Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Bargain Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48   #1
DJBenson
Android Defector
 
DJBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Posts: 5,694
Thanks: 93
Thanked 149 Times in 117 Posts
LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Reader/Writer + HD-DVD Reader £127.22 @ PCWorld + Delivery

Been keeping an eye on the price of this drive, and this is the cheapest currently available (in stock) on Google Shopping. Currently in stock for delivery at PC World for £127.22 plus delivery (total £132.06).

Read and burn Blu-ray (R/RW)
Read HD-DVD
Read and burn DVD (R+/R-/RAM/RW)
Read and burn CD (R/RW)

LG GGW-H20L.

Last edited by DJBenson; 12-03-2009 at 09:50.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:17   #2
beastman
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stockport
Posts: 96
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
interesting but whats the price for blank blue rays?
beastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:40   #3
DJBenson
Android Defector
 
DJBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Posts: 5,694
Thanks: 93
Thanked 149 Times in 117 Posts
£2+ from many places for write-once, £5+ for rewritable.

BigPockets
SVP Communications
Disk Depot

Just 3 affiliates who have stock of BD-R.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:44   #4
nwgarratt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 10,574
Thanks: 79
Thanked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastman View Post
interesting but whats the price for blank blue rays?
I paid £3.80 for BD-R 25 and managed to get TDK BD-R 50GB at £5.80 each (normally £20!) as a box of 5 on eBay. TDK BD-RE's are £8-£10 for 25GB and £25 for a single 50GB !

I only use TDK's or Verbatims as they are the best. Also, my Sony S350 does not recognise the LG BD-RE's that come with the drive. It works in a Samsung 1500 but the picture stutters a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
£2+ from many places for write-once, £5+ for rewritable.
BigPockets
SVP Communications
Disk Depot

Just 3 affiliates who have stock of BD-R.
No £2 ones from those. They are all around £5 for a BD-R 25 plus the postage on top. Haven't seen a £2 BD-R yet.

Last edited by nwgarratt; 12-03-2009 at 15:49.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:45   #5
Guest 1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
£4-£5 from SVP i think..
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:45   #6
Guest 60797
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 112
Thanks: 95
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mmm, I see a Blu-Ray Writer purchase in my future... I'm hoping anyway.
Guest 60797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 16:17   #7
DJBenson
Android Defector
 
DJBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Posts: 5,694
Thanks: 93
Thanked 149 Times in 117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
No £2 ones from those. They are all around £5 for a BD-R 25 plus the postage on top. Haven't seen a £2 BD-R yet.
I didn't specifically state they were available for £2 from those though - the three sites linked were 3 affiliates from the "Computer" pull down menu at the top of the forums. I was looking around the other night, trying to persuade myself I need one of these, and saw prices ranging from around £2 upwards (granted that was in 5 and 10 packs).

Quick check of eBay shows plenty of choice of disks for between £2.50-£3.50 per disk when bought in boxes of 10 or 20.

Interesting point about the Sony player though - what makes this drive appealing is the disk(s) bundled with it, saves a couple of quid (if they worked that is).

Last edited by DJBenson; 12-03-2009 at 16:25.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 16:46   #8
nwgarratt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 10,574
Thanks: 79
Thanked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
I didn't specifically state they were available for £2 from those though - the three sites linked were 3 affiliates from the "Computer" pull down menu at the top of the forums. I was looking around the other night, trying to persuade myself I need one of these, and saw prices ranging from around £2 upwards (granted that was in 5 and 10 packs).

Quick check of eBay shows plenty of choice of disks for between £2.50-£3.50 per disk when bought in boxes of 10 or 20.

Interesting point about the Sony player though - what makes this drive appealing is the disk(s) bundled with it, saves a couple of quid (if they worked that is).
Give an example as there is still no discs for £2 though once you add on postage. Even on eBay they still work at £4-£5 a disc at least. They even use boxes of 10 as the pictures but the auction is still for one disc.

It is the dye on the LG that the players don't like. It still works great as a BD data disc though for computer use. I used mine to back up MP3's.

Last edited by nwgarratt; 12-03-2009 at 16:49.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:21   #9
Guest 4508
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 5
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
Been keeping an eye on the price of this drive, and this is the cheapest currently available (in stock) on Google Shopping. Currently in stock for delivery at PC World for £127.22 plus delivery (total £132.06).

Read and burn Blu-ray (R/RW)
Read HD-DVD
Read and burn DVD (R+/R-/RAM/RW)
Read and burn CD (R/RW)

LG GGW-H20L.
I've got one of these drives and it's the bees knees so long as you're in no hurry for your backups, 50GB BD-RE (TDK which I got for £12 seems a bargain now) take around 8-9 hours to write and verify.

It's great for me as all my backups fit on 2 disks, I'm never in a hurry and it beats creating 15 DVDs each time I backup.

mike
Guest 4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:32   #10
nwgarratt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 10,574
Thanks: 79
Thanked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckhurst View Post
I've got one of these drives and it's the bees knees so long as you're in no hurry for your backups, 50GB BD-RE (TDK which I got for £12 seems a bargain now) take around 8-9 hours to write and verify.
I don't bother with verify and a full 50GB disc at 2x can be done in 85 minutes.

TDK 50GB at £12 is certainly a bargain.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:57   #11
Guest 4508
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 5
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
I don't bother with verify and a full 50GB disc at 2x can be done in 85 minutes.

TDK 50GB at £12 is certainly a bargain.
Not verifying a backup, not something I would ever consider.

mike
Guest 4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 18:48   #12
DJBenson
Android Defector
 
DJBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Posts: 5,694
Thanks: 93
Thanked 149 Times in 117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
Give an example as there is still no discs for £2
Look I'm not being funny but;

1) I'm not here to find you cheaper media and
2) In both posts, I said either £2+ or £2 upwards, not £2 - there is a difference. I found plenty on eBay for between £2.50 and £3.50 each when bought in "bulk" (5-10 disks) including postage.

Last edited by DJBenson; 12-03-2009 at 18:49.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 19:24   #13
nwgarratt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 10,574
Thanks: 79
Thanked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post
Look I'm not being funny but;

1) I'm not here to find you cheaper media and
2) In both posts, I said either £2+ or £2 upwards, not £2 - there is a difference. I found plenty on eBay for between £2.50 and £3.50 each when bought in "bulk" (5-10 disks) including postage.
Don't need to be rude.

£2+ is £2 plus up btw.

Not interested in finding cheap media. I just wanted you to prove your wild claim. I have been all over ebay and have not found a single one at anywhere near what you say. Best I can get is £3.50+ for 10 discs which I got ages ago.

Leaving now.

Last edited by nwgarratt; 12-03-2009 at 19:28.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 19:44   #14
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.
 
hookbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Beverley, UK
Posts: 9,091
Thanks: 90
Thanked 199 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
Don't need to be rude.

£2+ is £2 plus up btw.

Not interested in finding cheap media. I just wanted you to prove your wild claim. I have been all over ebay and have not found a single one at anywhere near what you say. Best I can get is £3.50+ for 10 discs which I got ages ago.

Leaving now.
you think he's rude ? wtf ? take a look in the mirror !
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 19:48   #15
DJBenson
Android Defector
 
DJBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Posts: 5,694
Thanks: 93
Thanked 149 Times in 117 Posts


Anyway.....

Anybody else think this is a good deal (for the hardware) or not?

For somebody with a media PC, this would be a great addition, coupled with the latest version of PowerDVD would give you Blu-ray, HD-DVD and DVD playback on a single box, and the added benefit of recording masses of data to BD-R disks.

Last edited by DJBenson; 12-03-2009 at 19:56.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 20:03   #16
davecarter
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,110
Thanks: 14
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBenson View Post


Anyway.....

Anybody else think this is a good deal (for the hardware) or not?

For somebody with a media PC, this would be a great addition, coupled with the latest version of PowerDVD would give you Blu-ray, HD-DVD and DVD playback on a single box, and the added benefit of recording masses of data to BD-R disks.

Indeed I bought 2 of these for just that job and they have proved excellent playing every disc i have thrown at it without any issues
davecarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 22:22   #17
Guest 5508
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oz
Posts: 430
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow 8-9 hours!

Why not buy a cheap SCSI card and a DAT72 drive off ebay. 72GB tapes are 3 quid or so. A full backup would take an hour at the most and its rewriteable media. The kit would probably be slightly cheaper too.

If you must have blu-ray then buy a reader with the money you save on blank disks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckhurst View Post
I've got one of these drives and it's the bees knees so long as you're in no hurry for your backups, 50GB BD-RE (TDK which I got for £12 seems a bargain now) take around 8-9 hours to write and verify.

It's great for me as all my backups fit on 2 disks, I'm never in a hurry and it beats creating 15 DVDs each time I backup.

mike

Last edited by mbriody; 12-03-2009 at 22:24.
Guest 5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 23:55   #18
Guest 4508
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 5
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriody View Post
Wow 8-9 hours!

Why not buy a cheap SCSI card and a DAT72 drive off ebay. 72GB tapes are 3 quid or so. A full backup would take an hour at the most and its rewriteable media. The kit would probably be slightly cheaper too.

If you must have blu-ray then buy a reader with the money you save on blank disks!
BD-RE is rewriteable too

There are several reasons why I don't use tape:

1) It's not as reliable as people think, I've got a lot of experience of failed DAT and DLT drives and media.

2) Blu-ray disks are more convenient and don't require backup software to recover the data in the event of failure of original system - just slap the disk in another system with a drive and read the data. I remember the time MS changed the format for NT backup and overnight meant all legacy backups could not be restored.

3) I don't mind the verify taking 8 hrs, I can plan ahead when I do my backups. The HP DAT72 drive I looked at, writes at 3MB/s so work it out, it's not much faster and that's assuming you don't verify after completing the write. To do 72GB in an hour you're going to need HD performance, which isn't likely on a desktop tape drive.

4) Blu-ray is here for the long term, I've got a big box in the loft with different formats that can longer be read due to the hardware being obsolete/the manufacturer going out of business.

5) I'd rather have 50GB of uncompressed data than 72GB of compressed.

mike
Guest 4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:57   #19
BeelzebubUK
The devil made me do it
 
BeelzebubUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 940
Thanks: 116
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using one of these drives since they first came out for my HTPC. Paired with the latest PowerDVD and Reloaded 3.0 (enables the latest PowerDVD to play HD-DVD as Cyberlink removed it) its played everything I've tried so far. Can't fault it.
BeelzebubUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 17:53   #20
Guest 40960
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 9
Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
"Due to high demand the following items are unavailable".

Darn. Would have gone for this
Guest 40960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blu-ray, Blu-ray recorder, dvd recorder, hd-dvd

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Card reader won't read a full 4gb MS Pro Duo - can I flash or update my reader? Guest 52235 Computing Forum 4 29-12-2006 16:47
Which DVD-R/RAM reader/writer Guest 44709 Suppliers and Shopping Forum 1 21-10-2004 01:10
usb 8 in 1 reader writer £9.99 boam Bargain Forum 7 20-05-2004 18:35

All times are GMT. The time now is 21:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network