Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 12-06-2006, 11:49   #1
Kryten
Administrator

Best noise cancelling headphones?

Ok, I am still travelling a lot so I'm looking for some good noise cancelling headphones to use on planes. So far I have looked at:

Bose QC2 - nice but very expensive
Sure e2c (I think that's the model?) - again quite expensive and seem to be sound isolation just using ear plugs which I don't usually find comfortable
Sennheiser PXC200 - These seem to be regular band type headphones which I am not sure are that good for travelling?

At the moment I am using regular iPod headphones after breaking my Sennheiser MX400's. I like the in-ear style and I find them comfortable but I am not sure that there are any decent noise cancelling ones out there of that style?

So does anyone have any comments on any? I am trying not to spend too much if I can but if the need arises I will pay to get a good pair for those noisy planes and the times I'm stuck behind the wing on flights
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55   #2
Geoggy
Gamertag : Geoggy

one of our consultants at work that is forever atlantic hopping swears by the bose.
Geoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09   #3
Kryten
Administrator

Yeah, that's what I think I may end up with. They are quite large but hte case does hold an iPod which is useful. I guess if I bought a new laptop bag too that can take the case (my current one probably can't) then its a no-brainer apart from the cost of about $400USD for a pair of headphones

Last edited by Kryten; 12-06-2006 at 12:10.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 15:33   #4
kohoutec
Slanted and Enchanted

I've got the Shure E2Cs - you're right, its just isolation, not cancelling. I doubt you would get on that well with them if you dont like plugs, the provided plastic plugs arent particularly comfortable...you also get little foam ones, they're comfy but a bit fiddly. Mine just gather dust now, I bought some Sennheiser CX300's and havent looked back. Nice and portable, comfortable and to my ears better sounding than the Shures (cheaper too!). Again they are only isolating so may not be what you're after, but if you were considering the E2Cs you should definately look at these as an alternative.

Last edited by kohoutec; 12-06-2006 at 15:34.
kohoutec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 15:55   #5
Kryten
Administrator

I may have to take a look but I really can't think that they will be comfortable?
Old 12-06-2006, 15:56   #6
GregB
Stagger Lee

For a wedding present I got my wife the Sennheiser PXC300 and she absolutley loves them. They fold up into a carry case which is very useful. The only downside is the Noise cancelling bit is quite bulky but as it also fits in the carry case it's not a major issue.

I have tried them out and was equally impressed especially when compared against my paltry non cancelling PX200s.

I have briefly tried out the Bose but unforuntaly not on a plane so can't really compare but I'd be amazed if they were really worth the massive price differnece
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 16:09   #7
Kryten
Administrator

Thanks, those were the Senn's I was thinking of! I may well hav eto give them a go as I really can't justify the more expenive Bose ones. I think I can probably pick up the Senn's in the US cheaper. I will look when I am out there next week
Old 12-06-2006, 20:09   #8
Guest 337
I hate Hewlett Packard

I've got the Shure E2s and think they're great. They seemed much more effective, even than the bose when I tried them side by side. Mine came with 3 types of plugs. The har plastic ones which aren't all that comfortable, softer plastic ones and some foam ones. I use the soft plastic ones and get on with them just fine.

They do take some getting used to though. It's a bit of an art to get a good seal but once you've got the hang of it there's no looking back.
Guest 337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 21:42   #9
Hasselhoffia
chest hair connoisseur

Sennheiser PXC300 user here, for about 9 months now. Picked 'em up for about £90 online (using Froogle) as couldn't justify the £300 of the Bose's. Bose in NZ/Aussie do a 30 day money back trial, couldn't find the same offer in the UK.

The Senn's ear pads were smaller then I thought they would be, the Bose's obviously cover the whole ear, whereas the Senn's just sit on the side. You lose the full enclosure effect. But, those Bose's are big. The Senn's you can easily pack in with the rest of your gear in your day pack. Also wearable around the neck if need be.

The noice cancellation unit is a bit cumbersome, but I can easily walk around with it in my jeans pocket. Get's a few looks from the ladies. Added bonus is it also acts as an amplifier, and this really helps out with giving your music some solid bass boost from your DAP (mine's a Sony NW-HD3). Sound is very good. I've taken to using these as my full time street headphone's now, doing away with my Sennheiser PMX60's.

Comfortwise, they're good. Have travelled to NZ and back with them on full time (that's 24 hours or so each way) and didn't really have a problem. Slight squishing of the ears perhaps, but certainly not painful. Trips back n forth to Switzerland from the UK (hour and a half) are fine.

And the sound cancellation. When I first got them, I was in the office with the raaar of the air conditioning. Flicked the on switch and my word! The difference was astonishing! It cut out the raaaaar completely. Even walking in to work in London the difference was good, cut out the background road noise, meant I could turn the volume down a bit to save the ears. On the plane, slightly different story. It doesn't cut out the sound completely. It does reduce the raaaaaar of the airconditioning down to a low rooooor, but you can still hear it, don't expect miracles. You can still hear people talking next to you perfectly. Was nice to be able to hear more of the music and inflight movies without having to overcrank the volume.

Would be interesting to compare cancelling performance with the Bose's and the Shure's. I'd expect the Shure's to be the most effective as they are in effect an earplug, but you have to get the right fit. The Bose's could be better then the Senn's due to the over-ear design.

I think I went for the Senn's as I was thinking I could eBay them later if they didn't agree with me without losing too much. Was also thinking I could get a pair of Shure E3c's AND a pair of Senn PXC300's for the price of the Bose's.

Still haven't felt the need to get E3c's.

Last edited by Hasselhoffia; 18-06-2006 at 09:35.
Hasselhoffia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 06:51   #10
Kryten
Administrator

Great review Sounds like the Senn's are the way to go. I have used noice-cancelling headphones on planes before (They give them to you on Virgin Upper Class) so I kind of know what to expect. The main thing is that I really want to turn the music down a little to save my hearing as I spend a lot of time on planes (~80 flights per year!) so figured it was time to do this so my iPod isn't at near max vol all the time!

I agree that the Sure E3c's would be best probably but really can't stand ear plug type headphones as I just can't think that they will be comfortable.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:47   #11
Guest 48579
Banned

I used to fly all the time, and I had the sennheiser 250's..

I absolutely hated them. I found the noise cancelling unit bulky and a complete pain, the headphones uncomfortable, and the sound quality uninspiring to say the least.

I then tried the 200's and hated them too. I now use the 100's and found them brilliant.

This review sums it up for me.

Can the 300's really be that much better?
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 10:26   #12
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
I used to fly all the time, and I had the sennheiser 250's..

I absolutely hated them. I found the noise cancelling unit bulky and a complete pain, the headphones uncomfortable, and the sound quality uninspiring to say the least.

I then tried the 200's and hated them too. I now use the 100's and found them brilliant.

This review sums it up for me.

Can the 300's really be that much better?
Hmm, I just read that review and it seems to say that a pair of headphones without a load of noise cancelling electronics sounds better that one with them in a quiet enviroment

Well d-uh!

If you're shelling out for noise cancelling phones, you're obviously planning to use them somewhere noisy...

And Kryten, if you do get the Senns in America I'd love to hear what you think of them because I've been looking at them too.

Last edited by bollecks; 18-06-2006 at 10:27.
bollecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 15:47   #13
Guest 48579
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks
Hmm, I just read that review and it seems to say that a pair of headphones without a load of noise cancelling electronics sounds better that one with them in a quiet enviroment

Well d-uh!

If you're shelling out for noise cancelling phones, you're obviously planning to use them somewhere noisy...

And Kryten, if you do get the Senns in America I'd love to hear what you think of them because I've been looking at them too.
Yeah, but surely you'll want to use them everywhere???

And trust me, the 250's sound a LOT worse than the 100's.
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 15:55   #14
Kryten
Administrator

Quote:

And trust me, the 250's sound a LOT worse than the 100's.
Nope, I only use my iPod when travelling so always noisy environment (usually a plane - I do ~80 flights per year remember!). I have some other Senn's for use at home!
Old 18-06-2006, 17:05   #15
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
No, just on planes and trains when it's noisy. I've got Sennheiser ear buds for normal use, but they're useless on a plane.
Old 26-06-2006, 18:07   #16
dan99
Trusted User

Up until now, I've been using a £40 pair of naff Panasonic noise canceling headphones on flights, but I managed to sit on them a few days ago and snapped the headband. They we're ok at their job and they we're un-comfortable. Anyway, I'm returning from the states this Friday and need a new, decent, pair.....

I've been looking at the Quiet Comfort 2 and the Sennheiser PXC300. Went to the bose shop yesterday and looked at the QC2's, but they're too big, I told the guy that I didn't want to look like a Cyberman (he didn't get it - American) so he pulled out the new Quiet Comfort 3 headphones. They're much much smaller than the QC2. They sit on your ear, not around them and it's got some sort of memory foam cusion thing on it so that it makes a snug comfortable fit on your ear. The sound + noise cancelling was fantastic + they're very comfortable. Oh, and they're rechargable - the battery lasts 20 hrs.
Only downside, and it's a big one, is that they're $350.

I'm trying to weigh up if I should get these or the much cheaper Sennheiser's. I haven't tried the Sennheiser's yet and I've seen some mixed reviews on them, so I'm leaning toward's the Bose. Will let you know how they are after the flight (if my wife doesn't kill me for buying them).

Dan
dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 18:59   #17
Hasselhoffia
chest hair connoisseur

They do look a lot smaller, but ouch! $350, which will translate to £350 no doubt. They do do the 30 days trial according to the US site, would be good if the UK did the same.
Hasselhoffia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 19:36   #18
Guest 473
Trusted User

Of potential use to you if you're travelling through airports all the time ... anything from a BAA store has a standard return policy to encourage spur-of-the-moment purchases. Given that dixons sell senns and should be able to get any of the models in stock if you phone ahead it may be a good ploy to buy & try with the option of returning to any dixons store.
http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index...ustomerservice
Guest 473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 00:40   #19
dan99
Trusted User

I went to buy the QC3 today, but the charger on the US version only takes 110v. They wanted $50 for a travel pack to get a 240v charger. Cheeky ********. For $350 and the fact that it is supposed to be designed for travel you expect a charger that can take 110-240v.
Anyway I didn't buy it in the end out of principle, probably get the PXC300 instead.
dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 01:10   #20
Kryten
Administrator

I'm looking at the Senn's for sure. Amazon.com have them cheap(ish) and I can get them delivered to my hotel next-day for ~$10. I'll take a look at local electronics stores to see how they compare for prices first though.