’s never away from one here. No tension, flat direction, often adequate but just as often not cgi; I doubt there is a single genuine exterior shot in it. And I won't mention the score because it isn't worth one. Apart from that one.

But it all had to start somewhere, and well done Mr Hanks for producing one of the worst scripts ever written; you can see “oh god in heaven what have I done” lurking behind his eyes in every scene. If you don’t believe me, watch poor (token woman) Elizabeth Shue in the opening scene and tell me she doesn't look as though she's acting at gunpoint. After that – and I’d back this up with a printed screenplay and highlighter pens if I could be bothered or there was money in it – about 90% of the lines are just “torpedo coming! hard to port! depth charges away! that was close! blippy things on sonar captain!” That is all there is in the script. There isn't even a half-hearted attempt at injecting any personal drama, unless you count the (token black) steward who wanders occasionally in with a snack that the captain doesn't eat - because he's stayed up all night protecting the other little computer ships from those damn U-boats! This film deserves to be buried at sea, with lead boots on so it can’t float back to the surface.

But some reviewers do disagree, as is their right. But they’re still ******* wrong. If you want a good naval warfare film, root out The Cruel Sea.

Agree with the points about Elisabeth Shue (her scenes seem to have been dropped in from a Hallmark movie & she looks terrified) & the almost complete lack of depth to any of the characters, but other than that, it lived up to my expectations from seeing the trailer. I was a little worried when I saw the 90 minute running time, but as roughly 65 minutes of that was one long action scene, I was glued to the screen & thought there was plenty of tension. I had no problems with the direction, CGI or the score. Stephen Graham's accent was terrible though.

But hey, as they say; Opinions are like assholes, Miss Frobisher. Everybody has one, & they all stink...
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
cjanderson (14-07-2020)
Old 14-07-2020, 11:12   #2288
The-Colonel
Trusted User

Little Monsters 4/10 Terrible
The Old Guard 7/10 series coming soon i think.
Bad Education 7/10 Interesting.
The-Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 18:40   #2289
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

1. Red Planet: Amazon Prime HD. Actually, it is a better film than most reviews suggest, certainly watchable. I feel that at least some of the bad press it got was due to fallout from the decidedly inferior Mission to Mars. The pseudo-science is not all that way off and there is nice chemistry between Val Kilmer and Carrie-Anne Moss. 7/10

2. Angel Has Fallen: Trilogy BD. Not bad from point of view of such films, with a bit of brain-to-let, of course. Certainly an improvement over London Has Fallen and with it, Mike Banning has joined John McLane and Jason Bourne in the indestructible brigade. 7/10

3. Bunny Lake is Missing: Amazon Prime HD. Excellent psychological suspenser from Otto Preminger. Probably the only film where Carol Lynley is not only perfect for the role but has also acted well. Kier Dullea (later of 2001 fame) also impressive as her psychotic brother. 8.5/10
Old 16-07-2020, 19:21   #2290
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

The Good Liar - Mirren & mckellan are excellent and the film starts well but it tries to be too clever with plot twists then another twist.

The twists are too far fetched and the ending was too people talk about "subvert expectations" but most writers don't know how to do it

5/10
cjanderson (16-07-2020)
Old 16-07-2020, 20:55   #2291
cjanderson

I liked good liar. But it’s the sort of film I’d watch with my 70 year old mum in the afternoon.

Old 17-07-2020, 14:11   #2292
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Batman/Superman: Apocalypse Prime Video, lots packed into a short runtime. Wonder Woman and Supergirl turn up to.

3.5/5

Jay And Silent Bob Reboot NOWTV, sorry Kevin Smith fans but he is further off form here than he has ever been. Real hard to watch unfunny and reusing jokes 20 years old that referenced movies older than that. The cameos just cringe, god knows why they took part. Putting his kid in it who can't act or better still needs a director who can get a good performance out of her.

0/5

Superman: The Movie Roku, the 3 hour TV version, watch it and you can see why a film is made in the editing. The extra minutes here and there don't add anything, pacing slows to a crawl and poor John Williams score get stretched and extended but not in a good way, stick to the slightly extended version or the theatrical.

2/5 for this version 4/5 for the original
Old 21-07-2020, 18:18   #2293
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Went on an old sci-films binge recently

1. Forbidden Planet: Premium Collection BD. Great transfer and despite its age and obvious dating, this remains a landmark sci-fi film. Considering the parallel to Shakespeare's Tempest, a very interesting storyline as well. Nice to see a youthful Leslie Nielsen. 8/10

2. Journey To The Center of The Earth: Eureka Classics BD. Another excellent transfer. Despite the silly plot and pseudo-science, a great adventure film with very good special effects. Pat Boone is a touch annoying at times but this does not deter from the well scripted and directed film. 8/10

3. Panic In The Year Zero!: Kino Lorber BD. Good enough transfer but the real surprise was the film itself. I had never seen it before and expected a cheapo B-thriller, but it was far from it. Despite the low budget, a sensible script and good acting render it surprisingly realistic. Milland is excellent as he usually is and surprisingly well backed-up by Frankie Avalon. 8/10
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (21-07-2020)
Old 21-07-2020, 22:39   #2294
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Didn't make through Jason and the Argonauts then?
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 08:05   #2295
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Didn't make through Jason and the Argonauts then?
I did, but that's anther story. I saw JATA before those other three but am not certain if I have a dud disc or simply a bad transfer (as discussed in the other thread). There are a few who believe that some sort of electronic glitch can affect the PQ even if the disc appears to be playing normally.

Since you mentioned it, I played a few scenes of JATA on the You Tube channel where the full picture is available on HD. The PQ there was definitely better than on my BD. HMV have asked me to take it to their local store with the receipt and a printout of their email to have the disc tested.
Old 26-07-2020, 12:49   #2296
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Only one this time:

Bad boys for life

Its not terrible and its not great, the first 2 were Micheal bay films and i remember them being dumb fun but this lacks something. The main bad guy is charisma vacuum and dj khalid has bit part and he is ***** terrible

6/10
cjanderson (26-07-2020)
Old 26-07-2020, 13:25   #2297
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111

Deja Vu (2006) - Denzil Washington

Don't know why I chose to rewatch this but I seem to be ignoring newer stuff recently and going back to older films I have already seen.

At least with this one, I have mainly forgotten the plot until about 20mins in.

It's a decent enough film. Quite muted for a Bruckheimer/Tony Scott jobbie and at least it's a different take on the "time travel" genre. Probably lacks a bit of tension in places but I love Denzil (recently rewatched both Equilizer films too).

A decent 6 out of 10 from me.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 13:47   #2298
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post
Deja Vu (2006) - Denzil Washington

Don't know why I chose to rewatch this but I seem to be ignoring newer stuff recently and going back to older films I have already seen.
Aptly named then.
Ono (26-07-2020)
Old 26-07-2020, 14:20   #2299
cjanderson

You only live twice!
1967 bond and blimey to the sexism and not quite racism but something not pc!

Old 26-07-2020, 14:49   #2300
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Midway ROKU, The Remake and a total CGI fest, as such the action has less bite for some reason. Didn't help that there were no subtitles for the Japanese portions of the movie.

2.5/5

Midway ROKU, Original Charlton heston movie. Real planes, ships and historical footage blended in. Add some drama with the son wanting to marry a Japanese American during a time of war.

3.5/5

Altitude TUBI. Oh dear the worst movie I've seen this year, teens on a plane battling a force that may/may not exist do stupid things like hang out of a plane to fix a tail fin. To filming said action instead of helping

0/5