Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 08:12   #1
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

Arrow May Upfronts: Renewals and Cancellations

Seasons are ending and it looks like I'm in for a terrible May when I'm gowing to find out the fate of :
  • Cupid cancelled
  • Chuck renewed 13 episode season
  • Dollhouse renewed 13 episode season
  • Eleventh Hour cancelled
  • Lie to Me renewed 13 episode season
  • Life cancelled
  • Southland renewed 13 episode season
  • The Mentalist renewed full season
  • The Unusuals cancelled
  • Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles cancelled

I don't think I've ever watched so many shows with such a low chance of being renewed.

And with BSG coming to an end, and with TSCC and Dollhouse teetering on the abyss it looks like there wont be any decent SF next season [Fringe doesn't count]

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/...v-cheat-s.html

Last edited by sleepy67; 20-05-2009 at 16:45.
sleepy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19   #2
basegreen
neergesab

I'd be shocked if the mentalist didnt survive -- it's a solid show and the numbers arent bad.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34   #3
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

Here's what I don't think will be coming back...

Terminator - The ratings have just been too consistently low. There comes a point where it's not worth production anymore when it's not pulling the viewers in. They've had 2 Seasons to grab an audience, a third isn't going to make a difference.

Life - The same deal as Terminator. There was a chance that the show could've gone to the USA network, as honestly it's a far far better fit there (Alongside 'Monk' and 'Psych'). It'll need to take a production cut, but to be honest even that is looking very unlikely. There is a small glimmer of hope though seeing as the Brass at NBC do actually like the show.

Dollhouse - Yeah it's dead. I know they're trying to spin that whole 13th episode business but it's done. Fox have a good idea of how the show will play with ratings and need to make their decision. Though conversely, they expected low ratings and that's what they got, so I don't know why they're so suprised. The timeslot of Death alongside Terminator didn't bode well for either show.

Chuck - Surprisingly no word on Chuck. Again, NBC are fans of the show, they support the show but it's not capitalized on it's audience. Their best chance was around Superbowl time. Ratings shot up and then NBC in all their wisdom had a 2 week break. Though I gather that was also due to an Obama speech.

I think the most likely shows to come back are The Mentalist and Lie to Me. Both are strong ratings wise, not fantastic but not 'Life' levels either.

The thing is a lot of shows usually get renewal orders by now (Even the badly performing 'Friday Night Lights' had a 2 season order before this Season technically finished) and so the more time goes on the less likely renewal is.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:41   #4
basegreen
neergesab

Lie to me just introduced longer term story arc elements at the right time too.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59   #5
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01

No NBC has not (yet) cancelled Chuck but it is still not sure whether the series get renewed…

With that said, fans of Chuck will not be happy. But a CW insider can tell www.series.nu exclusive that Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment of The CW likes Chuck. And if NBC cancels the series, there is a chance that The CW take over Chuck.

(source: www.series.nu)
Pentasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:27   #6
mikegray
Trusted User

I'm hoping that Chuck and Reaper get renewed but I'm certainly not hopeful, particularly for Reaper.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:39   #7
The404
In Stereo Where Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
I'm hoping that Chuck and Reaper get renewed but I'm certainly not hopeful, particularly for Reaper.
Reaper is dead. I can't remember where I read it but the creators have just signed a deal with FOX to make a show there.

::edit - Here is the story

After the ending to S2 I'd be disappointed if Sarah Connor doesn't get renewed, but I'd be really gutted if Chuck goes.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:41   #8
DrVenkman

Reaper was just a bit of a mess. They waited so long between Seasons that any momentum the First Season started to build was wasted. I watched all the first Season then more or less forgot about it by the time Season 2 rolled around (And still haven't seen it).

CW taking over Chuck would be a good bet. Pair it up with 'Supernatural' and you got a great block of TV.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46   #9
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy67 View Post
[*]Southland[*]The Unusuals
They've only just started but are already doomed because it's too late in the year, although The Unusuals did show promise though and they should have waited until the Autumn before showing it.

The cost cutting at NBC will really be evident because next season they're adding an hour of cheap talk show in their Prime Time schedule with Jay Leno getting a new vehicle.

TSCC was constantly being filmed at Universal Studios in Hollywood, many of the outdoor scenes in recent weeks took place in the same place as the town centre used in Back To The Future, if the cameras where swung round you'd see the clock tower.
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20   #10
robzinski
Not on the list

I've been watching such few TV series this year I actually hope a fair few series get cancelled in the hope of something better taking their place.

All I'm watching/have watched are;

Lost
Prison Break
CSI
House
How I Met Your Mother
Friday Night Lights

Of these, Prison Break only is 100% gone, which isn't the end of the world. The only doubt is over How I Met your Mother, which I gather is touch and go the same as last year.

Anyone know of any possible pilots for any of The West Wing/Studio 60 alumni?

Last edited by robzinski; 12-04-2009 at 11:20.
robzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33   #11
The404
In Stereo Where Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzinski View Post
Anyone know of any possible pilots for any of The West Wing/Studio 60 alumni?
AICN posted this the other day
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17   #12
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
I'd be shocked if the mentalist didnt survive -- it's a solid show and the numbers arent bad.
Good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
Lie to me just introduced longer term story arc elements at the right time too.
it did, do you mean the adulterous hubby???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman View Post
Reaper was just a bit of a mess. They waited so long between Seasons that any momentum the First Season started to build was wasted. I watched all the first Season then more or less forgot about it by the time Season 2 rolled around (And still haven't seen it).
I gave up on Reaper when they dropped the Devils daughter arc and then dropped the ambiguity over who his father was.
Quote:
CW taking over Chuck would be a good bet. Pair it up with 'Supernatural' and you got a great block of TV.
For 1 year assuming CW survives ...
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18   #13
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaUK View Post
They've only just started but are already doomed because it's too late in the year, although The Unusuals did show promise though and they should have waited until the Autumn before showing it.
I enjoyed both of them but yeah the late start is worrying, but then again its a whole new world and the old network model is failing so who knows.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:22   #14
Sprout Crumble
They're starting 2 shimmy

Reaper started out with a good premise and is quite fun, but it seems to be continually treading water; almost like its written with a seven-year arc in mind. A goner.

Chuck continues to be a well-written and well-acted piece. Popular enough for a third season perhaps. Hope so.

Terminator is finally going somewhere. Ironically, likely too late to save it. A big shame.

Dollhouse has never done it for me, even with Dushku's ass hanging out of bondage gear. Won't be missed by me.

As usual though, cancellations will be more down to the mystical thought processes of studio execs than anything else.
Sprout Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:37   #15
Shingster
Trusted User

Reaper deserves to go, very lazy writers on that one. There's so much they can do with the concept to expand the mythology, but they're content to just coast with dull, by the numbers demon-of-the-week plotlines and let Tyler Labine and Ray Wise save their asses every episode!

Last edited by Shingster; 12-04-2009 at 12:38.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 14:26   #16
DrVenkman

The problem with Reaper is that I think there's no mythology etc. It's all very straightforward. And because of that there's no drive to the show. The mythology just seems like a complete afterthought. And so you're stuck with repetitive 'Monster of the Week' episodes.

Last edited by DrVenkman; 12-04-2009 at 14:27.
Old 12-04-2009, 16:17   #17
dvds2000
Trusted User

Don't know if people know it, but this is a pretty decent site for rumours and cancellations

http://tvseriesfinale.com/
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 18:12   #18
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Hopefully the Mentalist will continue, but they'd be crazy to end Lie To Me. Other than 24, its the best thing on tv these days.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 00:52   #19
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy67 View Post
  • Cupid
  • Chuck
  • Dollhouse
  • Eleventh Hour
  • Lie to Me
  • Life
  • Southland
  • The Mentalist
  • The Unusuals
  • Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
I've only seen two of those and heard of two others. So no great loss for me I guess.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 02:19   #20
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaUK View Post
TSCC was constantly being filmed at Universal Studios in Hollywood, many of the outdoor scenes in recent weeks took place in the same place as the town centre used in Back To The Future, if the cameras where swung round you'd see the clock tower.
The one where they went to the town where everyone had CCTV in their houses? I thought that was the same set, but I couldn't be sure.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote