Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 02:33   #1
Shingster
Trusted User

OK, What The **** is going on at Amazon?

I was putting together an Amazon order and noticed that I don't have the option to "Add to Cart" on some of the pre-orders, clicking on Pre-Order will checkout each item individually OR if I'm really determined to add the item to my cart I get to the final page of the checkout and go back to homepage, then check my cart and the pre-orderr is finally there in my cart.

Seems to me that Amazon are trying to trick people into placing single-item pre-orders from now on. This is especially egregious when you consider that items that come ouit on the same day cannot be ordered together straightforwardly, so you could end up being shafted by delivery charges on both items.

See for yourself

EDIT: Now when I placed the order, despite it being £40+ all products sold by or fulfilled by Amazon (over £20 sold by Amazon), I don't get the FREE Standard Delivery option? WTF? I had to choose a paid delivery option just to get the FREE standard option to appear, but when I chose it, it STILL charged me £5 for shipping! The only way I could get free delivery was to choose Prime and then delte the free trial of prime and switch back to standard delivery.

Just what the **** is going on at amazon? Surely this isn't just me? Surely someone here has placed an order recently?

Last edited by Shingster; 09-08-2020 at 15:47.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:05   #2
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User

I've completely fallen out with Amazon, their customer service has taken a nose dive in the last few months.

I pre-ordered a OnePlus Nord from them in July for delivery on 5th August. Up to 8am on 5th of August it was still showing as to be delivered by 9pm that day.

Suddenly, it went to showing a delivery date as 22nd August. I contacted them on chat and they couldn't give a toss. I explained that I had sold my phone and therefore they would leave me without a phone for a few weeks.

He just said, it's out of stock, nothing we can do. I asked why they had left it so long to let me know they were having stock problems, the reply was just, it's out of stock.

I didn't even get an apology, got to speak to the persons manager who just said exactly the same and again didn't say sorry. I pointed out the I paid for Amazon Prime which promised/guaranteed me the delivery on 5th August and could I at least be refunded for that months Prime payment. Apparently I was mistaken and the prime delivery doesn't guarantee me anything and there was no way I would be refunded anything.

I cancelled my Amazon Prime there and then (it had renewed the day before), cancelled the order for the phone and have vowed to never order from Amazon again. I have also stopped using the Amazon credit card I had and will never use it again.

I think as I get older I have less patience with people who let me down. However, I have realised that I have now saved £79.99 on the Prime and £349.99 on the phone. I've gone back to using a Huawei P20 Pro instead which will do me just fine.

I get the same as you Shingster with regards to only have a pre-order button and not an add to basket. However, if I add another item to go over the £20 I do get the free delivery option between 3-5 days.

Last edited by GalaxyBlue; 11-08-2020 at 07:09.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
driver8 (11-08-2020), Shingster (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 07:47   #3
basegreen
neergesab

I had a return go missing.

Normally they just sort it out but this time they’re just claiming the item is being processed three weeks later.

So I concur — they’re really not as good CS wise as they were before.
basegreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:58   #4
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,682 Times in 568 Posts
The only issue I've had with them lately is expecting a delivery one day after it said it was out for delivery, and then it changed and said it was being delivered the day after when I checked the status later that day.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:52   #5
malcy

I had read on the blu-ray.com forums that Amazon CS have been told they should no longer give out free months of Prime membership if your Prime delivery is late so delivered after the expected date. They actually put in some customer emails the hashtag compensation abuse.

So by even now just asking for the free month they can not just not give it to you but also give you a strike against your account for whether they terminate accounts. Other reasons include frequent returns or asking for price adjustments if the price drops just after you buy the item.

There definitely seems to be a deliberate policy to not just throw money as problems as they did in the past. But now as they are so big why worry if a few customers get ****** off and leave.

Regarding refunds, have always found it is better to take it as store credit as then they normally give you the credit as soon as they can see you have dropped the return off at the Post Office. Is normally if you ask for a cash refund they make you wait until the item gets back to them.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 14:54   #6
The Bear

Same here with returns. As soon as the person scans it in the shop, I get an email seconds later informing me of the credit.
Old 11-08-2020, 15:04   #7
Shingster
Trusted User

I must admit that I've always been "lucky" I guess with Amazon deliveries and the only issues with them not making their delivery dates for me have usually been on BD preorders where the release date was postponed by the label and when Amazon deliveries have arrived within 24hrs before the dispatch email actually arrived! I don't use Prime though, so go figure! I have a friend to does have Prime and he's had some issues in the past with damaged and late deliveries.

Their customer service really has gone down the toilet in the last year though for certain, not sure if I've discussed this before but I ended up with an order of three bottles of whisky to be delivered a few months back during more serious COVID times (IIRC it was 24th May) and despite the fact there had been articles in natoinal newspapers where Amazon promised social distancing would be observed for orders that require age verificiation (basically they were suposed to ring your bell, step back, wait for you to show them an ID through a window, deliver package), but the deliveryman refused to deliver without a signature! This despite the person at the door being 73yrs ******* old!

Anyway I logged on to amazon live chat armed with one of these newspaper articles and first hand account from a friend who had recently had a whisky delivery and didn't have to sign for it, and would they accept it through amazon chat? Nope, all alcohol deliveries need a signature. Anyway, the thing with amazon chat is that if you take longer than 60seconds or so to reply back to them they break their chat and you have to wait to be connected to someone new. I'm on the chat for almost an hour with these idiots, getting punted from one person to the next as they ask me to verify **** that needed time for me to verifiy, got through SEVEN amazon CS personnel and FINALLY they put me through to a manager... who upon me stating the issue said "you're correct, our policy is that a signature is not required"! They apologised and gave me a £10 gift card in the end.

Last edited by Shingster; 11-08-2020 at 15:08.
Old 11-08-2020, 15:10   #8
basegreen
neergesab

I had loads of booze from amazon delivered, they usually ask for DOB or show ID. never a signature.

They've recently started sending booze via Hermes for me.
basegreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 19:32   #9
Shingster
Trusted User

I's had loads os whisky/rum deliveries as well up until that point, and they've never asked for a signature, they literally started to ask for my signature during lockdown! So they changed to a policy of social contact during a pandemic. You couldn't make this **** up!
Thanked once by:
GalaxyBlue (12-08-2020)
Old 13-08-2020, 22:56   #10
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,238 Times in 880 Posts
An adult is supposed to receive booze. Woman delivery woman had a go at me for not being in, I pointed out it wasn't my fault it just got delivered on a random day.

Can't say I've noticed a problem with their CS, latest was I was promised a 2 pack of coffee and only one came, got a full refund and could keep the item.

I've also known them to take stuff back on trust, seems to be who you get.

They left an item out in the rain to the point that the box had disintegrated, it took me about an hour to explain why I couldn't return it by sticking a sticker on the box, round and round it went.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 16:14   #11
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I’ve noticed they don’t ask for feedback after ending a chat anymore. Agents now don’t give a crap and don’t apologise if things have gone wrong.

Didn’t we all see this coming though? Years of top quality CS, amazing prices and trust. Once they gained the monopoly it all goes down the toilet.

Their pricing hasn’t been that competitive for years now anyway. I’m slowly moving back to individual retailers. Getting my books from Blackwells, BDs direct from indie labels etc. Actually prefer getting stuff via Royal Mail since they have access to my block of flats while Amazon Logistics need to be buzzed in.

I’m monitoring my Amazon spending to see if Prime is still worthwhile. Video has always been a bit rubbish and would never pay for that alone.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 11:46   #12
qpw3141
Unregistered user

Amazon seem to be shooting themselves in the foot in many ways, now.

Amazon logistics is a nightmare. If you use free delivery, as I do, they generally tell you the item(s) will be delivered 5-7 days hence.

At some random point in the interim they tell you that the item(s) have been dispatched and will be delivered in two days time.

The next day, at around 11:30 they announce that they'll be delivering that day in a 6 hour time slot.

I must admit that the do manage to deliver before the end of the time slot. Unfortunately, they also sometimes deliver before the beginning of the time slot.

It was dramatically better when the used Royal Mail.

And Prime was rubbish for me (after Prime Day, for which I bought it and saved myself well over £200).

Every time I tried to use one of the facilities for which they'd hiked the price from ~£39 to ~£79 they wanted more money:

Listen to an album? Join some extra prime add on for ~£7 a month
Read a free book? Join Prime unlimited for ~£7 a month
Watch film? That'll be £3:45, thank you.

What was a real scam, though, was that if you used the fire-stick, and tried to watch a - say - BBC programme the 'wrong' way, it would try and get you to pay for it, even though it was available free on iPlayer.

Up until a couple of years or so back Amazon were excellent - at least from a customer point of view. Now they are going down hill fast.

The latest thing I noticed is that Prime delivery is no longer 'next day', but simply 'premium'. Mind you, even when I was a member, they rarely delivered much the next day.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
driver8 (15-08-2020)
Old 15-08-2020, 13:33   #13
The Bear

I'm still not seeing any of these problems with Prime.

I ordered a set of books the other day at 10:30 and it was delivered at 19:30 on the same day. Which is what it told me would happen.
Old 15-08-2020, 14:05   #14
qpw3141
Unregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I'm still not seeing any of these problems with Prime.

I ordered a set of books the other day at 10:30 and it was delivered at 19:30 on the same day. Which is what it told me would happen.
Yes, well, obviously you are:

(1) ordering books,CD's or DVD's which they can, probably manage better.
(2) living in one of the few areas where they offer same day delivery, which they can, counter-intuitively, probably manage better.

I suspect, even at you location, if you try and order a wider variety of goods you will encounter problems.

I really don't think Amazon are picking on me.
Old 15-08-2020, 14:33   #15
The Bear

I've ordered plenty of stuff over the last 6 months. PC parts, health supplements, cables, perfume, CDs, gloves, a drill, batteries, car dehumidifier, etc.

I guess I've just been lucky.
Old 15-08-2020, 14:54   #16
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpw3141 View Post
Yes, well, obviously you are:
(1) ordering books,CD's or DVD's which they can, probably manage better.
Aren't they all just boxes on shelves, though?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 16:22   #17
qpw3141
Unregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Aren't they all just boxes on shelves, though?
Yes, but the items I mentioned have a much higher value to density ratio and Amazon can afford to keep quantities of all at enough locations to provide the best level of service.
Thanked once by:
driver8 (15-08-2020)
Old 15-08-2020, 16:28   #18
qpw3141
Unregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I've ordered plenty of stuff over the last 6 months. PC parts, health supplements, cables, perfume, CDs, gloves, a drill, batteries, car dehumidifier, etc.

I guess I've just been lucky.
If you've got all of those by the next day, yes, you have been very lucky.

When I had prime, my main gripe was not the waiting, it was that I had assumed that with their (at the time) 'free next day delivery' come on, I would be able to wait until it was guaranteed that there was going to be someone in the next day, and order all the stuff I wanted.

What invariably happened was that the order was split and sent over two or three days.
Old 15-08-2020, 17:53   #19
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,010 Times in 438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpw3141 View Post
If you've got all of those by the next day, yes, you have been very lucky.

When I had prime, my main gripe was not the waiting, it was that I had assumed that with their (at the time) 'free next day delivery' come on, I would be able to wait until it was guaranteed that there was going to be someone in the next day, and order all the stuff I wanted.

What invariably happened was that the order was split and sent over two or three days.
You can select Amazon day delivery now. That means everything is always delivered on that day.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 19:09   #20
The Bear

The only things that haven't been the next day have had the delivery estimate in a few days time when ordering. Invariably it turns up a bit earlier than that.

Last edited by The Bear; 15-08-2020 at 19:10.