Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2006, 16:13   #141
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
After last summer, I can't see LFC dealing with Benfica ever again
compared to seville benfica are angels when it comes to negotiating
Old 30-06-2006, 16:35   #142
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

According to Koptalk - yeah I know !!! - Seville are telling the Spanish media that a £10.5M fee has been agreed for Alves [ whilst the Echo is claiming the deal is dead and we are going for Pennant ] .... we are now just haggling over size of the initial payment.
Old 30-06-2006, 17:19   #143
saltysam
Trusted User

if true 10.5 mill for a full-back/right wing hybrid is a bit pricey.
Old 30-06-2006, 17:23   #144
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Im really warming to Pennant now to be honest, proven premiership winger, reckon he could easily be as good as Ronaldo for United, if so id be happy.

And it then allows us the Kuyt deal.

Last edited by Burned_Alive; 30-06-2006 at 17:24.
Old 30-06-2006, 17:24   #145
saltysam
Trusted User

will gonzalez quitting international football affect his work permit edit already posted earlier sorry

Last edited by saltysam; 30-06-2006 at 17:27.
Old 30-06-2006, 17:44   #146
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam
if true 10.5 mill for a full-back/right wing hybrid is a bit pricey.
but a price Rafa is obviously willing to pay ... and not that much than we initially offered IIRC.
Old 30-06-2006, 17:56   #147
saltysam
Trusted User

we offered 4.5 million for him lbeginning of last season. he's no doubt a good player,rafa is obviously a fan,just hope it doesn't affect our other targets because we definitely need another striker imo
Old 30-06-2006, 20:08   #148
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

According to the Dave Usher [LiverpoolWay] - who is normally pretty accurate as a source ....

Quote:
Ajax full back Hatem Trabelsi is currently on Merseyside discussing a possible Bosman transfer to the reds. The Tunisia defender flew in to Liverpool airport from Holland today after Rafa Benitez finally appeared to have accepted defeat in his attempt to sign Sevilla's Daniel Alves. The reds were hoping to bring in Alves to play predominantly on the right of midfield, as well as providing cover for the right back spot.

However, Sevilla have steadfastly refused to budge on their £12m asking price, which was out of Liverpool's price range, and Benitez has now set his sights on a cut price double swoop for Trabelsi and Jermaine Pennant to give him more options on the right flank.

The rest of the transfer kitty will be used to try and prise Dirk Kuyt away from Feyenoord. Dutch full back Jan Kromkamp is expected to return to Holland, with Ajax his most likely destination as the Amsterdam club look to replace Trabelsi. There is also the possibility that Benitez may try to use Kromkamp as part of a package to tempt Feyenoord into selling Kuyt.

Kromkamp's signing was only ever seen by Benitez as a shrewd piece of business, as not only did he manage to offload Josemi as part of the deal, he knew he could raise £2-3m by selling the Dutchman back to his homeland this summer.
If we do get Pennant, I just hope that balstino and the like - slate him as much as Bellamy. After all, which one wears the tag again ??

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 30-06-2006 at 20:09.
Old 30-06-2006, 20:15   #149
john316
XBL: morro316

I'd be happier with Trabelsi and Pennant instead of Alves if it means another striker can be purchased. Still not sold on Alves and espically not at £10m+
Old 30-06-2006, 20:44   #150
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
According to the Dave Usher [LiverpoolWay] - who is normally pretty accurate as a source ....

If we do get Pennant, I just hope that balstino and the like - slate him as much as Bellamy. After all, which one wears the tag again ??
if bellamy was still playing for newcastle you'd be slating him as well adam pennant for all his sins doesn't appear to be a horrible git-my problem with him would be i don't think he's good enough for us.hope if he comes he proves me wrong.
Old 30-06-2006, 22:04   #151
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
if bellamy was still playing for newcastle you'd be slating him as well adam pennant for all his sins doesn't appear to be a horrible git-my problem with him would be i don't think he's good enough for us.hope if he comes he proves me wrong.
I have never really had any problem with bellamy at all - either on or off the pitch. he is a very good player.

don't really know much about pennant since the tag was put on but as for the quality on the pitch ... he is a Championship player - not good enough IMO
Old 30-06-2006, 22:10   #152
john316

Quote:
I have never really had any problem with bellamy at all - either on or off the pitch. he is a very good player.

don't really know much about pennant since the tag was put on but as for the quality on the pitch ... he is a Championship player - not good enough IMO
He was Birmingham's best player last season
He was Leeds' best player when they were relegated
(I accept both were relegated )

I think under Rafa, he can make that step up from being a very good player for lower PL teams to be being a very good player for a top PL side. And at least he can take a corner unlike our hopeless encumbents
Old 30-06-2006, 22:15   #153
saltysam
Trusted User

wenger who is a top manager and can spot a good player obviously saw enough of pennant to decide he wasn't up to it. we need players to take us up to the next level,pennant is a squad player at best imo.
Old 30-06-2006, 23:13   #154
MartinC
Trusted User

thought Trabelsi had a good game last week first half... looked very handy.. but from what I remember the opposing team weren't playing with any width so he was able to attack at will almost.

no problems with Pennant, great crosser of the ball, and pacy.

Gonzalez on one wing, Pennant on the other.. Kewell & Trabelsi as backup... plus the likes of Risse and Aurelio also.
Old 01-07-2006, 00:25   #155
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

I doubt Liverpool will give up on Alves as despite Sevilla's messing around they're surely looking to sell. Hinkel hasn't gone there to be back-up for Alves at RB and Alves is unlikely to displace Sevilla's golden boy Navas from right midfield.

Quote:
And Alves is a winger-cum-defender or do you really think Rafa is going to spend £10M on a player who is going to play out of position ?
No, he's definitely a defender-cum-winger. He played right back at Bahia in the clips I've seen and he wore the number 2 when he represented Brazil at World U20's. He was used as a winger when Ramos was at RB for Sevilla but reverted to his natural position where he looks better IMO.

Quote:
wenger who is a top manager and can spot a good player obviously saw enough of pennant to decide he wasn't up to it. we need players to take us up to the next level,pennant is a squad player at best imo.
On the other hand he saw enough in him to spend £2m in the first place. I really don't think Wenger letting him go was a reflection on his ability just his attitude.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:12   #156
Guest 1554
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316

I think under Rafa, he can make that step up from being a very good player for lower PL teams to be being a very good player for a top PL side. And at least he can take a corner unlike our hopeless encumbents
Weren't you saying the same thing about Hargreaves last summer when he was linked with us after the CL final?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:41   #157
john316

And he's starting to show for England that he is a very decent player
Old 01-07-2006, 10:13   #158
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Iscariot
No, he's definitely a defender-cum-winger. He played right back at Bahia in the clips I've seen and he wore the number 2 when he represented Brazil at World U20's. He was used as a winger when Ramos was at RB for Sevilla but reverted to his natural position where he looks better IMO.
People in the know insists RW is his more natural position ... and, again, when you're struck for cash as LFC apparently are you don't spend £10M a player who isn't going to play most of the season - he ain't going to do that as cover for Finnan.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:35   #159
Guest 34961
ɹǝǝuıbuǝ ǝsɹǝʌǝɹ

Quote:
People in the know insists RW is his more natural position ... and, again, when you're struck for cash as LFC apparently are you don't spend £10M a player who isn't going to play most of the season - he ain't going to do that as cover for Finnan.
Exactly, ive also tried telling everyone this earlier in the thread, but they werent having any of it. Looks like it wont matter now with the deal set to flop.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:06   #160
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Quote:
At £10m I'm sure he's not going to be used as backup but that doesn't mean RW is his natural position. You only have to to have seen him play both positions for Sevilla to see where he's most comforatable, he's a classic Brazillian attacking full-back who can also play as a winger.

Last edited by Pisces Iscariot; 01-07-2006 at 11:07.
Closed Thread