Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 17-01-2007, 20:57   #21
chrisns
Common or Garden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist
To be honest, I would just start the books as soon as you can because they are such an enjoyable read.
I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion too.
chrisns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 21:58   #22
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Even working on the premise of one season per year, you're still looking to at least 2012 before book 5 is televised - the books themeselves should be done by then.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 02:43   #23
Guest 8391
Gamertag: FreelanceBard

His involvement with the show might slow his writing down though.
Guest 8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 04:23   #24
roddy
Trusted User

Or it might give him a kick up the arse. Either way - the books are worth reading, and I'd say that even if Mr Martin got the lurgy and died tomorrow, god forbid. Sure, you'd be left wanting more, but you'd have read a set of damned fine books.

Sansa being thirteen could be an issue. I guess they could add three years to all the kids ages? Would at least mean they don't have to worry about Rob's voice breaking.

Has anyone seen anything about when this might actually be on screen?
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 18:16   #25
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

HBO is probably daring enough to show under-age sex, just as long as the actors are old enough!

I don't believe anything has been announced as to when this will be shown, I would guess that pre-production will begin this year and the earliest we can expect it to air would be some point next year.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 16:33   #26
Guest 25704
xboxlive : see jay dee

I'm soooo conflicted by this. I love the Ice and Fire series... but I've always thought of it as unfilmable. Not just because of the age of lots of the characters, but the overall scale of the books, whilst each chapter works as a short story the overall tale that they weave are so interconnected that leaving out any detail could make the following parts of the story really confusing. (Though all the underage sex and violence could be a bit problematic too.)
HBO doing a book a series is by far the best option, it'd never work as films but even so. There's so much that happens in the background that you only later realise is integeral to the plot. Surely they could only work out what's setting the scene, and what is disguised really important stuff after the final book has been written?
I'd rather that they did Hedge Knight or The Sworn Sword first to see if they could pull it off properly.
I do have hope though, GRRM has had plenty of experience in the TV/Film industry.

On a slightly unrelated note I really hope that Bronn gets some first person chapters in the next book.
Guest 25704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 17:46   #27
roddy
Trusted User

Quote:
There's so much that happens in the background that you only later realise is integeral to the plot.
I think it's quite simple. The 'Previously on Song of Fire and Ice" section will consist of all previous episodes shown in their entirety, at subliminal speed. Simple.

More seriously, they are realistically going to have to make some cuts, but even so if the production does take place on the scale they are talking about, there's a hell of a lot of story-telling time. I think book purists who want to complain about the conversation on page 137, book 3, being cut out and how it's a travesty as it's essential to the characters' development are going to find plenty to complain about (and tragically there are people like that. Someone once told me he was disappointed Lord of the Rings 'didn't have more of the songs'). But I suspect if it's done well anyone who's willing to take the TV show on its own terms - as a reworking for the small screen rather than an attempt to reproduce the books - will be happy.

Another good point is that the author can now publish all the future books just as blacked out pages and call them 'spoilers'. Should save him a bit of time.
Old 21-01-2007, 18:01   #28
riz1
Trusted User

he hasn't even finished writing the series yet and we get the Tele-series already?
Excellent!
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 18:41   #29
Guest 25704

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy
I think book purists who want to complain about the conversation on page 137, book 3, being cut out and how it's a travesty as it's essential to the characters' development are going to find plenty to complain about (and tragically there are people like that. Someone once told me he was disappointed Lord of the Rings 'didn't have more of the songs').
Yeah, I know what you mean but... Lord of the Rings has a really really simple core story 'there's an evil ring which has to be chucked in a volcano' people get hung up on the periphery, which can be cut and the story will retain it's core.
Ice and Fire on the other had (aside from the very first chapter) isn't really fantasy in the traditional sense. It's politcal intrigue and as such the subtlties are important. When the fantasy elements of the book do come to the fore (though never really overshadowing the human drama) it's quite late on in the story. The books are long and full of detail, but as far as I've seen there's almost no superfluous bits that add length and nothing else. (Apart from maybe Brienne's part of the story, but I'm betting that that part of the story will have an impact in the later books.)
Old 21-01-2007, 18:59   #30
Guest 25704

Okay slight revision of what I just wrote. I'm sure that bits and pieces will be cut, but for the life of me I can't see what would be easily trimable bits that wouldn't affect the story much. Maybe do it like the most recent book and only focus on a specific geographical region. So say, no Dany in the first series?
Old 21-01-2007, 20:52   #31
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMundi
I'm soooo conflicted by this. I love the Ice and Fire series... but I've always thought of it as unfilmable.
Interesting, I've always considered them a perfect candidate for film. The books are told mainly through dialogue, which will work very well.

I can't imagine too much will need to be cut out at all, 12 or 13 hours for a single book is a wonderfully huge amount. A Game of Thrones, being the shortest, should be no problem.

I've read about many people saying "maybe Dany should be held back until the second series". I personally think that's an awful idea.
Old 15-04-2007, 21:56   #32
chrisns
Common or Garden Member

Just thought I'd give this a bump, since that I'm half way through the third book now and absolutely loving it. Cheers for the recommendations, chaps.

I've already started to mentally do the castings for the show, with Tricia Helfer getting the role of Cersei and Ciaran Hinds as Eddard Stark. Is Brian Blessed too old to be get Robert Baratheon?
Old 15-04-2007, 21:59   #33
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

It's surprising how many people have the same ideas for actors: http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/

I guess it's a testament to how well written the characters are. Though personally I've always imagined James Callis (Baltar from BSG) as Theon Greyjoy.
Old 15-04-2007, 22:33   #34
chrisns
Common or Garden Member

Some very interesting casting going on there (Ralf Moeller as Shagga? Perhaps, but surely if there was ever a man born to play Gregor Clegane, it's Ralf) but for the most part it looks like an interesting list. A little too much Hollywood talent in there for my taste, but 'pigeonoverlord' is clearly onto something. Damian Lewis and Edmure Tully is a stroke of genius.

It's a shame Callis couldn't play Jaime for the obvious chemistry he has going with Tricia. I'm picturing James McAvoy as Jon Snow, but he's the sort of actor who could pull off any of the main roles.
Old 14-09-2007, 17:46   #35
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Not much news appeared about this since the original announcment, but I recently found an interview (from August) in which Martin says the first draft of the script is complete and awaiting approval by HBO.
Old 16-06-2008, 12:33   #36
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Latest news is that, should the show get the greenlight, the BBC will be financially involved (much as they were for Rome). I wouldn't expect this show to be as expensive as Rome, especially for the first book, since most locations consist of forests, castles, fields and medieval villages.
Old 16-06-2008, 13:17   #37
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Latest news is that, should the show get the greenlight, the BBC will be financially involved (much as they were for Rome). I wouldn't expect this show to be as expensive as Rome, especially for the first book, since most locations consist of forests, castles, fields and medieval villages.
Here's GRRM's blog entry on that news. It's worth pointing out that at this stage the series has still not been greenlit; it's just another script under consideration.

I do hope HBO go ahead with it, and stick with it. They should be the best channel to film it "warts and all".

Last edited by smst; 16-06-2008 at 13:17.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 13:25   #38
Guest 4466
Out of the water

BTW, could somebody change the thread title please? It's "A Song Of Ice And Fire", not the other way around.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 09:59   #39
roddy
Trusted User

Progress, of a sort. HBO have used their option to purchase the rights. Doesn't mean it'll actually get made, but . . .
Old 21-09-2008, 10:07   #40
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

It's an encouraging sign at least, but yeah I think this is still a long way off.