Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Old 13-12-2010, 16:28   #1
Guest 10924

[News] No more FMA Brotherhood Blu-rays from Manga UK

Comments attached to the News 'No more FMA Brotherhood Blu-rays from Manga UK' on Movies @ The Digital Fix

Today Manga UK has issued a press release which states they will discontinue Blu-ray Disc releases of the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime series. This is due to the combo of high production costs and low sales of Parts 1 and 2 on the format. The series will continue to be released on DV...

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 16:28   #2
Guest 503
Trusted User

I expect they will probably think twice now about releasing other anime titles on Blu-ray as well. But I'm not convinced it's a great loss (other than for those who have started collecting FMA on BD).

I think the real difficulty is balancing the high production costs against setting the right price so that it will sell, and I'm not sure an RRP of £34.99 for individual sets is a good starting point. When Eden of the East came out this month, I found the DVD set discounted to £14.99 (from £24.99), while the Blu-ray was £25.99 (from £34.99). I went for the DVD and it looks terrific. I doubt there is any appreciable difference in quality that makes it worth paying a considerably higher price for the HD version.
Guest 503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 03:42   #3
Shingster
Trusted User

I'd love to know how the production costs can be so high when Manga basically take Madman/Funimation releases and add their logo to them! Have they actually produced a single Blu-ray release in-house?
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 06:49   #4
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

It's a crying shame as FMA Brotherhood was one of the better Animes in recent years, and i probably would have bought the boxset at the right price.

@ Noel, Cel Animation in general the one thing that HD shines at, the difference is staggering and once you watch a couple of anime in HD, you'll think DVD are utter ****.

Last edited by Roberto; 14-12-2010 at 06:50.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 07:40   #5
Guest 18455
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel M View Post
I doubt there is any appreciable difference in quality that makes it worth paying a considerably higher price for the HD version.
I don't agree at all, in the anime Blu Ray releases that I have there is a massive improvement compared to DVD. Everything just looks so much more clear and crisp.
Guest 18455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 10:32   #6
Guest 503
Trusted User

I have no doubt that there is a significant difference in quality with anime in High Definition, it's just that it doesn't matter to me when the quality on DVD is of a sufficiently high standard and considerably cheaper.
Guest 503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 10:42   #7
Moldiver
Contributor/Reviews

Some are really not worth shouting about. I picked up Shigurui: Death Frenzy dirt cheap on blu, and it looks alright, but any problems stem from this annoying trend in anime of having hazy filters everywhere. It's a clean transfer but a tad soft, and I very much doubt a huge improvement over the DVD.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:53   #8
Just Passing Through
Trusted User

Fullmetal Alchemist was animated in 540 and scaled up I believe...

The Blu-ray would look better than an NTSC disc certainly, and especially an NTSC-PAL conversion as UK anime DVDs are.

But Madman has finally started authoring anime DVDs in native PAL, and FMA:B volume 2 from Manga used that source. It's a PAL disc with 576 lines of resolution, and 540 into 576 does go. The DVDs are close to the anime's native resolution now.

Of course you have the 4% PAL speed up to live with. More compression because of the DVD size, and probably upscaling that to a hi-def panel won't be as effective as the original upscale applied to the HD broadcasts and Blu-rays.

But it's nowhere near as bad as the NTSC-PAL discs.
Just Passing Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 23:57   #9
Guest 71588
Trusted User

Sure blu-ray is crisper, but there's not the same gain in level of detail as you get with photography filming. The lines get crisper, colours a bit brighter, that's about it. If you have a good tv already anime DVDs already look good enough in my opinion. I saw Denzel's Story on the Advent Children blu ray and, while obviously high quality, I didn't notice an improvement that would be worth the price hike.
Guest 71588 is offline   Reply With Quote