Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2009, 17:18   #1
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Arrow The General Horror / Trash / Exploitation thread! Old & new, discuss them here!

There are loads of smaller horror titles that don't get a mention, because it seems pointless starting a thread half the time. So I figured why not start a general horror thread to discuss all forthcoming horrors, as well as the smaller/older titles we may be watching. If a film seems worthy, it can always get its own thread further down the line. Seemed like a good place to just chit-chat all things horror related.

So to start..

Humpty Dumpty 3D - A new horror from David Ellis [2010]

This project caught my eye. David Ellis, director of Snakes on a Plane, Final Destination 2, and the forthcoming The Final Destination 3D (aka Final Destination 4) appears to have a new 3D horror in the pipeline, but the name of Humpty Dumpty. However, it doesn't appear to be fairy tale related, but extra-terrestrial, with some sharp toothed ET embarking on a murderous rampage in the deep south after his mother is abused by 2 rednecks! Sounds like Evil Aliens southern style..

With Aja's forthcoming Piranha as well, here's hoping for some fun, trashy 3D nastiness..!

Nice teasers..

Old 15-07-2009, 17:22   #2
RomerojpgX
Dead

Humpty Dumpty............... 3D......... my god.
Old 15-07-2009, 17:37   #3
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Hadn't heard of that before, but looks... interesting.

I'm quite looking forward to The Collector, and as someone mentioned 100 feet on a different thread, I might just throw on one of my fave werewolf movies, Bad Moon tonight.
Old 15-07-2009, 17:54   #4
Guest 752
Trussed User

I've done a couple of festivals this year and the stand-out films so far (for me) have been Blood River (from the guy who directed Broken (2006?)) and Sauna, although I may be in a small minority for the latter. Hopefully they will both be picked up for some sort of cinema distribution.

Last weekends FAB Press 'Art of the Nasty' festival showed a couple of cracking pre-cert films; Death Weekend being my pick, although The Brute was also very good. Biggest disappointment was the bonus-film S&M Hunter, which probably doesn't really fit the Horror mould, a one hour feature concerning the adventures of a super-hero whose super power is related to his prowess in tying up women in S&M poses. Complete drivel, so devoid of genuine narrative that the final showdown is arranged in a phone call between the hero and villian.

Been looking at the programme for phantasma-goria (www.phantasma-goria.com) which is being held in Swindon next month, but don't really recognise many of the films they have listed - anybody like to comment on the 'buzz' around any of them ?

Will take a look at the Two Evil eyes Bluray from Blue-Underground this evening.

Last edited by SShaw; 15-07-2009 at 17:55.
Old 15-07-2009, 18:28   #5
LordoftheDance

Death Weekend is a cracking little rape-revenge thriller. I used to have the original Vampix VHS release. Wonder what that's worth nowadays?
Old 15-07-2009, 18:41   #6
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

I was at The Art Of the Nasty festival too! Thought it was kind of mediocre myself, the first two flicks not particularly suited - The Brute in particular was more a domestic violence drama than exploitation, apart from the cross-dressing lead character. The first Hitchhiker docu-drama Take An Easy Ride was a tad tedious too, and Equinox is a piece of crap, regardless of Criterion deeming it worthy to release as a 2 disc SE.

The highlights for me, were indeed Death Weekend, a brilliant slice of exploitation with wild performances from the psychos, and a cool-as a cucumber lead gal. Saw it back on video eons ago, and it looked lovely blown up. Also, Norman J Warren's Satan's Slave, in a delicious looking uncut print - again, a great cast and beautiful lead actress. Hearing Warren's film-making anecdotes was certainly a highlight.

I would very much differ on S&M Hunter too. I'm a huge pinku fan, and that would have been one of the highlights had they used a proper print, rather than the blown up DVD. As it is I already have the DVD, and it's a class act in sexy J-sploitation, with horny girl gangs, sleazy men and kinbaku a-plenty. Mad as a hatter, but terrific entertainment.

Stiggy - Death Weekend VHS still worth a fair bit now I believe!

As for other stuff, I watched Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski's Deep End. A very unusual little film, with Diana Dors in a small role, and a stunning looking Jane Asher. The story revolves around a young man (John Moulder-Brown) getting a job at the swimming baths, attending to the male section. He befriends a young lady who works there (Asher) and starts to become somewhat obsessive over her. It's an interesting flick, and an odd combination of what starts out like a British sex-comedy, yet becomes something more surreal. Not a horror, but an interesting oddity certainly.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:13   #7
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

Good thread

May as well start a list that can be updated with dates/details/etc then

2010 Horror Film Festivals

August 26th-30th Frightfest (London)

October 22nd - 24th: Celluloid Screams (Sheffield)

October 28th - 31st: Grimmfest (Manchester)

November 10th-14th The National Horror Festival Of Wales (Aberystwyth)

November ??: Day Of The Undead (Leicester)

Last edited by MrSpeed; 22-07-2010 at 10:27.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:19   #8
tizza
cranial deficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheDance View Post
Death Weekend is a cracking little rape-revenge thriller. I used to have the original Vampix VHS release. Wonder what that's worth nowadays?
Absolutely bugger all. Honestly.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:21   #9
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

^ It's 69.99 on Amazon, and I've been watching it for yonks to see if it moves. Not sure about ebay, but if anyone wants to sell me one cheap, I'll take it!

Its one I bleedin' well had too, before I got rid of it on the grand VHS cull, thinking it would get a DVD release. I could kick myself sometimes.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:29   #10
Guest 752
Trussed User

Would agree that The Brute was out of place, but a cracking film none-the-less. I also found Take an easy ride tedious, and while I wouldn't describe Equinox as a piece of crap I can understand why you might hold that view. The biggest disappointment for me was that Black Devil Doll was a no-show.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:30   #11
LordoftheDance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
^ It's 69.99 on Amazon, and I've been watching it for yonks to see if it moves. Not sure about ebay, but if anyone wants to sell me one cheap, I'll take it!

Its one I bleedin' well had too, before I got rid of it on the grand VHS cull, thinking it would get a DVD release. I could kick myself sometimes.
Ditto - I had 50 or 60 rare original VHS releases, Vampix, Vipco, Magnetic Video, Vestron, others I've forgotten - and just junked them all, thinking the movies would be released on DVD at some point. Most of them have been, but others like Hunter's Blood, Death Weekend, The Mangler (uncut), Pranks, The Kindred, Utu, Absurd I still haven't seen releases of on DVD...
Old 15-07-2009, 19:45   #12
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Would agree that The Brute was out of place, but a cracking film none-the-less. I also found Take an easy ride tedious, and while I wouldn't describe Equinox as a piece of crap I can understand why you might hold that view. The biggest disappointment for me was that Black Devil Doll was a no-show.
Yeah, it was ok, The Brute, I just think within the context on a video nasty festival it underwhelmed me. It's also one I've never seen before, so had high hopes for it.

I was personally pleased they skipped Black Devil Doll, as I was intending to get out early and skip that one. I thought the trailer looked ghastly, cheap & tacky. I was pleased at the change of schedule to a pink film - well, until I saw the print.

Still, got your package today - thank you! I'm looking forward to settling down to some Franco sleaze with Sexy Sisters and the heavy metal horror Black Roses at some point!
Old 15-07-2009, 19:45   #13
tizza
cranial deficient

Well, A mate of mine hung onto all his nasties on vhs for ages, could have had good money for them back in 2001-2 but then vhs started to disapear. He didnt realise that the only sort of people that would buy precert vhs would most likely already have them? I think now he has them all in his loft.

years ago I used to have a few thorn emi mainstream and precerts, liked the sleazy covers and the general thorn emi titles (halloween 2 & 3, deathship, conan) at the time The Burning was still fetching good money as it wasnt on dvd, as soon as it did apear, you could buy the original thorn emi for about a fiver at the Watford movie mart (or wherever they moved to at the time)
Old 15-07-2009, 19:47   #14
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Ditto - I had 50 or 60 rare original VHS releases, Vampix, Vipco, Magnetic Video, Vestron, others I've forgotten - and just junked them all, thinking the movies would be released on DVD at some point. Most of them have been, but others like Hunter's Blood, Death Weekend, The Mangler (uncut), Pranks, The Kindred, Utu, Absurd I still haven't seen releases of on DVD...
Pranks is on DVD. Vipco I believe.
Old 15-07-2009, 20:06   #15
LordoftheDance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
Pranks is on DVD. Vipco I believe.
I'm surprised the autocensor didn't pick that word up. Vipco. Urgh.
Old 15-07-2009, 20:15   #16
SIMON ADEBISI

Hunters Blood. Theres one i would love to see again. I remember hunting it down after it appeared in Dark Side a long time ago
Old 15-07-2009, 20:24   #17
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
I'm quite looking forward to The Collector, and as someone mentioned 100 feet on a different thread, I might just throw on one of my fave werewolf movies, Bad Moon tonight.
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...d.php?t=555938

100 Feet had its moments but overall was poor, special mention goes to the ending which has to be seen to be believed.

But what do I know, I liked Shrooms...
Old 15-07-2009, 20:27   #18
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

WooHoo! Is it Christmas?

Thread heaven

Humpty Dumpty
Old 15-07-2009, 20:35   #19
SIMON ADEBISI

Zombies VS Cockneys is one im looking forward too

"gggrrrrr aaaaaaahhhhhh"

"Eat my guts eh, You ugly ******* slaaaaaaaaaaaaaag"
Old 16-07-2009, 09:30   #20
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

A little heads-up to save people 108 minutes of their life....don't bother watching Dark Reel.

It's the ONLY horror film I've ever turned off halfway through...and Mrs-S will confirm that I always sit through ALL Horror films.

It was shocking in all the wrong ways
Closed Thread