Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 24-02-2013, 15:27   #201
PAZ
Twiddler

Black Hawk Down on TV - much better than I thought it would be. In fact, I really enjoyed it. Probably because I downed half a bottle of whisky whilst watching it.

The Hot Potato - on Sky yesterday. A good old-style British comedy. Superb.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Daniel Craig version) on Sky. I said I'd never watch this as I thought the original Swedish version couldn't be beaten. I was right and I shouldn't have. Apart from it being virtually frame by frame identical the fact it was in English just didn't work for me - even with the other half of the bottle.
PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 15:36   #202
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Side By Side Enjoyable doc about a subject I'm interested in but I felt Keanu let the film down with his monotonous narration and stilted interviewing techniques.

What would have been more interesting for me would have been getting Chris Nolan, Wally Pfister, Steven Soderburgh and David Fincher in a room together to discuss the subject. 3/5

The Undefeated Superb doc about a Mississippi high school football team. Incredible how similar it is to Friday Night Lights. 5/5

Life Of Pi Quite an engaging and visually splendid film marred by some occasionally dodgy CGI in places. 4/5
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 15:56   #203
Matt_Bro14
Trusted User

Life of Pi - Captivating and visually beautiful but I spent most of it feeling strangely distant to it all. Great central performances (both the boy and the CG tiger).

Argo - Solid stuff, propelled by a suspenseful story and entertaining characters but it did feel a bit two dimensional. Very well made but not best picture material.

All Good Things - saw this on DVD last night with the housemates. Odd little drama with Gosling and Dunst which takes two thirds of its run time to get anywhere then slows down and ends. Also includes a jarring 'serious' turn from Kristin Wiig which really threw me, especially as this was only 2010.
Matt_Bro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 17:47   #204
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Juan of the Dead Shaun of the Dead, Cuban style. Laugh out loud funny in places and some inventive set pieces. Fun.

American Mary I think these 2 Canadian twin sisters might just be the new David Cronenbergs of our generation. The film was dark and twisted, always fascinating and almost Lynchian in its weirdness sometimes. But I loved it.

Argo Quite possibly one of the best films of 2012. I still have fingernail marks in my arms where my other half was digging them into me because she was so tense! Just great.
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:23   #205
drush9999
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Daniel Craig version) on Sky. I said I'd never watch this as I thought the original Swedish version couldn't be beaten. I was right and I shouldn't have. Apart from it being virtually frame by frame identical the fact it was in English just didn't work for me - even with the other half of the bottle.
I had the same problem and I like David Fincher movies. Much prefer Noomi Rapace in the Swedish version.
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 19:42   #206
drush9999
Trusted User

Been working my way through the original Halloween movies (yeah I know it's more than three).

Halloween - Still brilliant, I know every line of dialogue annoyingly
Halloween II - Best of the sequels, only one that captures the style of the original
Halloween III: Season of the Witch - Seriously underrated movie, Tom Atkins is cheesy awesomeness personified, and Dan O' Herlihy's audition for Robocop is fantastic.
Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers - My second favourite sequel, Donald Pleasence's best performance in the series.
Halloween V: The Revenge of Michael Myers - Now it all goes wrong, only Danielle Harris & Donald Pleasence save this from being total rubbish, and the ending is just bad
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers - Just terrible
Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later - I like it in some ways, but find it too by the numbers, starts off great
Halloween: Resurrection - Utter bilge
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:37   #207
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

Expendables 2 Awful, just frikkin awful. Chuck Norris just randomly walking around eastern europe with a machine gun and anti tank gear? That was convenient! I think the biggest face off in the film was him and arnie going for the most plastic looking and acting. I also take it there was a cut subplot in which Stallone and the Stath were lovers? 2/10 a couple points for Dolf. If your going to make a homage to 80s action films, make an 80s action film not an "airplane" style charade to 80s films

Red Dawn Really enjoyed it but could of done with a proper ending giving some closure. Just killing the bad guy didnt really work as we all knew there was a bigger bad guy above him. 7/10

Last edited by Wilson; 03-03-2013 at 13:39.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24   #208
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Skyfall (BD): Works pretty well second time round; runs at a nice pace too.

Lawless (in flight): Pretty good, despite it containing LeBoeuf, though I suppose his persona was perfectly suited to the character he was playing. Disappointed that certain plot elements were so predictable...

Side Effects (cinema): Hugely entertaining. Rooney Mara
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36   #209
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Fast 5 - Far too long but a enjoyable action movie despite not bothering to watch the previous sequels.

Perks of Being a Wallflower - I thought this was really terrific. Great performances all round and it was funny and moving in equal measure.

V/H/S Erm... Some nice ideas here and there but it all amounted to not a lot at all. Overall it was boring and uninvolving.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14   #210
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Source Code - Groundhog train. Very enjoyable sci-fi piece; the small cast all put in a decent show & it zips along at a nice pace.

Wreck-It Ralph - story-wise it's pretty standard Disney fare (be yourself!) but it's beautiful to look at & has lots of gaming references to try & spot (if that's your thing of course)

Gran Torino - cobblers, but very entertaining cobblers. Loves me some Clint & I enjoyed this a lot. Not sure about him warbling over the closing credits though.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30   #211
SIMON ADEBISI

The Angels' Share - Really enjoyable little Scottish film about how whisky can change your life. Starts out grim but ends up being very entertaining.

Rust & Bone - Overrated but Marion Cotillard was fabulous as always.

Maniac Cop - I should have left this one to memory. Hasn't held up well at all. Still it has a good genre cast and the arrow bluray looks far nicer than i expected.

Last edited by SIMON ADEBISI; 04-03-2013 at 10:32.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32   #212
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Cars 2. I wasn't expecting much - this one had never appealed to me and I only watched it because it was the only Pixar I hadn't. Well, that's half true. The news that Brave had won a shiny swayed me - and **** knows what the academy's criteria must be if they considered that one the best animation of the year. Cars 2 was a pleasant surprise, and a fun time was had, leaving Brave floundering all by itself in the Pixar substandard barrel.

Returner. Agreeable time-travelly action nonsense, with long flappy coats, acrobatic gunplay and a nifty transforming jumbo jet.

The Passion of Joan of Arc. Those johnnies in the know often cite the title role as possibly the finest acting performance committed to film. I think they may be on to something - Falconetti is utterly mesmeric and at times in the last half hour I think I forgot to breathe. And those twerps who thinks it's pointless presenting old films in high definition should take a look at this pensioner (it's 85). It was shot mainly in close up and the detail on some of these (un-made up) faces is astonishing. Go for the steelbook - it's housed in a very stout sleeve, with a book too, is as sturdy as a housebrick and could undoubtedly serve as an impromptu weapon.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38   #213
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Brave's not top draw Pixar but it's a damn site better than Cars 2.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58   #214
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:20   #215
stu_69
prohibido

I have had a lot of long haul flights lately so all my movie watching has been on a small screen in a cramped space:

End Of Watch - enjoyed it. Liked the main performances but the ending was a bit crap in my opinion.

The Campaign - good throw away fun

Dredd - same as above but more violent than fun.

Here Comes The Boom - seems to be a marmite movie but I enjoyed it at the time. Maybe on a big screen it would have been less enjoyable.

Pitch Perfect - I have watched this film three times (twice due to technical difficulties with ICE system). It's actually a good movie which stands up to repeated viewing although 3 times is enough for me.

Premium Rush - passed the time. JGL is good though. Bad guy is an atrocious actor.

Seven Psychopaths - again passed the time but I had a bit of champagne watching this one and as you know on a plane the effects of alcohol are heightened.

Trouble With The Curve - liked it, good acting and Amy Adams could sit reading the phone book and I would watch

Untouchable/Intouchables - loved it. Had me in tears at the end. Will watch again with the wife.

The Watch - passed the time, could have been so much better.

Chasing Mavericks - ***** movie but I liked it.

Searching for Sugar Man - really enjoyable documentary

Crossfire Hurricane - quite decent documentary on the Rolling Stones

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography - I suppose you would have to be into skateboarding but I enjoyed this one.

We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists - a bit dull with some interesting sections.

There are loads others which I started watching and didn't bother to finish and others which I have just completely forgotten about.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:37   #216
stu_69
prohibido

Another one I watched on a plane

The Imposter - what a bag of arseholes. I honestly don't know what to make of this one. The family are a lot more reprehensible than the French bloke. It made me very angry.
Old 04-03-2013, 18:48   #217
SIMON ADEBISI

Michael Shannon was the bad guy in Premium Rush. He's an outstanding actor. Just not in that film
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 22:11   #218
Herbal
Trusted User

Again more than 3 sorry, keep forgetting to add them when seen them.

The Imposter - Was a very odd film and what a bunch of melons the family are

The Cove - Found this really good and has made me never what to see Dolphins in a theme park. It's shocking!

Senna - Been putting this off for ages. But as not a huge fan of F1 found it moving and tense. You know whats coming but it still hits you when that part comes up. How it was never nominated for an Oscar i never know.

Indie game the movie - Now this i enjoyed, all about indie games on the xbox live game center and all the challenges the go through.

Beyond the mat - (See was in a doco mode the weekend) - Enjoyed this, have not seen it in 13 years and was still painful now. Wrestling is not a sport, its entertainment and this film shows you the pain these guys go through for little reward.

August Rush - Really enjoyed this, the music is excellent. Just don't take it too serious.

Intouchables - Excellent! Funny and drama, both leads are excellent. Don't let the subtitles put you off. Best film seen this year so far.
Herbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 22:15   #219
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbal View Post

Indie game the movie - Now this i enjoyed, all about indie games on the xbox live game center and all the challenges the go through.
Another one I watched lately - very enjoyable little film. That meat boy game annoyed the **** out of me though!
Old 04-03-2013, 22:36   #220
Herbal
Trusted User

Have not play it yet, it looks one of those very annoying games when you get 20 or so levels in.
Herbal is offline   Reply With Quote