Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 15-07-2005, 21:54   #1
Guest 17778
Alias

Deer Park user anyone ? How do you find it? Had to use it as FF drove me nuts !

Was doing some mini maintainence/tidy up on my laptop, and upgraded a few pieces of program like Antivirus, Adaware....etc to the latest version. Then notice i was still using Firefox 0.92 so i thought i upgrade.

Big Mistake.........Firefox refuse to load after new install, so i reinstalled it, still the same. Tried version 1.04, same thing. The program loads up but refuse to load anything, got it to work once after a reboot, but once I close the program, it wouldn't load any pages again. IE works fine so i know WiFi is working.

So, i remember that Deer Park Alpha came out this week and gave it a whisl, not only it fixed the problem it seem to load faster than Firefox too. On top of that, most of my extentions still work !

Is anyone using it and how are you finding it?
Guest 17778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 22:15   #2
Hex
Chemical Member

almost gave it a try after that link in the firefox 1.0.5 thread but the bit on the download page saying that current users of 1.0.x shouldn't use it put me off a bit. Any other noticeable changes other than the load time?
Old 15-07-2005, 22:29   #3
PlexShaw
XBL/PSN/iOS: PlexShaw

I'm generally not too keen on using alpha builds of software I would consider to be vital - well certainly better than using IE anyway...

I would spend the time trying to find out why the release version of Firefox won't work properly. Did you simply upgrade over the top of the 0.92 beta version? And, after that failed, did you delete all the Firefox related folders (in both Program Files and Application Data) before attempting to reinstall version 1.0.5?
PlexShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 22:34   #4
Guest 17778
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexShaw
I'm generally not too keen on using alpha builds of software I would consider to be vital - well certainly better than using IE anyway...

I would spend the time trying to find out why the release version of Firefox won't work properly. Did you simply upgrade over the top of the 0.92 beta version? And, after that failed, did you delete all the Firefox related folders (in both Program Files and Application Data) before attempting to reinstall version 1.0.5?
I upgraded due to some newer extentions don't work - Gmail for example. And 1.05 gave me no problems with my desktop so i went for it. But straight away it went a bit funny, the program loads up but none of the buttons work, it won't load up any pages. I've tried moving the folder and unstall then reboot and reinstall, it just for some reason doesn't work. It is very odd that Deer Park works, since Deer Park Look practically identical to Firefox.

Last edited by raymondlin; 15-07-2005 at 22:34.
Old 15-07-2005, 22:39   #5
Dean[SAS]
Trusted User

I use deer park and i do find it crashes a fair bit, but i just submit the crash report back to the team and feel happy i might of helped Crashes in firefox don't bother me ass i can just use the Go-> History List, unlike IE.
Dean[SAS] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 22:57   #6
Guest 136
Trusted User

raymondlin did you create a new profile as deer park may be using the left over profile from firefox and this causes loads of issues. (can also cause issues when upgrading firefox releases)

I orginally installed Deer Park Alpha 1 without removing the old profile and this caused loads of problems such as grinding to a halt, input boxes not working, etc. After I created a new profile it worked without any further problems and has not crashed once.

Tried out Camino Release version but found it lacking in features, then tried the stable dev release but it crashed all the time.

Have now Deer Park Alpha 2 and not had any crashing yet. (had a problem with Tab Mix Plus disabling text entry in the location bar, uninstalling this and installing the non Plus version solved this)

Last edited by Chris; 15-07-2005 at 22:58.
Guest 136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 22:59   #7
Guest 17778
Alias

Chris

What did you mean by profile? I just removed Firefox (and the folders), and installed Deer Park.
Old 16-07-2005, 07:38   #8
Guest 136
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondlin
What did you mean by profile? I just removed Firefox (and the folders), and installed Deer Park.
The profile stores all the settings, bookmarks etc and is not always removed when you uninstall firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

On Windows just start go Start->Run and type firefox.exe -profilemanager

When the profile manager pops up click Create Profile, when done select the new profile and click Start Firefox.

If it works fine you can then backup the bookmarks etc from the old profile directory, see the making a partial backup here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Old 16-07-2005, 20:51   #9
Guest 17778
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
The profile stores all the settings, bookmarks etc and is not always removed when you uninstall firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

On Windows just start go Start->Run and type firefox.exe -profilemanager

When the profile manager pops up click Create Profile, when done select the new profile and click Start Firefox.

If it works fine you can then backup the bookmarks etc from the old profile directory, see the making a partial backup here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

I typed that in but all it did was open a new window of deer park .
Old 16-07-2005, 21:27   #10
Guest 136
Trusted User

Quote:
I typed that in but all it did was open a new window of deer park .
Close the browser, find the profile directory, open profiles.ini, change StartWithLastProfile=1 to StartWithLastProfile=0, save and start the browser.
Old 16-07-2005, 21:37   #11
Guest 17778
Alias

sorry chris, i am being dumb but i can't find the file you are refering to.
Old 16-07-2005, 21:47   #12
PlexShaw
XBL/PSN/iOS: PlexShaw

Quote:
As a user of Firefox 1.0.5, it's located at:

x:\Documents and Settings\~User Name~\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

This may be why you had problems with Firefox. I would guess that you didn't delete the Mozilla Application Data folder when trying to do a clean install.

Last edited by PlexShaw; 16-07-2005 at 21:49.
PlexShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:47   #13
Guest 136
Trusted User

Quote:
Should be in C:\Documents and Settings\Mozilla\Firefox\

Do a search for profile.ini (you will need to select advanced and include hidden.system files)
Old 16-07-2005, 22:13   #14
Guest 17778
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexShaw
As a user of Firefox 1.0.5, it's located at:

x:\Documents and Settings\~User Name~\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

This may be why you had problems with Firefox. I would guess that you didn't delete the Mozilla Application Data folder when trying to do a clean install.

I think that was probably why, anyhow, using Deer Park now, created a new profile and downloaded some extentions and it seems fine so far, look and feel identical to Firefox apart from the icon. Which is pretty

Using it now to type this, thanks gentleman.

One more question, how do i transfer cookies from firefox from my desktop to my laptop's Deer Park?

Last edited by raymondlin; 16-07-2005 at 22:14.
Old 16-07-2005, 22:27   #15
Guest 136
Trusted User

Quote:
One more question, how do i transfer cookies from firefox from my desktop to my laptop's Deer Park?
Copy cookies.txt from the profile directory.

If you want to transfer more (form data, bookmarks, passwords) copy the file mentioned here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

Deer Park Alpha 2 also introduces the new update system but it's currently disabled in Alpha 2 due to a couple of issues. It simplifies the whole update process, updates get downloaded and applied automatically during restart of the browser. For security updates they are downloaded silently in the background while your net connection is idle and then applied automatically.

Last edited by Chris; 16-07-2005 at 22:38.