Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 31-07-2009, 12:49   #1
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,530 Times in 742 Posts
The general TMF feedback thread

I've put some changes to the front page of the site live today - I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

The aim was to give more exposure to three key areas - reviews, live reviews and features. The latter in particular was originally at the bottom of the front page but it is now much higher up.

http://www.themusicfix.co.uk

Also, any feedback you have on the site in general would also be very much appreciated.
Old 31-07-2009, 14:36   #2
Buck Rogers
Trusted User

Feedback

Ok, I've visited the site from time to time over the past few months to see how it has been developing and this is my feedback. I don't illegally download, most of my music now is legally downloaded so I guess I'm more reliant on reviews than many. I use NME for news and check DiS regularly , lastfm top artists are Pixies, QOTSA, Radiohead, Girls Aloud, Blur, Smiths and more recently NIN, Air and M.I.A. I also use allmusic and metacritic also.

I've got no problems with the design of the site, my main issues are with the content. When you're covering the every genre things are going to be missed, but particularly for news I would never check the site; NME covers pretty much everything and is up to date. A lot gets missed in the reviews as well but some of the choices of things being reviewed are weird, such as the Ibiza compilations, whereas albums which are covered in the news (like the latest Manics) are missed. Hopefully more contributors would fix this.

I also haven't really got on with the writing on the site. I've disagreed with a few of the reviews on the site, obviously personal opinion etc, but when an album like the latest Yeah Yeah Yeahs gets 8/10 or above in every respectable music publication going, and then gets slated on this site (not just in the review) then the site starts to lose credibility for me. I haven't found the humour in the Weekly Single Round Ups funny at all, and the writing in the reviews (eg; first person) doesn't read like more professional sites, but maybe that's the point.

The live reviews are good (with the pictures) as is the new discoveries bit. That's my take...
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 14:59   #3
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
A lot gets missed in the reviews as well but some of the choices of things being reviewed are weird, such as the Ibiza compilations, whereas albums which are covered in the news (like the latest Manics) are missed. Hopefully more contributors would fix this.
This has to do with the number of contributors, number of hours we have to spend on the site (most of us have FT jobs and houses!) and also what we get sent. At the moment, it's really a case of satisfying the PR peeps and we don't even have the manpower to review everything they send. If someone had sent us a copy of the Manics album, I don't doubt it would be on the site by now. IIRC Steven did a nice Manics-related article around the release of the album.
Johnny Vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 13:03   #4
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,530 Times in 742 Posts
Quick bump

We're not ignoring feedback - we want to try and get as much as possible in before taking it into account and responding.