Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2011, 20:42   #21
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

They've dropped Spa before now, hopefully never again.
Old 26-10-2011, 00:21   #22
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,682 Times in 568 Posts
Melbourne are always threatening to bin it because of the cost aren't they?

I'd happily lose Singapore, Valencia and Bahrain.
Old 26-10-2011, 02:52   #23
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon007 View Post
Definitely drop Valencia. Isn't Turkey supposed to be dropped? I can't believe F1 won't go to Spa or Melbourne.
I agree about Valencia. The "Euro" GP can go back to Germany to the Nurburgring with Hockenheim being the regular venue for the German GP.

Yes, Turkey is missing from 2012 and I won't shed any tears if it remains that way.

Spa is the best F1 race on the calendar and I cannot believe that anyone will even contemplate dropping it. Just about every driver loves the circuit.

What about France? Is the French GP scheduled to return in the foreseeable future?
Old 26-10-2011, 05:12   #24
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I'll miss Turkey, the locals may not have gone but it has many great corners not just turn 8 and the races have been more entertaining than Valencia, Catalunya & Bahrain put together.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:01   #25
home_bas
Trusted User

I'll be sad to see Turkey gone as well - good track, guess it's just the wrong place for F1.

As been said, Spa has gone in the past, and I wouldn't put it past them to chop it regardless of what the drivers say. Incredible track (I've been to the last 2 and have a 2012 ticket as well ) but it looks far more of a fan's circuit than the corporate shells of the likes of Singapore/Abu Dhabi etc that F1 seems to be veering to.

I've no doubt F1 will pretty much sell to the highest bidder.
Old 26-10-2011, 13:11   #26
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas View Post
I'll be sad to see Turkey gone as well - good track, guess it's just the wrong place for F1.

As been said, Spa has gone in the past, and I wouldn't put it past them to chop it regardless of what the drivers say. Incredible track (I've been to the last 2 and have a 2012 ticket as well ) but it looks far more of a fan's circuit than the corporate shells of the likes of Singapore/Abu Dhabi etc that F1 seems to be veering to.

I've no doubt F1 will pretty much sell to the highest bidder.
Agree with all points. While understandable, the trend to move F1 away from "traditional" European circuits to the ultramodern but characterless "Eastern" venues is really sad. I suppose it is the sign of economic times.

Unless I am mistaken, there were only 8 European races (excluding Turkey, which I do NOT consider as part of Europe - never will) out of 19 this year.

I would like to see a French GP back, only one race in Spain and a Euro GP rotated in countries like Austria, San Marino etc where yearly GPs are not held. One US GP where they can be sure of profitable regular races. Don't mind Argentina and South Africa if the old circuits can be brought back to F1 standards. Eliminate Turkey, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Malaysia, Singapore, India and Korea.
Old 26-10-2011, 15:11   #27
Xeon007
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
Eliminate Turkey, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Malaysia, Singapore, India and Korea.
Not giving the Indian GP a chance then?
Old 26-10-2011, 18:49   #28
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon007 View Post
Not giving the Indian GP a chance then?
Well, even though I am an Indian myself, I detest the idea of the steady "Eastward" movement of F1 that we are now seeing. Also, irrespective of all the hype and glitz for this inagural Indian GP, I know from past experience that the standards will soon start to slip away.
Old 26-10-2011, 19:13   #29
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
I would like to see a French GP back, only one race in Spain and a Euro GP rotated in countries like Austria, San Marino etc where yearly GPs are not held. One US GP where they can be sure of profitable regular races. Don't mind Argentina and South Africa if the old circuits can be brought back to F1 standards. Eliminate Turkey, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Malaysia, Singapore, India and Korea.
I have read discussions about a French GP being shared biannually with Spa, as a way of getting around prohibitive costs. Who knows whether it will come about or not, I hope not

Malaysia and Singapore have good GPs for different reason imo and I would be sad to see them go. Personally, if I could get rid of any of the GP it would be Bahrain and Shanghai. Abu Dhabi is actually a good GP, just not a good race, but I have read stories (I read too many rumour stories on Autosport.com!) about the tract potentially getting reprofiled slightly to assist overtaking. India looks like an interesting circuit and is easy to overtake at when playing F1 2011 So I'll give it a chance this weekend and see how it goes before judging it.
Old 26-10-2011, 19:26   #30
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

New tracks have got to be given at least 3 races just to see if 1, the public continue to go once the hype has worn down and 2, if the actual racing is good. Problem is if you go with just one of those then most tracks qualify, Turkeys fun but empty, Valencias dullville but fairly full.
Old 26-10-2011, 20:10   #31
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardp View Post
Personally, if I could get rid of any of the GP it would be Bahrain and Shanghai.
I don't think anyone is going to be able to keep China out of anything in the future. They virtually control world economy from the backbenches now.
Old 26-10-2011, 23:11   #32
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
Problem is if you go with just one of those then most tracks qualify, Turkeys fun but empty, Valencias dullville but fairly full.
I don't think either Catalunya or Valencia have sold out since Spain had two GPs. They were meant to be rotating as early as next season, before Turkey dropped out and forced them to fulfil their contractual obligations. I think all of these 'Eastern' races are a bit of a fad and after a while governments/people lose interest in them. give it a few years and the number of European races will start going back up.
Old 26-10-2011, 23:25   #33
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I can't help than worry that interest in Britain is about to take a knock as once people lose the chance to watch every race live the casual viewers will drop off and in the end that'll harm ticket sales.

In time after that the industry as a whole will suffer as those kids who watched with their dads won't become engineering students and the teams will lose the future "Adrians". Bernies not playing the long game, he and the investors just want the quick buck.

Last edited by T4V; 26-10-2011 at 23:26.
Old 27-10-2011, 05:22   #34
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
In time after that the industry as a whole will suffer as those kids who watched with their dads won't become engineering students and the teams will lose the future "Adrians".
You're right. In 25 years from now, the media could be talking about the noted F1 engineer Zhu Yang.
Old 27-10-2011, 05:47   #35
Ricardodaforce
Trusted User

Nice that Dallara have confirmed the next generation IndyCar will be named in honour of Dan Wheldon.
Old 30-10-2011, 16:51   #36
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Now that Williams are rejoining forces with Renault from 2012 and there are strong rumours that Kimi Raikkonen is joining them as driver, what are the chances of a few podiums and maybe even a race win? Or is it all too early to say? Sad to see a once all conquering team launguishing outside even the sidelines and struggling to score even points.
Old 30-10-2011, 18:58   #37
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,682 Times in 568 Posts
Even Raikkonen can't make the difference in a dog of a car. They'll be firmly midfield once again IMO unless they come up with something very aggressive that works.
Old 30-10-2011, 20:10   #38
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Even Raikkonen can't make the difference in a dog of a car. They'll be firmly midfield once again IMO unless they come up with something very aggressive that works.
I was going on the supposition that Williams is a very experienced team and had a successful association with Renault in the 1990s. OK, so Adrian the Magician is not there anymore but even without him they might design a competitive enough car. Surprises have happened where good elements have come together - like Brawn team in 2009.

I am not expecting anything so dramatic with Williams Renault even with Raikkonen at the helm but perhaps a few high finishes would add spice to the next season.
Old 30-10-2011, 22:09   #39
richardp
頑張日本

Quote:
I was going on the supposition that Williams is a very experienced team and had a successful association with Renault in the 1990s.
I don't think the Cosworth Engine is the reason that Williams are performing so poorly. It probably is the least competitive of the four engines, but I would say it was more down to the aero side than being underpowered. Lotus have only really stepped up slightly since switching to Renault, and I'd say that was more due to having a whole year to design and manufacture the car, compared to the rush job the new teams had to do for the new season.
Old 01-11-2011, 20:41   #40
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyJ View Post
On the subject of Vettel, he has impressed me more later on this season, with some good passes here and there, and he has grown on me. I don't think he's yet been put under too much pressure though in a world championship (last year, he never led it until the end, and this season has been a walk in the park for him). I'd like to see at least 2 of the top teams on more or less equal terms next season.
Agreed, but Vettel cannot do anything about it, can he. He can only drive the car he is given but at least he was in a "second" team before being given a seat in Red Bull on F1 proven merit (yes, I mean the 2008 Monza win in a Toro Rosso). You have to admit that Hamilton on the other hand had been nurtured for McLaren from his teenage years and handed a seat in a top team on a platter.

All these drivers - Vettel, Button, Alonso, Hamilton or whoever, always try to do their best right from qualifying and so where any driver ends up on the grid is up to both his and the others' performances. If Vettel ends up in pole, he will naturally try to race away and so how can he get that many overtaking opportunities to prove himself? When Hamilton gets a pole, I am sure he too will try to race away and if successful, I doubt he'd bother what his fans or critics think of his passing abilities.

I do not think that Red Bull and McLaren are as unequal as many make it out. Brundle et al repeatedly say that the McLaren has superior straight line speed while the Red Bull has the edge on downforce. Button has beaten Vettel convincingly 3 times this season and has been threateningly close at other times. Whereas Webber, driving the same type of car has Vettel, has struggled to match either although collecting enough points to seem close.
Closed Thread