Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22   #1
Flyer
Trusted User

G20 HDMI "issue" driving me mad! What am I missing?

Kit:
Panasonic 50" G20
Rear connections are HDMI 1, HDMI 2 (ARC), HDMI3.
Side of telly has HDMI 4
Panasonic SC BT230 BD home theatre all in one - Connected to HDMI 2 ARC)
XBOX 360 - (Connected HDMI 4 (on the side)
Wii - connected via component

I used the HDMI2 connection to use the ARC facility to get surround sound from the tv's freesat tuner we use on this & so that anything connected would automatically get played through the SC BT230. I wanted to use HDMI 1 OR 3 to plug the 360 into but it never displays a picture if I do. (These are on the back) Just get a blank screen. If I plug the 360 into HDMI 4 which is on the side, all is good & no worries but it looks crap as the hdmi cable sticks out. I need to use HDMI 2 into the sc bt230 as this is the only connection with ARC.
Any one able to tell me what I'm doing wrong please?
Cheers...
Old 06-06-2010, 19:08   #2
SPB
Balding Member

Presumably you are just getting a blank screen with "HDMI 1" or whatever the channel ident is?

No advice other than trying a different HDMI cable if you can, or a different HDMI device (not the 360) on HDMI 1 and 3 - just to show its not the cable/compatibility with the 360 that is the issue.

Bit odd that HDMI 4 works with it all though.

Hopefully someone with the same setup will be able t advise better.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Flyer (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:49   #3
Flyer
Trusted User

Exactly that SPB, it seems that if the 360 is plugged into hdmi 2, then tht works fine so the cable isn't at fault. When it is plugged into hdmi2, the sc bt230 plugged into either hdmi's 1, 3 or 4 works fine but doesn't output any telly signal into surround sound...hmmm, cheers for trying though but even more head scrtctching to be done today...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:23   #4
Flyer
Trusted User

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! A bust 5m HDMI lead was the culprit. So, as it's going underneath a newly laid floor, behind a newly painted & fitted skirting board & behind a newly plastered & freshly painted wall, I attached a piece of string to the bust one, pulled it all through & now the ******* strings snapped on a piece of something somewhere behind all of that. I then remembered that due to "ARC stuff, I didn't need the 5m optical lead I'd got for this "project" & did the same, tried pulling that through with a poece of string attached to the end & that's now got itself wedged somewhere... The mrs is going mad as we only just finished decorating all this. Gonna have to wait till she's out & cut a bit of the skirting board out, try find the snag & see if it can all be pulled. Only other way I see is to get an HDMI switcher but I don't really want to do this. Bloody cables!!!
Still don't know how HDMI 4 worked ok though??? I stuck another cable in the xbox, plugged it into HDMI 1 & worked absolutely fine...hmmm

Last edited by Flyer; 07-06-2010 at 11:35.
Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 11:43   #5
Flyer
Trusted User

Right, for anyone else having issues, after having gone through 4 or 5, 5m HDMI cables, the only ones which work the way I want them to are from a company called "thatcable", The ones I have bought have all manner of magical shielding & stuff & excellent, excellent customer service from the company. Don't know whether the "ARC" function does something to other cables but the ones from thatcable are the only ones (& this is after exhaustive testing) to be able to enable xbox on HDMI 1, scbt 230 on HDMI2 with"ARC" without bombing out & displaying either nothing or "snow" intermittently. Cheers for looking in those that did & I hope this is of use to some people... I thought my HDMI ports were bust & was dreading dragging this monster back to Costco...
(and I manged to get all the cables pulled through again without touching the floor or skirting boards, phew
Link to cables which sorted me out...
http://www.thatcable.com/acatalog/in...MI_Cable_.html

Last edited by Flyer; 15-06-2010 at 11:52.
Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote