Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 10:05   #1761
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk
 
Jabbitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,767
Thanks: 109
Thanked 101 Times in 53 Posts
To save money, we ditched TV altogether. The kids only watch YouTube and the Mrs uses iPlayer if she needs to. All we pay Sky for is the phone line and fibre broadband.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
__________________
http://www.j.abbitt.btinternet.co.uk/dante.jpg
"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
Jabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:36   #1762
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,809
Thanks: 435
Thanked 1,654 Times in 556 Posts
It still irks me that we have to pay for phone lines just to get internet.

Virgin Media was installed on my street in Feb though and am looking forward to being able to get their packages.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:51   #1763
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 25,551
Thanks: 156
Thanked 357 Times in 250 Posts
I would love VM but they are not allowed in where I live
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:13   #1764
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 10,099
Thanks: 1,366
Thanked 618 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
It still irks me that we have to pay for phone lines just to get internet.

Virgin Media was installed on my street in Feb though and am looking forward to being able to get their packages.

I think last time I renegotiated with sky i did so without a landline being needed
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:33   #1765
malcy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,666
Thanks: 58
Thanked 133 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
I think last time I renegotiated with sky i did so without a landline being needed

I thought though with Sky you need a landline with someone, canít ditch it totally, as you need the BT phone infrastructure.

My sister for years had Sky for web but kept her BT landline.

Virgin as itís all their kit can let you ditch the phone.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:44   #1766
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,809
Thanks: 435
Thanked 1,654 Times in 556 Posts
You can choose a landline-less install, in which your Sky box doesn't have to be connected to the telephone line. That's just for a TV package though. I doubt you can have no phone line if you take their broadband.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:54   #1767
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 10,099
Thanks: 1,366
Thanked 618 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
You can choose a landline-less install, in which your Sky box doesn't have to be connected to the telephone line. That's just for a TV package though. I doubt you can have no phone line if you take their broadband.

Nope. Iíve got sky broadband and tv.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
The Bear (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 15:32   #1768
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle
 
shteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cov
Posts: 6,251
Thanks: 569
Thanked 832 Times in 593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
It still irks me that we have to pay for phone lines just to get internet.

Virgin Media was installed on my street in Feb though and am looking forward to being able to get their packages.
It's a quid a month saving to lose the landline on the 350Mb broadband, and £10 a month extra to lose the landline if you want the 1Gb broadband. VM very much want you to still have a landline.
__________________
I've got a signature and an avatar :p
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
The Bear (07-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 19:25   #1769
malcy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,666
Thanks: 58
Thanked 133 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
Nope. Iíve got sky broadband and tv.

But do you have the BT phone landline from someone else ? You need a BT phone line in plane to get Sky broadband as thatís what it uses for the connection.

The requirement to have your Sky box connected to a phone line or pay extra dates back to the days when the phone line was needed as the return mechanism to register if you bought Box Office programming so Sky could bill you. In the old days the free box was paid out of a box office marketing budget as when you signed to Sky to get the free box you had a separate contract requiring the box to be connected to a working phone line for a year. If not you had to pay for the box. Now itís all done online.

Also with Sky Q as with Virgin V6 and BTTV the boxes are only rented. When you stop the subscription they have to be returned or you are legally required to pay for the box. Although a BTTV box is just a YouView box so will work without subscription Sky Q and Virgin V6 boxes wonít.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 22:40   #1770
Stevie G
Dazed and confused
 
Stevie G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: By the seaside
Posts: 12,212
Thanks: 752
Thanked 371 Times in 274 Posts
Yes, I cancelled sky in the end, I have to return the box. Haven't actually used it since the football paused so I doubt we'll miss it

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
__________________
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:21   #1771
dunkle
Trusted User
 
dunkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,360
Thanks: 979
Thanked 383 Times in 184 Posts
I’ve not had sky for years and years but mum and dad have been with them since the whole take over of BSB and the squariel

Anyway mum and dad it seems just pay what they are asked.
They also have broadband with them

seems they are paying around 105 quid a month !
For this they have sky hd and sky sports (no movies and no kids)
They don’t have a sky q box and don’t have 4K as they don’t (yet) have a 4K tv
Broadband is fibre and around 30mb in terms of speed

to me that seems a lot of money. They are even still paying for the sport at the moment

Does anyone know of a ball park figure they should be looking at / negotiating towards. Think Dad would like the Sky Q box as he often finds himself not being able to record / store enough things

they also wouldn’t want multiroom.
Thanks in advance
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:42   #1772
Barnacle
Trusted User
 
Barnacle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 3,381
Thanks: 329
Thanked 127 Times in 78 Posts
I pay about £45 for sky broadband, phone & tv (just regular HD & entertainment package - no Sky Q, no sports, no movies). My broadband speed is about 16MB.

I threatened to leave Sky as my monthly bill was about £60 or £70, so they lowered it to £45 (for 18 months).
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:50   #1773
lentini
now with added cymbals
 
lentini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: in my special fanboy trousers
Posts: 15,783
Thanks: 119
Thanked 453 Times in 258 Posts
I pay 55 quid for 80mb, Sky Q with multiroom and the basic Entertainment package
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:53   #1774
dunkle
Trusted User
 
dunkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,360
Thanks: 979
Thanked 383 Times in 184 Posts
As thought, seems massively overspending on it
Seems a sky q box would cost them 200 quid as well

Remember now what I left
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:11   #1775
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 10,099
Thanks: 1,366
Thanked 618 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
But do you have the BT phone landline from someone else ? You need a BT phone line in plane to get Sky broadband as thatís what it uses for the connection.

The requirement to have your Sky box connected to a phone line or pay extra dates back to the days when the phone line was needed as the return mechanism to register if you bought Box Office programming so Sky could bill you. In the old days the free box was paid out of a box office marketing budget as when you signed to Sky to get the free box you had a separate contract requiring the box to be connected to a working phone line for a year. If not you had to pay for the box. Now itís all done online.

Also with Sky Q as with Virgin V6 and BTTV the boxes are only rented. When you stop the subscription they have to be returned or you are legally required to pay for the box. Although a BTTV box is just a YouView box so will work without subscription Sky Q and Virgin V6 boxes wonít.

I guess the price may hidden in there but i pay £29 for broadband superfast and £31 for multiscreen sky q with box sets and cinema (sports on pause).

Thereís no separate phone line bill anywhere (used to be with Sky til last renewal). Line rental shows as free on my Sky.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:29   #1776
dunkle
Trusted User
 
dunkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,360
Thanks: 979
Thanked 383 Times in 184 Posts
Managed to get hold of their most recent bill

Sky entertainment 24.00
Sky sports. Complete pack 18.00
Sky sports HD 2.00
Sky HD 8.00
Sky+ Free

Sky Line Rental 18.99
Sky talk anytime extra 10.00
1571 voicemail 2.00
Sky wifi free
Sky fibre unlimited 24.00

104.99
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:33   #1777
lentini
now with added cymbals
 
lentini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: in my special fanboy trousers
Posts: 15,783
Thanks: 119
Thanked 453 Times in 258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
I guess the price may hidden in there but i pay £29 for broadband superfast and £31 for multiscreen sky q with box sets and cinema (sports on pause).

Thereís no separate phone line bill anywhere (used to be with Sky til last renewal). Line rental shows as free on my Sky.
Line rental is included in your broadband price
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
nutter45 (14-05-2020)
Old 14-05-2020, 21:57   #1778
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Falkland Islands
Posts: 23,439
Thanks: 288
Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Managed to get hold of their most recent bill

Sky entertainment 24.00
Sky sports. Complete pack 18.00
Sky sports HD 2.00
Sky HD 8.00
Sky+ Free

Sky Line Rental 18.99
Sky talk anytime extra 10.00
1571 voicemail 2.00
Sky wifi free
Sky fibre unlimited 24.00

104.99
They're probably struggling on with an ancient box that barely works as well, and an ancient router.

Seriously if you've got parents, it's well worth giving them a massive audit of their bills.

I reckon I've saved my parents about £5000 in the last few years. Paying £20 a month to keep the worlds oldest washing machine going (paid about £2400 over 20 years), £500 a year for home insurance for god knows how long, broadband £60 a month.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
dunkle (14-05-2020), nutter45 (15-05-2020)
Old 15-05-2020, 12:45   #1779
dunkle
Trusted User
 
dunkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,360
Thanks: 979
Thanked 383 Times in 184 Posts
Cheers for all the help
Mum called, just under 30 quid a month saved plus skyq install all included plus sports frozen for now. She happy with that.
Thanks
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:06   #1780
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 25,551
Thanks: 156
Thanked 357 Times in 250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Cheers for all the help
Mum called, just under 30 quid a month saved plus skyq install all included plus sports frozen for now. She happy with that.
Thanks
Did they get the SkyQ box for free ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
EPG, sky, sky hd, SkyHD

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official SPL 2009/10 thread - "The Establishment's" Favourite Thread on the Forums!! boonspoon Sports Forum 440 09-05-2010 17:34
The 'Official' MMA Thread Guest 522 Sports Forum 1001 05-03-2007 18:05
*The Official PS3 Thread* TimJBart Video Games Forum 1029 08-09-2006 16:27
Official Liverpool 06 - 07 Thread - The Official Pedant thread! Guest 816 Sports Forum 1013 06-09-2006 10:09
The one and only official "official"Tru calling thread... Lorne.t Television Discussion 79 23-03-2005 19:37

All times are GMT. The time now is 18:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network