Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 28-11-2008, 02:17   #1
MovieMax
Trusted User

Xena on Blu-Ray

Was surprised (and pleased) to recently read that Xena W.P. might be released on Blu-Ray, but it got me thinking, would it be worth it. Have so far bought the UK release and the superior Anchor Bay version. I always thought XWP was shot on video and therefore not the most likeliest candidate for a Blu-Ray upgrade.

However, I suppose there could be room for a PQ improvement (hopefully), I guess the only incentive that would definitely convince me to re-buy would be if it was reframed as widescreen.
MovieMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 12:50   #2
Guest 12950
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMax View Post
I guess the only incentive that would definitely convince me to re-buy would be if it was reframed as widescreen.
So you haven't heard anything about the rubbish Blu ray version of thunderbirds then? Where they did this reframing and lost the tops of peoples heads / feet etc.

having seen the screenshots which were posted here, a lot of people will now not purchase this blu ray set.

It would make more sense for you to say "the only incentive that would definitely convince me to re-buy would be if it was not reframed as widescreen"
Guest 12950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 14:06   #3
Guest 13833
Trusted User

TVShowsonDVD have since said that they were in error. The company in question has no plans (as yet) to release Xena or Hercules. Plus not sure who effective their plans are - it seems to be mail order only!
I'm also sure that they wouldn't have access to the extras Anchor Bay produced for their superior DVD releases (superior to the awful UK sets anyway)

Not too sure how sucessful it would be in HD. A lot of the effects are decidely dodgy in SD and any shot featuring effects would have to be upscaled as it will be far to expensive to recreate all the effects in HD. Also was it actually shot on 35mm or was it shot on video?
Not dissing the show as it's one of my favourites (particularly seasons 3-5)

OH and ditto on the widescreen - any release had better not be reframed. There is nothing wrong with black bars down the side of the screen.
Guest 13833 is offline   Reply With Quote